PDA

View Full Version : Yammie leg getting a little warm...

Bazzawookooka
10-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Hi all,

I had a 100HR service done on my 80HP Yammie injected 4-stroke about 12 months ago.

Before it went in I had checked the oil in the leg and:

1. the level was ok
2. there was no water in it
3. the oil was a gooey thick green substance I figured was a synthetic product

The motor has unfortunately only done about 40 HRS in the last year so I've just done an oil and filter change myself. The impeller was replaced at the abovementioned 100HR service so I wasn't concerned with it - telltale always seems OK.

Recently I have noticed the 'bulb' part of the leg getting quite warm after running for a while, even fairly short runs. Initially I wasn't sure whether this was normal or not, given that while exhaust does come through the prop, the whole thing is continually being cooled by the water it runs through.

Anyway, I drained the leg oil and while there was no water in it, it was pitch black, quite thin to my thinking, and smelled like old engine oil.

I replaced the oil with Caltex 80/90 (which quoted a number of outboard brands for which it was suitable - not Yamaha though) and now it seems to run cool, even a 45 min trip didn't seem to raise the temp at all.

Does anyone have any experience with how hot these things do or do not get???

The 100HR service was done by a reputable dealer but I must admit to wondering whether they got the leg oil wrong.

I suppose for now I'll just keep a good eye on the temps and the oil colour.

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

Steve

Spaniard_King
10-01-2010, 06:34 AM
A lot of dealers just use one type of gear oil in all the brands they service and beleive it or not sythetic oil is not recommended for some brands/models (yes I have seen what you are saying ie burnt oil)

Bazzawookooka
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Garry.

Anyone else????????

I'd really like to know how warm these things 'normally' get.

In anticipation....

Steve