PDA

View Full Version : Optimax or etec

fairpractice
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry to bring this up again''
am seriously thinking of either of these two motors; Merc opti, bmc etec, in 150Hp for 6.65 plate boat. am after the little weight gain for towing etc. currently run suzi df 70 on smaller boat so don't mind being told to get a 4 stroke. Your opinions will be helpful . thanks john

Wahoo
10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
there all good motors now, in the 2stroke i would'nt mind giving the E tec a go
also i would think that a 150 for a 6.65m plate is way under powered, but thats just my thoughts

Daz

fairpractice
10-01-2010, 05:49 PM
hi wahoo, how about 175 etec. boat hull bare weighs about 750 kg.and have spoken to another owner of the hull and he is happy with 150. i agree, most mod outboards are good, but just wondering if merc opti fans out there have any comments. thanks john

trymyluck
10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Etec are tempting with the low service costs for 3 years and at the moment I think they have the 5 year warranty. Hard to go past. I'm tossing up between a etec and a Yamaha 4 stroke at the moment. Yamaha has a pretty tempting finance setup and a good rep. But heavy.
Etec seem to cop a bit of a bagging but is it because the advertising gets up everyones nose or is it deserved. You don't see too many second hand motors or parts so i'm guessing that they can not be too bad. Ahhh decisions decisions:-[

siegfried
10-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Etec or opti like asking if you wanna drink 1080 or arsenic ;D 175 zuki for my 2 bob (sorry Bill)

Vitamin Sea
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I agree, 150 is not enough on a big plate, 200 is more like it. Over the chosen 2 would probably go with a opti, refer previous threads, Etecs seem a bit thirsty (duck, weave)

good onya Zig;D

VS

noboatyet
11-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I've gone with an etec on my current boat and I'm happy with the choice. I repowered my last boat with a yamaha 4 stroke and was happy with that. Biggest decision for me was local servicing and backup. As others have said don't underpower it!!
Good luck with you decision
Muzz

cormorant
11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I gatta say everyone starts this "which motor" thoughts teh wrong way.

First work out what speed you want to cruise at normally. Fast cruise and top speed. This will give you the best ecconomy, long engine life and low stress on that engine. Good performance if you need to push it.
Then work out what HP will do that in mid revs. Ie don't underpower.
Then see what weight those motors are, what the transom will hold
then you have narrowed it down
Them you can choose from brand service and loal dealers reputation.

Underpwering a boat means you may as well have bought a lesser boat as it will never perform right in varying conditions. Running a motor too small ( at high revs all the time) or propped incorrectly won't be good for teh back pocket.

If I was going to run something underpowered in the higher rev range continiously I would probably be going the ETEC and being underpowered every kilo per HP counts

The Suzuki in larger sizes aren't as heavy a some others

hivalley
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi fairpractic,

I have a 6.2 meter Savage tinny, bear hull is 670 kg, the max HP of the hull is 175 HP.

I'm running a 150 HP E-Tec and it has been a very good engine match for the Savage. I could never use more HP than that, is great out through the bar fully loaded the motor planes the boat in seconds, I'm running a 4 blade prop which I love offshore, it will hold up on plane down to 2800 RPM.

Don't know much about the Opti, I'm sure it's a fine motor, not real keen on the Opti fuel injection system it sounds a little complicated with belts and air pumps etc.

I'm just thinking you may need more HP on the plate boat.

What is the rated max for your hull?

Goldfinch
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Have a look at what outboards the VMR, Coast Guards, Water Police and DPI use. I think you'll find most of them use 4 strokes in the Suzuki or Yamaha variety. If they use them to save people, I'm using one to fish with!

cormorant
11-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Have a look at what outboards the VMR, Coast Guards, Water Police and DPI use. I think you'll find most of them use 4 strokes in the Suzuki or Yamaha variety. If they use them to save people, I'm using one to fish with!

The day those organisations pay retail like the rest of us , the day they don't get it packaged with a unlimited on site service and guaranteed replacement or 4 hour turn around on breakdown is the day I'll really take notice. Each one is different and nothing to do with 2 or 4 stroke.

Seriously all the manufacturers target these organisations with tenders that are often loss leaders and it doesn't eflect the best choice or anything.

There are cases of those organsations haveing repeated trouble with just about every motor as they are often given the latest model and as they put lots of hours on fast they are the guinea pigs.

