PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Garmin fishfinder 80 sounder

ffejsmada
11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I've decided to put my Garmin fishfinder 80 sounder on my bow mount Minn-Kota. I'm running a Hummingbird 777 on the stern as my main sounder.

The Garmin has been boxed up for 2 years and was the main sounder used on the boat.

The problem I'm having is when I turn the sounder on, the screen lights up for about for about 1 second (if that), and then it dissapears giving me a blank screen.

There's plenty of power, fuse is ok, connections look ok as well.
Could there be a corrosion problem inside the sounder maybe causing this problem?? There's no visible sign of any corrosion on outside of sounder.

Any ideas guys??

Thanks, Jeff.

dreemon
12-01-2010, 06:07 PM
The only thing I can think of is check the connections again, mainly the female side of it, look at the male knobs to see minor scabs then look at the female hole that it goes into and give it a sound reamin,

I got mine going that way with a fish hook when on the water, but a proper size drill bit would work better, good luck

BTW , hitting it didn't work and now mine is playing up,

rooboy98
13-01-2010, 06:27 PM
G'day,

I would be interested in hearing the cause of this problem as well if you ever work out an exact cause.

I have a Lowrance x65 unit that does EXACTLY the same thing. I know it is something internal with the sounder itself in my case though, as I bought another 2nd hand unit and it works fine with the same wiring/transducer cables etc.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Roo.

Fish_gutz
13-01-2010, 09:24 PM
My garmin GPS 550 does something similar , it powers up but can`t see the screen and have to shine a torch into it to see whats doing. if i go to maps then shut it down and power up again it works fine. not sure if this is any help just thought it worth a mention.

Marlin_Mike
14-01-2010, 06:15 AM
my ff 80 did the same. bought the 120, the head units are inter changeable. mine had a stuffed head unit

Mike

ffejsmada
15-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys, I think it might be like mike's problem... stuffed head unit.

Not gonna frig around with it, into the bin it goes.

Thanks for your responses.