PDA

View Full Version : Smithy Speaks Spanish too!

Manjilad
09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Desperate for a fish since my boat’s relocation to WA, I bit the bullet and went out with Smithy on his charter for the first time on Wednesday 6th Jan 2010. The company was good with “A_mart” Dave and my son in law “Sofitel” Dan and of course “Skip” Rob at the helm.

T’was a wet drive up from Brisi to Mooloolabar but after last weeks charter cancellation and this being the first weather break this week we were keen meeting up at the ramp at 5am.

The weather was choppy to start with but smoothed out as the day progressed. After loading up with livies we headed off to learn Spanish from the Master at his secret school location!
And “Wack….. ZZZzzzzzzzzzeeeeee” off went the first rod before the second rod was even baited up with “Sofitel” Dan bringing on board a nice eating size Spaniard.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/manjilad/Charter%20Trip%20Jan%202010%20with%20Smithy/IMG_2751post.jpg

This set the flavour for the day. We trolled livies with “Sofitel” Dan on Floaters, “A_mart” Dave on Outrigger, myself on Downrigger (yea Rob has certainly got all the right gear) and we never got a tangle all day <grin>!

2nd strike on the outrigger and “A_mart” Dave was bending his back into another Spaniard then we were entertained (yes, it’s all included in the charter) by Smithy's rendition of the “Spanish two-step” shuffle on the deck of TritonIV – these Stabicraft’s are soooooooo stable it makes even “twinkle toes” Rob look good on his feet – an that is one awesome sight!

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/manjilad/Charter%20Trip%20Jan%202010%20with%20Smithy/IMG_2752post.jpg

“A_mart” Dave was so happy – he had to email this pic to the mates back at work …. Just so they knew he was working hard too …. !

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/manjilad/Charter%20Trip%20Jan%202010%20with%20Smithy/IMG_2754post.jpg

4 strikes later on the downrigger and I finally boated one ...

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/manjilad/Charter%20Trip%20Jan%202010%20with%20Smithy/IMG_2765post.jpg

We were all on and totaled up 14 strikes - don’t tell “Sofitel” Dan - but he boated the most on floaters followed by “A_mart” Dave on the outrigger and then finally myself bringing up the rear (again !) on the downrigger (with and without braid which made little difference).

Rob gave us the choice of 2 spots to try and we opted for Wahoo and Dollies off the Cape, so a cruise to Hutchies was on. I had never boated a Hoo so the possibility was inviting despite the fickleness of the Hutch. The on air chatter indicated it was sporadic out there but the cruise was very comfortable riding the quite “4-stroke Suzuki” and the timing was good for lunch and to re-energise.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/manjilad/Charter%20Trip%20Jan%202010%20with%20Smithy/Panaramic1024.jpg

At the Hutch, Rob put out more skirts than Moulin Rouge …. more than any fish should be forced to resist … but still to no avail ….. so after an hour or so we left empty handed and returned to the ramp where we ended up taking home 6 Spanish, a Schoolie, a Spottie and 2 dollies with the biggest about 9kg (never weighed any).

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/manjilad/Charter%20Trip%20Jan%202010%20with%20Smithy/Panaramic2.jpg

If its beer, wine and cheese you want, Rob is the bloke but his boat ain’t … if its fish and a great day out with a skip who tells it like it is and happy to help upgrade your skills then Triton IV is the perfect package – that’s the one I’ll be back on soon – up2U! – but I know I need to practice my Spanish some more - “adiós amigos” from “Manjilad” Dave, and thanks for a great day out Rob.

geeb
09-01-2010, 01:46 AM
An excellent report - very amusing and informative

I certainly agree that Rob is an excellent skipper and always willing to put in the hard yards............very pleased you had a great trip thanks for the report..............cheers..........Geeb

outsiderskip
09-01-2010, 05:47 AM
good fishing boys
nice to see few spanos around

pete

Midnight
09-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Good stuff!

Well done again Rob, you are keeping your clients smiling.

Cheers,
Myles

Jeremy
09-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Good report and that is an excellent catch for a days fishing.

Jeremy

indy
09-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Nice going guy's some great fish there well done

Manjilad
09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi geeb,
Thanks for ur kind words. This is my first post in this section .... been one of thoses sleepers who read and don't contribute much <grin!>.

Yes very impressed with Rob - he's a fisho at heart and I'm a want-a-be!
So I plan to do another one with him - want to get amonst the Whoo - Anyone know when they peak or go off the boil? Need to get my timing right!!
Cheers

Hell Boy
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like you guys had a awesome day chasing those toothy critters.

Did Smithy finally get a new outboard on the stabi? didn't he have a 140hp Johnson on the back

Angla
09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Smithy seemed to be working out while you were at Hutchies. He was looking busy with all the tactics he was trying. Good to see he was paying dividends. They are some very nice fish.

I was there for the afternoon with no results but a few good touches.

Cheers
Chris

Manjilad
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Midnight,
Certainly top value for money as far as we are concerned and he is a nice bloke to boot. It is a tough gig being skip and deckie all in one but he does it well and we had a ball together.

