PDA

View Full Version : Palm Beach(QLD) reef

rids01
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
There's quite often a few spearos on palmy reef, I noticed one bloke diving with a sea kayak with a big mack tied up behind his kayak this morning. I've only ever speared around the headlands but I'm thinking about chasing some bigger fish and palm beach is my home ground.

Anyone here spear there often or know where I could get in contact with people who do? I'd need to buy some better gear but I'm hoping to get out there with a gun in the next 6 months at least.

Matt.

outsiderskip
12-01-2010, 03:56 AM
dont come near me
u mighjt get lured for chasing my fish off

pete

rids01
12-01-2010, 07:24 AM
From what I've seen, mackerel aren't particularly scared of people in the water

gr hilly
12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
i think you spearos as you call them should take more care than ever now water temps are getting warmer anualy chomp chomp

nigelr
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
You are right Ridsy, they can be inquisitive bu$$ers..............;)

nidrac
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
yeah mate, the sharks are a bit of a pain sometimes but with a bit of common sense they're alright.. as for scaring the fish away thats not true... we often spear while my old man fishes in the boat, we dive up ahead of the anchor and all the blood and commotion creates a great burley trail for him in the boat...

Nidrac..

kokomo
12-01-2010, 12:51 PM
dont come near me
u mighjt get lured for chasing my fish off

pete

i think you spearos as you call them should take more care than ever now water temps are getting warmer anualy chomp chomp

these are such uneducated comments.

macs and almost all pelagic fish are very interested in us in the water. they are definatley not scared.

yes there are sharks but they are of very little concern. after diving spearing freediving 1000's of time all up the east coast offshore i have only 2 times ever got out of the water because of a shark. it was just a precaution as they would not go away. one was a bullshark at smiths rock and the other was a tiger at the 7's

i would be more worried about skin cancer sitting int he boat. make sure you slip slop slap chump :D i feel safe in my wetsuit

Fish_gutz
13-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I`m sure their comments are all lighthearted kokomo.

PS ...... F#ck the bull sharks you can have them evil buggers. I would get outa the water also. Andrew

bondy99
13-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I use to have three nice sets of jaws on my wall sometime ago.

1 set from a large Tiger
1 set from a 6ft Bull and the other from a 5ft bronze.

The bull and bronze where good eating, the tiger, a different scenario, gave my fillets away to charity.

Peter

kokomo
14-01-2010, 01:09 PM
thankfully you cant take those big sharks up here any more

rids01
09-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Well to follow up this thread, some mates have called a last minute spearing trip to the palmy in the morning.
The only gear I have is a cheapo speargun with a prong tip that has rusted on so I can't change it. I'll have to borrow a gun.

Just discovered my wetsuit doesn't fit anymore.

So if anyones chasing mackeral at palmy in the morning I'll be the big idiot spearfishing in boardshorts and $30 fins. Should be tops.

frankgrimes
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
So if anyones chasing mackeral at palmy in the morning

Reckon there might be one or two ;)

Mick

rids01
10-04-2010, 11:50 AM
reef was packed. we wussed out and went into 25th ave, picked up two schoolies. saw some big spaniards back at the ramp, one from palmy and another from the gravel patch.

plastic_paul
16-04-2010, 07:33 AM
how many of u go out at a time?, im keen as (although my aim is sht as im a novice) have a yak and a tinnie but dont want to spear by myself, a tad too dangerous me thinks, PM me if you want someone else to go with, im based on the northern end of the coast but will travel down anyway, its worth it lol

rids01
17-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Just heard today about a bloke losing a spaniard to a 14ft tiger shark on palmy reef..... I might stick to kingscliff reef for the next few weeks........or next few months.

dan12345
18-04-2010, 07:54 AM
always somone who herd from another guy about a big shark who took another guys fish while spearing, bah hahahahaah yey lets try an scare the spearos.
from the local reefs with a shark story nice one,

plastic_paul
18-04-2010, 11:53 AM
nothing a shark shield wont fix ;-)

devocean
18-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Sharks and Spaniards go hand in hand - you need two blokes in the water- one to shoot the fish the other to scare away the sharks- If you are a bit weary buy a shark shield - they work excellent for me. You don't know what your missing - total adrenaline rush.

devocean
18-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Here is my last effort just under 24kg- make sure you have a float line, float anf flag on it so no one runs you over as well. These things will tow you around. As always common sense prevails- if you see a tiger shark get out of the water

plastic_paul
19-04-2010, 08:56 AM
nice fish, where was it taken? ocean looks a bit flat for around here yesterday!

