PDA

View Full Version : Spotties ! What Spotties !

rakinray
10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
G/ day all not much to report, headed out the seaway with a mate and his new Yalta for its first outside run. We headed straight to Mermaid to find about 40 to 50 other hopefulls, seen about four Spotties landed for the 2.5 hours we were there. We tried all the tricks but couldnt raise a scale, so we packed up and headed nth and found the odd little patch of mostly Macks with the odd Spottie amongst them. Got just the one that went about 900mm that gave a good account of its self and lost a few others. Nice day out and hope they get a bit thicker by the next trip.

CHEERS RAY. PS- All hook-ups and lone fish caught on Home made slugs.

3rd degree
10-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Was down at Mermaid trying my luck too.

Pretty hard work, but ended up succeeding with slow trolled yakkas for 2 spots and 3 bite offs.

Got a couple of tailor at Narrowneck on the way back to the seaway.

Cheers
Jim

Tangles
10-01-2010, 07:06 PM
gotta love those homemade sparkles Ray..

BayDog
11-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I would very much like to get a hold of a slug mould. Where did you get yours? I've done a lot of spottie fishing and i find that single hooks are ten times better than trebles. I have lost too many fish to count on trebles so i just wont use them anymore. I use the mustard 7766 or the mustard pro select because the eye and the gape of the hook is straight not offset. Just thought I'd let you know if you're interested.

Sandman
11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Gday Ray,
Had the same issue was up at the bay last week fished over the weekend in average conditions outside up to ronies off fraser thousands of birds sighted lots of tuna very little mac action one solid hookup with a good fish i reakon it was a spanish but dropped it :( got one spotty for the day !!! but was a good trip after all .
Mick

hakuna
11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Spotties were there on the break of daylight with the moon when there was 2 boats, thinned out and dissapeared after that when the 40 boats arrived.

cheers

frankgrimes
11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Spotties were there on the break of daylight with the moon when there was 2 boats, thinned out and dissapeared after that when the 40 boats arrived.

cheers

Thick on dawn this morning also - got a few, should have bagged out in 30min...solo skills on the gaff aren't the best ;)

40+ boats there by 6am, and they thinned out...

Mick

mark johno
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Found large schools of spotties off the pin bar on both Saturday and Sunday in about 19 metres of water, could of caught as many as we wanted.

webby
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Loosing you touch mate ???

Lucky_Phill
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Those slugs look familiar Ray.

BTW, the hooks are on the wrong end......... IMO. ;)

And I have gone to single 9255ps VMC's in the 5/0.

Those spotties will be around and i am heading out on Wednesday to find them.... I and going to..................................:-X

LP.

bugman
11-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Ray,

They're thick off Kingscliff and further south.

Was also driving up the beach of Bribie on Sunday and Monday. Didn't see much action on Sunday but today there were schools of macks slashing all over the place just behind the breakers in three or four patches up the beach.

Brett

rakinray
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
G/day all seems we missed the action at dawn at Mermaid but we left a bit late due to a late night ! Hey Baydog try Do-It-Moulds in the states they have all types of moulds, and i have tried the single hooks but i like the wiggley action that the trebles seem to make the lure do ! Thanks for the info. Thanks for the tip about the pre-dawn action fellas will be up and around next time. Hey Mick bummer about he H/Bay trip but when will the boat be back in town for a trolling trip ? Might head out the S/Passage to the WRB and do some Lure pullin there and back. Hey Mike (Augusto) got to get the WWF crew to go and get some macks real soon mate ! Very funny Brian but i will claim i got my first before yours this year ! (Will give you a call this week). We also found them in about 20mts of water about 5 ks short of the Pin MJ. Hey Phill they swim well from both ends so i like to be backwards ! LOL. Mine have more sparkle than the Luckys ! (Very Pretty). Nice to hear from you Brett been a while mate Might have to get down your way real soon and get some action ! Catch up soon mate !

CHEERS RAY. Heres some more different types of moulds.

Sandman
12-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Ray i think the boat needs to be back ASAP the fishing seems to be hot the weather hasnt been to bad , reality end of jan at the earliest but very keen to hit the water maybe i will get timmi to take me out :)

fish hunter
17-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Ray, I finally made it onto Ausfish! Too bad the bloke in your photo didn't catch the spotty. Learnt for next time though. GK

rakinray
21-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Welcome to Ausfish Grant hope you get plenty of fish to post up yourself mate. Lots of people on here that will give you all the help you might need with anything fishing and boating.

CHEERS RAY.