I know of one organisation who has been burnt and now in all tenders demands that a spare motor fully dressed powerhead , lowerunit and computer are held by the dealer at all times. One wasn't enough as twice more than one has blown in the fleet.

Ask the guys who use them if they are really happy with the performance, noise, downtime, warning buzzers, real life fuel consumption.

Like why did oyster farmers love the XXXXXX- well , cheap finance they couldn't get elsewhere and not avaliable to the public, XXXXX allowed extended service schedules for them only. extended commercial warranty , low price consumables etc etc Some arranged modifications to older boats so they could cope with weight all in the price. Lots of other cloak and dagger. Other large clients as part of their risk management use more than one supplier to the fleet to ensure competeition. In regards to outgoings some fleets have fixed price ownership and hand back motors at the end so do not care about resale as the manufacturer wears that. Some have fixed price servicing so were favoured as they didn't have the burden of buying 2 stroke oil as well as fuel. Accountants like it simple

See - not a even playing field

fairpractice
11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the useful comments. there is a ton of info on 2sk vs.4sk on this site. reading this and current posts... the 175 suzi (weighing the same as the 150) looks the go. Thinking of the lifespan of the motor, not the many other factors has decided the issue. thanks john

wrxhoon
11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I have a 200 opti on my Trophy 2002WA , boat weight including 320 lts of fuel gear and 3-4 big blokes 2000-2500 kg .
The Opti performs very well and frugal on juice at a cruising speed of 35-40mph at 4000-4800 rpm spinning an enertia 18" pitch she uses 1 lt per mile down to .7-.8 on WOT at 50 mph +. At trolling speed of 600 rpm I use 1.4 lts per hour.
She has used 18 lts of oil in 85 hours. I must say the oil is very exy at $110 per 10lts.

Skusto
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
one main thing which i have noticed with these 2 strokes is that if u havent got them running properly they will not perform, this being poor economy and bad oil usage.
A 150 on a 6.65 to me is underpowered i dont know what the max is but to me i would be running a 200 if it was applicable, we have a 150 on a 560 barcrusher and are getting good milage out of it, price wisei think the opti are a fair bit cheaper at the moment. but to be honest if for your boat i think u wouldnt be able to go pas the 175 zuk if u have a good dealer around you, from everything i have read and know people wth them reckon they are a gem of an engine.

hivalley
11-01-2010, 08:58 PM

You are joking.... aren't you?????

The Ocean Master Family
Ocean Master boats have become the preferred choice of many Australian institutions and Government agencies: Northern Territory Conservation Commission, Northern Territory Water Police, Kakadu National Parks & Wildlife Services, Paspaley Pearling, Queensland Water Police, Queensland Coast Guard as well as recreational anglers.
And it’s no wonder, with their combination of good looks, outstanding safety, and excellent manners on the water in a wide range of conditions.
The quality of the engineering, welding and finishes on these boats is top-notch, which is obviously very important on any aluminium boat.
Ocean Master are safe and stable craft, with foam filled buoyant cylinders positioned along the topsides. These give Ocean Masters incredible stability at rest, and in combination with the V-hull design, provide a soft and safe ride in even the most extreme conditions. Depending on the model, the ‘double skin’ under the floor chassis also provides up to 10 to 15 airtight compartments, further adding to the safety aspect of Ocean Master boats.
Territory Marine prefers to supply the Ocean Master range fitted with Evinrude E-TEC motors. These new-generation two stroke power plants offer outstanding performance across the whole rev range. Territory Marine owner Steve Blair is very enthusiastic about these motors, citing their light-weight, fuel efficiency, high torque, low emissions and low maintenance requirements. The E-TEC range requires no servicing at all for three years or 300 hours, and a sophisticated engine management system maximises power and fuel efficiency. There is also a safe operating mode that gives you five hours of safe engine operation in the unlikely event of any problems — plenty of time to get back to the ramp.
The E-TEC range have none of the smoke or noise traditionally associated with two stroke technology. In fact, this is the only outboard to win the American EPA’s Clean Air Excellence Award.
If you’re in the market for a no-nonsense, go-anywhere boat with outstanding safety and reliability, then get in touch with Territory Marine.

hivalley
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Another quick google, and:

Evinrude E-TEC Helps Power Tne Australian Volunteer Coast Guard

Australia, September, 2009
Evinrude E-TEC, Australia's cleanest outboard engine brand, has teamed up with the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard, helping power rescue fleet vessels.

