PDA

View Full Version : Red Claw Traps

THE JACKEL
10-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey guy's I'm only new to this site, and need a bit of :helpa: I have'nt fished in years, and now the kid's are getting to the stage of exploration. My eldest daughter has decided to try a bit of fishing, so we made our way down to the local B.C.F. and picked up some new kit. While we were there the sales fella suggested that we try for some Red Claw. Now considering that I've never freshwater fished in my life, I thought I'd give it a go:oops: I've heard these little fella's will eat mango seeds to soap. My main questions are, after catching a couple of the little critters in the Opera House pots are they removed by pulling them out of the whole in reverse??? Also what sort of line set-up can I use as I/we will be fishing from the dams edge. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Pretzil
10-01-2010, 09:11 PM
The opera house traps open back up the same way they fold up (I'm assuming that the ones you bought were flat when you got them so you know how they open up).

As for a line setup, most just use rope and tie it to a stick stuck in the mud on the shore. (I am not sure if dpi rules mean that u technically need a float on the rope somewhere or not).

As for bait, most fruits are good, rockmellon is my choice. The general theory of redclaw for most people is that since they can get out of the pots, you use something like cat food to get them there, than something that takes a long time to eat (like fruit) to keep them there.

Hope this helps

Mike Delisser
10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Mate you're permitted 4 traps per person and each need a small tag with your name and address attached to the trap. I just cut up a ice-cream container lid or a plastic milk bottle then punch a hole in it and wire it to the trap, then write my name on that. Also you need your name and address on the other end of the rope, write it on a milk container or small piece of wood.
And welcome to the world of freshwater fishing :-)

THE JACKEL
11-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Thank's for the advice Pretzil & Mike. I did'nt no about the name or quanity issues when it comes to pots. When it comes to lines what set-up can be used??? For example do you use a float set-up? or can I use a lure set-up?? The fella from B.C.F. sold me some of that scented bait I'm pretty sceptical about it. Also I was wondering if you guy's could give me a heads-up when it comes to Carp? Do they have any distintive marking's or colours? Is there some sort of freshwater fishing chart I can buy as a guide?

Mike Delisser
11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Where do you intend to go fishing Jackel?

THE JACKEL
11-01-2010, 07:09 PM
North Pine Dam Mike. We'll be fishing off the bank, as we don't have the luxury of a boat. Can we fish anywhere or are there specified areas? Also are there certain dams that have hire boats?

Luc
11-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Have a look at this link http://www.prfma.com.au/ should give you plenty of info.

Luc

THE JACKEL
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Thank's for the heads-up Luc:thumbsup: The link has everything to get me up to speed. We went to NPD only for a couple of hours but did'nt get anythjng:( While we were there we met a fella that works on the committee for the P.R.F.M.A. and he was pretty helpfull with a bit of information. I also found out after following your link that there is a family day at N.P.D. on Australia Day. I might be keen to take the missus and tin lids down for a bit of throw-in (I do mean the lines of course);D ;D ;D

finga
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I found saveloy's work well for the bait.

THE JACKEL
13-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Thank's Finga, I think these things will eat just about anything. I think that time play's a big factor as well. I might have to hit a few dams that I can camp at over night8-)

Aunty Jack
13-01-2010, 11:40 AM
grab an old pair of stockings throw in some meat or whatever tie it to some roap.
and chuck it in the water. retreive every 15 mim or so by pulling the roap in very slowly they get stuck in the stockings and makes for a bit of fun.

Pretzil
13-01-2010, 04:44 PM
You say you went for a few hours, what time of day btw? Its virtually pointless unless its during dusk or at night.

THE JACKEL
13-01-2010, 09:52 PM
You say you went for a few hours, what time of day btw? Its virtually pointless unless its during dusk or at night.

That's why I'm thinking of going to a few dams that we can camp over night Pretzil. I had a bit of a hunch they are a bit of an night time catch.

bondy99
13-01-2010, 10:10 PM
G'day, a mate and I managed to cath redclaw up until 10.20am when it was till overcast after that, all over red rover and dunk onwards. Not just anywhere for redclaw, you need to look for old tree stumps or rock crevices or some weedy areas. Thats what I found and yes rockmelon works better than most.

Peter

THE JACKEL
13-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Thank's Bondy I'm definatly going to give the rockmelon a go:thumbsup: The fella I was talking to at North Pine was sorta giving me the hint about the rocks and stuff. He suggested a place at Lake Sampsonvale. I'll proberly even give Swampmans suggestion a go;D

bondy99
13-01-2010, 10:43 PM
G'day The Jackell,

At the time we went to North Pine Dam we stopped at a place called Bullocky something, we were in daylight hours and soaked the pots for 3 hours, nothing,,,,all our redclaw was caught at Lake Somerset.

Peter

THE JACKEL
14-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Thank's for the insight Bondy. I went to there website and the place looks quiet enticing. Where're on Brissy north-side, and we head out to Nanango to go riding on the quads quiet a bit:D Every time we pass it I always say we're going fishing there one day, well that one day is going to be within the next month:2thumbsup: Even Maroon sounds like it would be a goa.