Si
28-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Here is my last effort just under 24kg- make sure you have a float line, float anf flag on it so no one runs you over as well. These things will tow you around. As always common sense prevails- if you see a tiger shark get out of the water

very very nice fish devo!:P

few mackerel steaks in the freezer? yum. one of the better eating fish goin around. i rate them up there with red emps and coral trout.

Defore
24-06-2010, 10:44 AM
A Shark Shield is the way to go.
After having a shark grab my fish holding float and dragging me backwards a couple of meter, I bought one.
Now I feel safer and a lot less worried about the shark sneaking up from behind.

The only problem is keeping the other divers from swimming so close. Any closer and they would be inside my wetsuit with me. ::)

Franco
24-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Why get worried - he lost the fish, not his life or limb. This is not that uncommon spearing, as long as you have a structured, safe plan for this situation you can still enjoy your spearing.

Badone
25-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Harden up Defore, If you're worried about sharks take up a new sport. Part of the challenge is succeeding in the fish' realm not encasing ourselves in armor and taking the risk out of the sport. Most times its cool but sometimes it isn't. Thats the nature of the sport.

Defore
25-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I would use a submarine if I was sure the sharks didn't have can openers. ::)

Badone
25-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Lol... fair enough.;)

-Chris-
26-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Harden up Defore, If you're worried about sharks take up a new sport. Part of the challenge is succeeding in the fish' realm not encasing ourselves in armor and taking the risk out of the sport. Most times its cool but sometimes it isn't. Thats the nature of the sport.

The nature of spearfishing isn't to take risks with sharks, or risks what-so-ever, anyone who becomes complacent in any aspect of freediving and spearfishing will find out the hard way. Giving sharks respect in their natural environment is a good idea.

Spaniard_King
26-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Had a 10ft tiger snatch this 2m off the back of my boat a few years ago... have a look where do you think this was;D

You guys are game to be in the water when the macks are on:P

finga
27-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I'd be more worried about the multitude of boats above with lines floating about everywhere at Palmy then the noah's from below.
The place has more boats then Springwood Marine on a fine day.

Badone
27-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Chris, not sure what you mean?? Do you think diving without a shark shield is being complacent and not giving sharks their due respect? If so then 90% of spearos out there are guilty. I don't recall where i said that we should not respect sharks. Not worrying about sharks certainly shouldn't be interpreted as the same as being complacent. My point, that you seem to have missed, was that if you are so worried about getting eaten that you want to wear some sort of electronic shark shield then maybe you should consider another sport. Why don't we all wear scuba tanks so as to avoid the risk of blacking out ?? In fact why don't we just shoot the fish from the comfort of our boats as they school on the surface and then we will never get eaten or drown. The same logic applies.

-Chris-
27-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Chris, not sure what you mean?? Do you think diving without a shark shield is being complacent and not giving sharks their due respect? If so then 90% of spearos out there are guilty. I don't recall where i said that we should not respect sharks. Not worrying about sharks certainly shouldn't be interpreted as the same as being complacent. My point, that you seem to have missed, was that if you are so worried about getting eaten that you want to wear some sort of electronic shark shield then maybe you should consider another sport. Why don't we all wear scuba tanks so as to avoid the risk of blacking out ?? In fact why don't we just shoot the fish from the comfort of our boats as they school on the surface and then we will never get eaten or drown. The same logic applies.

Nope, I've never used a shark shield whilst spearing. You said in your previous comment that Defore should "harden up" and not wear a shark shield and that a shark shield takes the risk out of spearing. My point is if Defore wants to wear a shark shield then that's his choice and he should not be criticized for it. Not everyone is a hero spearo.

Badone
27-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree Chris. I think anyone who uses a shark shield while rec spearing should be criticized. It is one more factor that pushes the odds more in our favour and less in the fish's. I have stopped spearing many times when the fish were on because the sharks became a little too friendly. If I'd had a shield I would have merrily kept spearing without a worry in the world knowing that my shield was keeping the sharks off not my own instincts and knowledge. It is cheating. Just my opinion...

boney-leg
28-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Was cleaning some mackerel a couple of years ago and had a 3m hammerhead and some bronzies getting excited behind the boat. Some lads saw the hammerhead's fin and came over to see what was happening. They had a shark sheild on board so they put it on their float line and dropped it down on the feeding sharks. They went a bit white when they saw it wasn't deterring the sharks.

For surfers and snorklers I guess it works well on inquisitive sharks but I'm not convinced when there is blood in the water and they are in attack mode. I don't knock anyone for using them (even though I wouldn't bother personally) but I believe you still need to be vigilant even if you are wearing one.