PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo, Dollies and Black Marlin

Reel Blue
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
I have been fishing a fair bit with my son Sam over the last few weeks and for the last two days took out my youngest daughter Gemma, who is eleven. Gemma used to be a bit scared of the ocean and had a bad experience in the past getting sick. That is now ancient history as she reckons she is hooked on fishing and now wants to come all the time! She didn't even look like getting sick. This morning we trolled hard bodies first up at Hutchies and ended up with three wahoo boated, two on a blue x rap 30 and one on a halco red and white laser pro. Had another run but dropped it. The bite shut about 7:30 am so I changed to skirted 'Blacks Snacks' in a variety of colours. These have been very enticing for dollies and we boated two average fish with them yesterday around Hutchies.

Today we decided to try some new ground with the skirts and after a short troll the way back lure was taken by a Black. It had to hit the lightest rod, an 850 Penn Spinfisher loaded with 8kg line! Sam fought it really well for over 40 minutes. I don't own a tagging pole and could have tagged this fish on three or four separate occasions as we had it very close to the boat. I wanted to grab its bill and get it in the boat for a photo , but it kept just out of reach veering away and swimming down again. Eventually Sam got it up next to the boat for the fourth time and it was clearly exhausted. Heartbreakingly, just as I was sure I was about to lift it into the boat, the lure just fell from its mouth. It stayed on the surface for a little while before it slowly swam down. Thankfully we have plenty of the action on video and I have taken some stills from the video to post. ( Not the best quality as taken with small digital camera and converted from video.)

We put the lures back in the water and maybe only trolled for another 500 metres when a second Black took a 'Black Snacks' lure right up close the the back of the boat. I told Gemma to grab the rod and she fought the fish really well for quite some time. Some spanner crabbers were watching her and cheering her on. She got the fish close to the boat and it took us by surprise jumping over the motor and falling part way in the engine well. The line, again only 8 kg, slid along under the steering rod for a couple of seconds before sliding out. I think the line was damaged. The black took off with a screaming run and then eventually stopped. Gemma started to pump and wind to bring it back again and the line popped above the leader. The end of the line was quite chafed and frayed. Unfortunately some good photos of the wahoo on the boat were deleted to make space for the marlin video, so we had to take some more at home but they don't look as good dead.

A great day on the water despite not getting the marlin into the boat for some better photos. Looks like I might have to sneak out fishing without the kids sometimes, as when they are on the boat I'm relegated to driver! Actually I really enjoyed seeing the kids have so much fun.

Horse
12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
It does not get much better than that, sharing a day like yours with your kids

goona
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Reel Blue,

Thats awsome and having your kids getting them is the best part. I can't wait till my 5 year old boy gets that little bit older and starts coming out. Where do you get the "Black Snacks" from and what speed are you going to get strikes from all three species?

Thanks goona

DaMaGe
12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Awesome post with good info, and what a great time the kids would have had! Future gen right there!

outwide1
12-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Welldone martin and congrats to the kids,what a blast hey!Very addictive stuff when the snapper arent bitting and currents roaring.Heading out sunday,you?
MICK.

Reel Blue
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
There is a 'Blacks Snacks' Website that lists lures and distributors. I don't know a lot about skirted lures but these are extremely well made and they work. I aim to troll them at an average speed of 6.5 knots. This usually works out to be about 1800 rpm and 8.5 litres an hour from the yammie.

Greg P
12-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice stuff. I went past you guys in the trench when you were hooked up to the black. Very productive day at hutchies - I got 2 nice hoo and big cow dollie. Headed up to M/bah and got stuck into the spotties before heading home.

Cheers

Greg

captain rednut
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Martin
You Are Certainly Having Fun With The Kids On The Blacks Lately! Well Done And Good To See You Out There!
Many More Blacks To Come. Jim

sleepygreg
13-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Well done Martin. A top class report for a top class day. And the pics are awesome. Its great to see the next generation getting into the action.

Cheers
Greg

reel scream
13-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Thats awesome Martin. The kids would be stoked. You have had a good season so far. Hope to do the same today.

Cheers
Scott

kitty_cat
13-01-2010, 06:58 AM
hey mate great report i also got my boy into his first black on sunday he only had him on for a few good jumps and runs but still cant shut him up about it how awsome is it when the kids get involved.
well done
wayne

wak69
14-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Good to see the young ones enjoying it. great pics

cheers sam.

L Plates
14-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Once again good job mate...you are putting in the effort and the rewards are obvious. Well done to the kids. Still looking good for the weekend so hope to see you out there. Its a bugger when work gets in the way of a fishing trip!!

Rod

Reel Blue
14-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Rod,
Here is a photo of your dollie. Weekends looking good!