PDA

View Full Version : Somerset Fees

Stik-ugly
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Thinking of going to Somerset for a fish and try for some Redclaw, it has been a long time since I've been up that way . I have heard that you need to pay an extra fee to use a boat on the dam or is a fresh water license enough.

Mexikan
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
You Need a fishing permit and a boat permit both can be obtained from the servo at Somerset township.They also sell opera house traps if you don't have any.
Mex

yellahunter
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
you will need a boating permit as well unfortunately mate
you can get these at kirkleigh or the spit shop i believe

Mike Delisser
07-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Boating permit = $15 for 7 days or $75 a year ($100 1st year)
I recon there should be a cheaper daily or weekend option. IMO it pushes the bounderies of consumer laws under a part of the Gov competition policy, ie charging a fee without providing a service. An example would be how "The Spit" is run as a day facility but they chare you for a 7 day boating permit and when SEQ Water issues a permit to hold a 2 day fishing tournament then charges every competitor for a 7 day boating permit with no shorter option. The average visit would only be 2 days as well but still a 7 day permit. :-(

Obi _ Wan
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Boating permit = $15 for 7 days or $75 a year ($100 1st year)
I recon there should be a cheaper daily or weekend option. IMO it pushes the bounderies of consumer laws under a part of the Gov competion policy, ie charging a fee without providing a service. An example would be when SEQ Water issues a permit to hold a 2 day fishing tournament then charges every competitor a 7 day boating permit with no shorter option. The average visit would only be 2 days as well. :-(

Some good points there Mike, what can be done to address the problem??? We should all remember that these facilities are owned by the QLD Government which mean they belong to us, the people of QLD

Most of the camping areas around the dams these days are charging like wounded bulls for very little in return.

It would be nice to be able to go and camp somewhere for a weekend without it breaking the bank.

In some cases it is almost cheaper to stay in a motel.

Cheers,
John.

rayken1938
09-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Do the local stocking groups get anything from the boating
permits?
Cheers
Ray

aussiebasser
09-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Do the local stocking groups get anything from the boating
permits?
Cheers
Ray

No, we get the assistance of the Water Board during fish releases if required. The Water Board have, in the past, purchased their own fingerlings and released them into the two dams, Somerset and Wivenhoe, although I'm not sure if that still occurs.

fishel
09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
A boating permit is required for any registrable boat, so boats with small motors, for which you don't need boat registration, don't need a boating permit.

Mike Delisser
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
A boating permit is required for any registrable boat, so boats with small motors, for which you don't need boat registration, don't need a boating permit.
I think the permit is required for registed or trailerable boats. Could be wrong though, Dale may have the right info. I do know we needed a boating permit to sail on Somerset and Wivenhoe and our sailing dinghy didn't have any outboard at all.
Cheers

Mike Delisser
09-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I went on the SEQWater site to check out their wording of boats that require a permit but so far I can only find this, clear as mud.

Prohibited Water Activities  
You must not do any of the following on Seqwater waters, expect where authorised by a permit:
h/ operate a vessel, without a licence or operate a vessel that is unregistered or uninsured.

SEQWater's interpretation of "vessel"

‘vessel’ is any object used or designed to be used on water or in navigation.

Stik-ugly
09-01-2010, 09:44 PM
So if the don't restock themselves ,where does this money go . I would imagine some would be used for upkeep of ramps and facilities but that would not be all of the monies collected.

gr hilly
10-01-2010, 09:18 AM
we live in a free country if you dont own a car and walk, and pitch your tent in your back yard, as it is on some days i pay 3 road tolls morn and night parking fees thats 38 bucks a day to go to work let alone fuel and this qld rego on my car just went up over $200 in 1 hit the highest reg increase in australias history no free country here

finga
10-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I went on the SEQWater site to check out their wording of boats that require a permit but so far I can only find this, clear as mud.

Prohibited Water Activities  
You must not do any of the following on Seqwater waters, expect where authorised by a permit:
h/ operate a vessel, without a licence or operate a vessel that is unregistered or uninsured.

SEQWater's interpretation of "vessel"

‘vessel’ is any object used or designed to be used on water or in navigation.

Sounds like you need a permit for the kids water wings.
They're designed to be used on water...and is unregistered and uninsured...or is it you are not allowed to use water wings because the kiddy is unlicensed...or does it say waterwings are not allowed because they are unregistered??
Yep....clear as the bottom of the Logan River under the freeway bridge.

fishel
14-01-2010, 05:22 PM
I just checked out this site: http://www.somerset.qld.gov.au/visitors/documents/Caravanning_Camping_Guide.pdf and the wording regarding boats is:-

Boating Permits are required for all vessels which are
towed using a trailer and/or those that are registered.

darylive
14-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Some good points there Mike, what can be done to address the problem??? We should all remember that these facilities are owned by the QLD Government which mean they belong to us, the people of QLD

Most of the camping areas around the dams these days are charging like wounded bulls for very little in return.

It would be nice to be able to go and camp somewhere for a weekend without it breaking the bank.

In some cases it is almost cheaper to stay in a motel.

Cheers,
John.

Well John I am going to Somerset this weekend. I have all the permits etc. have had for years.
THE BLOODY CAMP FEES AT KIRKLEIGH (SOMERSET FAMILY HOLIDAY PARK) are currently $31 for the site (2 people) and $12 per extra head! >:(

HOLY CRAP! :o
That's $55 for 4 people on an unpowered site per night!

peak season, then $25 per site off peak. Tha's without power remember.
plus the bloody boating permit. So for 2 people for the bloody weekend your are looking at $62 just to pitch your tent on the dirt.

we live in a free country if you dont own a car and walk, and pitch your tent in your back yard, as it is on some days i pay 3 road tolls morn and night parking fees thats 38 bucks a day to go to work let alone fuel and this qld rego on my car just went up over $200 in 1 hit the highest reg increase in australias history no free country here

Yeh how good is that rego increase, and the power bill etc.
Someone must have voted for the mongrels. :angryfire:

NAGG
14-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Well John I am going to Somerset this weekend. I have all the permits etc. have had for years.
THE BLOODY CAMP FEES AT KIRKLEIGH (SOMERSET FAMILY HOLIDAY PARK) are currently $31 for the site (2 people) and $12 per extra head! >:(

HOLY CRAP! :o
That's $55 for 4 people on an unpowered site per night!

peak season, then $25 per site off peak. Tha's without power remember.
plus the bloody boating permit. So for 2 people for the bloody weekend your are looking at $62 just to pitch your tent on the dirt.

Yeh how good is that rego increase, and the power bill etc.
Someone must have voted for the mongrels. :angryfire:

Well Daz ..... I'll spend the $31 / night to share another birthday with ya :D - outside of that ........ ya can keep the place ::)

Chris

darylive
19-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Chris,

There is still the group discount and I appreciate that but I think the other is a bit rich. $31 is peak rate, $12 per extra person and $5 per extra car. Last weekend a mate bought the van and boat and had to cough up for the extra car.

There is a new flash office admin canteen building and there are some nice cabins on the point now.

One pot filled with big redclaw! Two thousand people in two hundred ski boats wake boats and jet skis put a damper on the fishing. :(