PDA

View Full Version : What a day @ Hutchies

goona
12-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi all,

What a day we had. We decided to do a full day of trolling something we were new at and had only dabbled in for an hour max at a time in my previous boat. So this essentially is something new to us. We started first at the front of the cape throwing poppers into the wash all to no avail. Then decided the trolling was the go. So the first brand new pusher was deployed and on whilst letting the line out it was smacked. I couldn't believe it was hit so quickly. No hook up though. I found it to check every thing was in order and found a plastic sleeve over the point of the hook. MMMMM something I usually check when reef fishing but missed during this new game. So off we go trolling Roberts first for about 1/2 and hour then off to Brennans then to Smiths past Flinders (Wide) then out to Hutchies to join the rest of the boats an this is where it all started happening. Strike after strike on Tuna both Striped and Mac Tuna was the norm. Total count was well over 30. We were running 5 rods 2 with pushers, 2 with jt heads and 1 Rapalla X Rap. Double and even Triple hook ups were the norm and with three of us on board there was action a plenty clearing rods and each having a go at retrieving fish.
Biggest Tuna was about 5kg not big but with 30 + caught we had a ball and it was definitely not boring. More action. In the distance I spotted feeding birds and in the middle was a big sickle tail smashing the bait. I changed course towards the birds and more tuna not the Marlin we could see. Eventually the Marlin did have a go grabbing a live hooked Tuna but that was lost in quick time. Another hooked Tuna and another Marlin hook up also lost with a third just following a pusher but not hooking up. We kept trolling and hooked up more tuna with another hit on the starboard side that was short lived and upon retrieval found 1 less Pakula pusher and a very clean cut through the 300lb Jinkai. Maybe a Wahoo?? What we did note is the majority of hook ups were between 10am to 3pm. Going with the swell and towards to the sun. We also tried altering our speed from 5 knots up to 12 running different lures, pushers, Jet heads etc but found 6 knots was the best and most productive on the Tuna. We also had a brand new Pakula witchdoctor out the back which I think got smacked as it is in very poor condition and delaminating. Try as we might we couldn't get a Marlin to strike the pushers with out having a live tuna on. Any tips are more than welcome. We are only beginners but will definitely be doing more of this trolling thing. I WANT A MARLIN!!!!We are going over to camp at Morton for a week starting next week so hopeully this will be when the first one will be boated. Fingers crossed for some good weather. I attached the young fella with one of the Tuna.

Goona

Tim_N
12-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a great day and one I'll bet your young bloke won't forget.
Get him back out there.
Tim

Midnight
12-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Great way to start your trolling expeditions.

Keep at it, great fun to be had! But of course there are the 0,0,0 days when you hear the bottom bashers bagging out on pearlies hahaha but thats fishin eh

Cheers,
Myles

outofcontrol
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
g'day,
has the witch doctor delaminated from the inside as one i had lost alot of the mirror from the under side of the plastic after one swim. i took it back and they replaced it.

outwide1
12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Sounds like a good day had by all,welldone.It would be good to see what hooks etc and how they are rigged on your skirted lures.300lb line on the lures is alot of over kill for small blacks and will affect hook ups and how the lure swims.Work on the theory that you wouldnt use that size line if you were useing plastics for snapper as they would shy away.PM me if you want and i can maybe help you with a few things,i dont know everything and never will but have listened and learnt alot from others in this feild.MICK,OUTWIDE1

reefer
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Goona,

I was told by someone when i bought a witchdoctor to run a bead of clear silicone between the edges of the mirrors and the main timber body of the teaser.

It seems to have worked.

Cheers,

Reefer.

DALEPRICE
12-01-2010, 08:01 PM
well done pete,
fantastic read, and sounds like a top day out,.
cheers dale

goona
12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Midnight. We intend to. It was great fun to have line pouring off the reels.

OutofControl, Yep exactly The delamination was from about 5mm from the edge. It looks like it is made from 3 piecesand the lead is put into the middle one and then the 2 sides are bonded together.

Outwide will do

Reefer Will do on the next one as I will be taking this one back. $230 for one days fishing is a bit much.

Goona

indy
12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey frog might be doing a hards overnighter this weekend let me no if your keen, should have come shouldn't have i sounds like a good day.

goona
12-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey frog might be doing a hards overnighter this weekend let me no if your keen, should have come shouldn't have i sounds like a good day.

Pete,

We are going to Morton Island camping from this Sunday to next Sunday. I am going by boat and the girl is taking the camper and the fourby over by barge/ferry. Hopefully we will get good weather again and we will you guessed it trolling at Hutchies again. That marlin itch needs scratching and we are dead keen on getting another one. If you want to come out you can tag along or around us an we can show you what we were doing with our limited knowledge.

Goona

lippa
12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
great effort todd. the blacks will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandman
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
i think i should stop reading reports when the boat is so far north :( god it seems to be active out there currently?

sleepygreg
13-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Well done Goona. It really gets you hooked when the smaller tuna start smacking lures. Those Macks look like a decent size....hope you kept a few to salt down as bottom baits...they are great for that....also great for cubing for their bigger cousins YFT. Looks like the season may be starting to happen finally.

Cheers
Greg

bushwacker
14-01-2010, 06:49 AM
If the bills were only interested in the tuna you could have tried bridle rigging one live then slow trolling it around 1-2 knts. If the tuna r bigish use a decent size hook 12/0 circles etc, sounds like a top day hopeing we get a good run of blacks at South West Rocks this season...