The partnership has seen two of the Volunteer Coast Guards primary vessels – Jupiter One and Pride of Maryborough – be powered by quality Evinrude 150hp engines.

William Voerman, Evinrude Outboard Manager commented, "The Australian Volunteer Coast Guard is the largest single volunteer marine rescue and education organisation in the Southern Hemisphere and has been in operation since 1961. Evinrude E-TEC have been around a while as well, promoting responsible and safe boating for more than 100 years, so the partnership is a great fit".

"We are proud to be associated with such a valuable community service like the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard and look forward to continuing to work with them in the near future".

Bill Towers, Commander of the Volunteer Coast Guard said, "The crews are very happy with the performance of these engines … we have had service of exceptional quality from BRP and their local dealer in Sandy Straights, Hervey Bay Marine".

Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP), a privately-held company, is a world leader in the design, development, manufacturing, distribution and marketing of motorised recreational vehicles. Its portfolio of brands and products includes: Ski‑Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, Sea‑Doo watercraft and sport boats, Evinrude and Johnson outboard engines, direct injection technologies such as E‑TEC, Can‑Am all-terrain vehicles and roadsters, as well as Rotax engines and karts.

hivalley
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM

Another one!

Sorry mate but you need to do your research before telling BS.

BRP to the rescue

25/02/2009

BRP Australia, manufacturer of Sea-Doo® personal watercraft and Evinrude Outboard Motors, and Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) today announced a long-term partnership, which will see a new generation of rescue equipment on Australia’s beaches.
The news comes after the recent withdrawal by Yamaha Motors Australia from well-advanced contract negotiations, due to the global economic crisis.
SLSA Group General Manager, Michael Hornby, said the partnership with BRP involves support for the Whereis® Australian Surf Life Saving Championships in 2009 and beyond, as well as the Australian IRB (inflatable rescue boat) Championships.
“Another feature will be a new rescue gear program, which will see BRP products available to surf life saving clubs at highly subsidised prices,” he said.
“We are particularly pleased the Evinrude E-Tec Outboard motors are more fuel efficient and produce much less emissions than conventional motor designs, once again demonstrating SLSA’s commitment to environmentally friendly practices around the Australian coastline.”
Gregoire Dupont, General Manager for BRP Asia Pacific, said the new partnership would be forged in trust.
“Sea-Doo are the world's number one choice for personal water craft and we are happy to lend a hand to ‘Aussie’ surf lifesavers, and be the watercraft of choice when it comes to protecting lives on our beaches - no matter the conditions,” Gregoire Dupont said.
The 2009 Whereis® Australian Surf Life Saving Championships will be held from 17 to 22 March at Scarborough Beach, Western Australia.
The 2009 Australian IRB Championships will be held from 24 to 26 July at Kawana Waters, on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
[ends..]
For further information:
Michael Hornby
Group General Manager
Surf Life Saving Australia

ozscott
12-01-2010, 06:38 AM
I think it can fairly be said that the vast majority of VMR/Coast Guard are fitted with non-etec motors. Now whether that will change we dont know. I also see that Yamaha pulled out of that deal because of the GFC (ie it couldnt afford to give a heap of motors away, and Bomba' stepped in - good marketing chances there so fair enough). That article in now way suggests that ETEC were picked because they were the best motors.

Cheers

bushbeachboy
12-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I was of the opinion that 4 strokes were the preferred choice of those types of organisations because 2 strokes overheated too easily when towing.

Jabba_
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I was of the opinion that 4 strokes were the preferred choice of those types of organisations because 2 strokes overheated too easily when towing.

Well that's another load off bull crap that has been fed to you... The E-tec is infact very good at towing... Watch the Youtube clip

The video is not a commercial, it was privately made buy the Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association (BASRA)..

Also read mtkalik (http://www.youtube.com/user/mtkalik) posts on the bottom off the page.. He is the host to the videp and also work for the (BASRA)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLrHqCUDvCY

siegfried
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
never seen an ETec towing anything, seen plenty towed but;D

Geoff-
14-01-2010, 11:15 PM
We have a merc opti 90hp and just ticked over 90hrs on it, been very happy with it. they do use a bit of oil and it's a bit exxy but for towing skiiers i think it is doing a better job than a 4 stroke would (and without the extra 30kg). on a bigger boat just cruising between fishing spots i would go for a 4 stroke though.

very frugal on fuel too, DI 2 strokes!!