PDA

View Full Version : Wahoooo

bigjimg
08-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Gidday All
Went out to Hutchies to get amongst the hoo action yesterday with Sam "The Salmon" Morley and John Mu [Haines620Mu].The conditions were typical although overcast.Set up with Rapala Magnums first up and got a couple of strikes but no hookup.Was a decent pack working the area and had to be on the ball,bait wasn't balled up anywhere and but was plenty of it.We decided to troll down to The Cape and get away from the traffic for awhile.Pulled a Striped Tuna at Smiths around the 1.5kg size and returned.A few flying fish but no action so we trolled back to Hutchies after an hour or so.On the way back up got another Striped Tuna at Flinders.We changed the Magnum out to Skirt and redeployed the lures.Sam went off for a kip while John and I kept things together.Got back up to Hutchies and we notice line coming off the TLD 20 with the Magnum on,no ratchet set,they are smooooth and you just can't hear them.John picks up while I clear the skirt.Meanwhile Sam is back on deck and I make mention of no ratchet set,he says' he didn't want to be disturbed::) .Anyhow John is pulling in 150m or so of line with something connected and is coming in without to much resistance.Finally see some colour and looks to be a Hoo or Mack,pulls it too the surface and it takes one look at Sam and say's I'm outa here.It's a good Hoo and John is in for a fight on 10kg.The critter didn't know it was hooked until it saw us.Got a gaff shot 15-20mins later after it kept me busy on the wheel and wanted to swim around the boat.Took 2 of us to lift over the side was very impressive,gotta love those teeth.Johns first Wahoo and might take awhile to beat,well done mate.We decided to wrap it up and head home early from that moment after a cleanup and some photo's.Some stats on the economy 84nm travelled 93ltrs used 8hrs non stop. 135 OPti 5.8 Haines Sig. PS Next time Josh.Photo's coming.Jim

ON-THE-CHEW
08-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Well done, sounds like there is definately a few up there at the moment. Will be heading up there on sunday along with the rest of the carpark, maybe monday two if I can get a crew. Well done on the first wahoo, any idea of the size?

Andrew

bigjimg
08-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Andrew tipped the scales at 38lb.Big for Hutchies.Jim

ON-THE-CHEW
08-01-2010, 09:32 AM
That is a nice hoo, good to see the trailor boat boys getting in on the action.

Andrew

Newestkid
08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Nice catch there Jim, fuel economy not as good as the Blufin though;D

Fish_gutz
08-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice wahoo well done. by the sounds of the radio there was a few out on the troll. Cheers Andrew

bondy99
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Good show champ,

Never caught a whoo in my years of fishing

Haines620 Mu
08-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi All,
just want to say a big thanks to Jim and Sam for an excellent day out and helping land my first hoo...I would not have been able to do it without them. You boys rock. i look forward to our next outing... PS Josh's face was priceless LOL
John

dogsbody
08-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Huh,Hoo,What,Where................Oh there!!!!

Good to see some blood over the floor.

Dave

bigjimg
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Nice catch there Jim, fuel economy not as good as the Blufin though;DThanks Hope the rig is serving you well.Jim

Newestkid
08-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Hope the rig is serving you well.Jim

I Love it, hasn't missed a beat!!

Angla
08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Some stats on the economy 84nm travelled 93ltrs used 8hrs non stop. 135 OPti 5.8 Haines Sig. PS Next time Josh.Photo's coming.Jim

They are still good figures. Mine is a 135 opti on a 575 Outsider.

That really is a nice Wahoo. It is on my target species and have had a touch but no hookups to date.
I was chewing at the bit to get out this morning but she looked a little wild out there today. The boat is all tucked away for a while now so I will have to hope they hang around for a few more weeks.

Cheers
Chris

Horse
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Thats a very nice Hoo for Hutchies. Well done fellas.

TimiBoy
08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
96 Nm for 159 litres for us on Wed. But the tub's a wee bit bigger...

That's a nice Hoo, you...

Cheers,

Tim

Midnight
08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Nice Wahoo mate! A good fillet to be had off that one.

Since we are talking economy, I don't have the odometer thing going on mine, but a minimum 50nm run to the shelf from Cabbage Tree Creek, troll for 9.5 hours and then run the 50nm home for 200L. I"m happy with that;D

Cheers,
Myles

bigjimg
08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks too all that replied.If we didn't notice that spool it would have been a big kick in the backside for us.It's the little things that go a long way to landing these critters,but it all turned out in the end.I had 40ltrs tucked in jerry's to be sure as this was the first serious trolling trip the girl has had so still had 100ltrs up the sleeve.
Chris the Wahoo will be around for a while yet,I'm sure you'll connect.
Myles great figures,we got 2 little striped tuna that would have been ideal for heavy tackle on Blues.
Can't wait till next time.Jim

Mattg68
09-01-2010, 06:50 PM
get back to work mate.

oh yeah, nice fish, well done to John for landing it, great first up. Sam - tsk tsk tsk, i bet the plan was to have a nanna nap and then sneak back out and engage the rachet - FOILED. don't try that up the Swains mate.

good work boys.

matt.

bigjimg
09-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Hey Matt He's going to have to change his name out to Sam "The Nanna"Morley.Or just "Ratchet".Jim