Jeremy,
Thanks. Yes not a bad haul, especially considering many were doing it tough that day. I must confess I have not boated that many Spaniards in one outing before so that was a first for me and "Sofitel" Dan.

Hi Indy,
Thanks. And nice to report we have already sampled the booty (twice) and the Spanish were deeeeelicious ...... fillets, steaks ..... awsome ... I can feel the cholesterol going down already!!! what a bonus!

Cheers, gotta rush back upstairs to see the 5th replay of Jaws2!! ... well a fish is a fish is a fish <LOL>

TCSunCoast
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Glad you had a great day, Smithy certainly puts in a massive effort.

Tony

Manjilad
10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Looks like you guys had a awesome day chasing those toothy critters.

Did Smithy finally get a new outboard on the stabi? didn't he have a 140hp Johnson on the back

Hi Hell Boy,
Thanks. We kept our toes out of way, but more concerned about gettin hit in the head with a frequently swung donga :rolleyes: .

I recognised Smithy's donk as a Jono (mine was a Jono) but it was too quiet under the cover so asked if it was an Etec ...... "narh, a 4 stroke" he said. Johnson don't make 4strokes so they rebadge Suzukis and sell them in white. Anyhow his ran continuously all day without a missing a beat and he reckons there is at least 2,000 hours left in her yet! If I wanted a 4St, Suzuki would be my choice.

Cheers

Greg P
10-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice fish - Some nice model Barries up the sunnie coast way atm. Saw a monster at the Kawana Ramp this morning. Biggest one I have seen for a lot of years taken on a bottom rig at gneerings - absolute horse

Hell Boy
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Hell Boy,
Thanks. We kept our toes out of way, but more concerned about gettin hit in the head with a frequently swung donga :rolleyes: .

I recognised Smithy's donk as a Jono (mine was a Jono) but it was too quiet under the cover so asked if it was an Etec ...... "narh, a 4 stroke" he said. Johnson don't make 4strokes so they rebadge Suzukis and sell them in white. Anyhow his ran continuously all day without a missing a beat and he reckons there is at least 2,000 hours left in her yet! If I wanted a 4St, Suzuki would be my choice.

Cheers

Hey Manjilad, Thanks for the info regarding the Johnson being a rebadged Suzuki. i never knew that, i've heard the Suzuki's are good and everyone who has one always raves about them.

I'm trying to get a few of my mates and girlfriend together for a offshore soft plastic fish for snapper with Smithy around april, Because i've never taken my Stabi offshore Yet ( Don't like Crossing Bars, But i will grow some balls before Snapper season ) and we hope to learn a few things from Smithy about offshore soft plastic techniques.

Thanks for the report. it's good to see people put in the effort to post a good report.

Cheers,

Bryn

Midnight
11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Gday Bryn,
Its not about growing balls, what you are doing is being smart!

Drive Smithy mad with asking questions. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers;D

Cheers,
Myles

Manjilad
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi TCSUNCOAST,
Ditto.
Was a great day for sure, hadn't had a fish for over 6 mths so the tension was building ...... and Smithy works everything well - the fish, the water, the spots, the radio, the options, with very emaculate timing (doesn't rush things nor let things drag out) and as he says, it's all about "lifestyle":cool:

... and not too mention the company you keep ... thanks to "A_Mart" Dave and "Sofitel" Dan.
Cheers

Manjilad
11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Hey Manjilad, Thanks for the info regarding the Johnson being a rebadged Suzuki. i never knew that, i've heard the Suzuki's are good and everyone who has one always raves about them.

I'm trying to get a few of my mates and girlfriend together for a offshore soft plastic fish for snapper with Smithy around april, Because i've never taken my Stabi offshore Yet ( Don't like Crossing Bars, But i will grow some balls before Snapper season ) and we hope to learn a few things from Smithy about offshore soft plastic techniques.

Thanks for the report. it's good to see people put in the effort to post a good report.

Cheers,

Bryn

Hi Hell Boy,
Wow you have a Stabi too!
Smithy's was the 1st I'd ever been on or even seen up close. It is an awesomely flat and stable fishing platform, better than cats etc and has the usual benefits and disadvantage of Aluminium hulls etc although his hull was much quieter than I thought it would be in the early morning slop, tho' mind you I tended to push the glass Sea Legend a bit harder as I am always keen to get to that spot etc.

Plastics - yea I'd like to get some SP practice from him too - FrankOO originally put me onto them so I have aquired all the gear but only ever used them when bait did not work - which is not that often so I have not given them a fair test nor gained any experience. But hey, using a Charter like Smithy is a great way to learn stuff. I even learned about using Paravanes with release clips (we didn't use them as he had better stuff!)

But just watch thoses TT Jigheads, I snapped a 7/0 the other week during the holidays - they appear to be a little brittle (mind you it was on Bionic braid!). I am not sure what the gurus are using now for Jigs. Best of luck and keep off the Bar::)