PDA

View Full Version : gearbox oil?

shano
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
ok i decided to do a service on the outboard today since i got the tinnie in at work fixing it up! anyway after replacing the pull cord, plugs and fuel line i thought i would have a look at the oil in the leg! anyway i would say it was water in it! looks like caramel and is as thick as greese! so im thinking i will have to take the bottom half of the leg off and give it a good clean out! also might do the impeller while im at it! anyway what i want to know is what type of oil do i replace it with? and also where can i get some replacement parts the motor is an old chrysler 15hp? after the little plastic pully that guides the rope into the reel for the pull start cheers.

Spaniard_King
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Shano,

just use 80w90 GL4 or 5 rated gear oil.. ya dont need the fancy stuff!!!!

get from any good automotive retailer

change it and give it a couple of runs and change again.. if oil seems milky.. caramelly then if you want seek the services of a repairer.

Check the impellor if water flow is no0t as good as you would expect.

shano
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
yeah the oil is thick like greese! havn't drained it yet just opened the top fill screw thats all! just thought might as well replace the impeller while i have it apart! cheers for the advise!

FNQCairns
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Me too on the automotive stuff, you could in theory clean it out with diesel or kero (kero is better) drain then fill with the cheapest auto gear oil and keep checking it and replacing whenever it gets too tainted, sort of sounds like a seal has gone??

cheers fnq

shano
09-01-2010, 10:04 PM
yeah im thinking the same thing! might recoat the seals with that pink locktite form a gaskit! i used this stuff when i rebuilt my 4x4 trnsfere case! good stuff!