PDA

View Full Version : Virginity Broken

ON-THE-CHEW
11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Was fishing off north straddy last week and heard everyone on the radio going on about all the wahoo they where catching at hutchies so on sunday we decided to give it a go for ourselves.

Had lines in the water by about 5.30am, the aim of the game was trolling, to start off with we had two diving lures and two skirts to cover all our bases. After a few passes our first hook up was on a nice dollie (pictures below) on one of my skirts, took a few jumps but got him in and he was very green, had no intentions of eating him so attempted to take some photos whilst he was going absolutely nuts, these three photos are out of about 20, new pb for me he went 120cms and 7kg.

I also had Matty on board (trolling virgin) and Gordo (got his first wahoo last week) but all three of us and the boat where marlin virgins. During the morning we had a double hook up on dolphin fish on the divers but lost both very quickly, had another good hit from a dollie on the skirt but no hook up.

Then all of a sudden had a small black (guess 30kg) come up in the spread and give one of the skirts a few wack with his beak and then decided he wasn't interested. This got us all pumped as this is our first season at having a go at trolling (usually jigging, popping and plastic boys), and the first marlin we have raised with the galeforce.

Decided it was getting a bit crowded around hutchies so moved out a bit wider. Then all of a sudden one of the divers go off, then out jumps our first marlin to hook up. We rushed around to clear the other rods while Gordo made sure he stayed connected, once that was done to our suprise the marlin was almost to the side of the boat. Gordy made easy work of it and got it to the side of the boat within 5 minutes, we where a bit worried that it was too easy.

Got him boat side and grabbed his beak and was about to grab his tail, when he let it sink down so he was pointing strait up. New what was going to happen next (thanks to previous stories) and let go of the beak. Next second he jumped vertically right next to the boat almost totally out of the water. He decided he would use all of the energy he had been saving and went nuts next to the boat, he took a quick dive straight down, this is when I realised that gordos rod was directly above my head (wacking me in the head a few times on the way down), in all of the action, he dislodged the trebble hook and just swam off peacefully just to rub it in.

In all of the action, and the fact that it was boat side so quickly we didn't get any photos or video which was a bit of a bummer for all but especially gordo. Just curious on the size, it would have been about 5-6 foot from end of bottom jaw to fork of tail. Guess 40kg plus ???

Got two Pb's, broke the boat's and Gordon's marlin virginity, and can't wait to get out there again. Sitting in an open boat for 6 hours absolutely kills you, still buggered today, but it was all worth it. Next time will hopefully get photos, hopefully it will be my first ....

Andrew

Pistol_P
11-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Nice going Andrew.

Those dollies are psycho's when they hit the deck...!!!:o

Pete

Midnight
11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Good to see you and your crew getting amongst them Andrew. Exciting stuff the Billfish eh!
Nice shots of the Mahi Mahi too.
Keep trollin through the season and you will get your Marlin. Finally seems to be a few more around.
Cheers,
Myles

Horse
11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Great Shot of the Dollie/ It sounds like you had a great day out there

TimD
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
That first photo is a cracker, nice hat too :thumbsup:

cheers tim :smiley:

goona
12-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Great fishing Andrew. What were the deep divers you guys were using. I had an X rap out the whole day and it didn't get touched?

Goona

Fish_gutz
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Well done and it sounds like it was a fun day . i`m keen to get onto a black this season if possible , just waiting for everyone to go back to work etc. nice dollies. cheers Andrew

jarhead
12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Nice dolly Andrew. Unlucky on the black, or maybe lucky, might have to give those skirts and hb's a crack myself. I'm with you Muz, will wait for holiday traffic to clear a bit.

Cheers Wal

Smithy
12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
As I said on the radio pretty hard to tell just from an estimate. You would need to measure it boatside or once you have caught a few you will build up a rough idea of what they are. Attached is a screen dump of a Excel file I made. Big difference between 5' or 6' short length. Congrats all the same.

Midnight
12-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I take it that is cm's short length and kilos Smithy?

Myles

Stroadman
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Those dolls are tops hey mate? good goin.

Heretic

Jeremy
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
congrats on the boats and Gordo's first marlin. I have hooked a few but not landed one on a HB yet. I am sure you will get one soon Andrew.

Jeremy

father&son
12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Nice going Andrew and Crew. Can't wait to have a go at a blackie one day. Hopefully I'll get to hutchies this season and give it a go..

Well done

cobiaman
12-01-2010, 05:45 PM
well done mate, nice to see you out there, we saw another boat hook a marlin about 400m away but the bite was over by the time we got there i think.

ON-THE-CHEW
13-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Goona,
It was a xwrap also, it was in a bright green/yellow colour (like a dolphin fish), it was the only hit it had on it all day.

Smithy,
Thanks for the chart, it all happened a bit quick on the day, we basically had the rods cleared and it was there. Next time we will be ready, maybe back the drag off a bit more to draw it out a bit so the fish won't be so green....

Andrew

bluefin59
13-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Great story and photos again ,good to see it all happened for you great work mate . I am heading out tomorrow to chase a black and i hear a few sails of the goldie with gav tomorrow i tried in my boat yesterday of the goldie but only got one dollie about 8kg i would say and a couple of small ones..matt