PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a little cat, please help

merras
07-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi, This is the first time I've posted and was hoping to get some feedback on two questions regarding a little 4mtr Markham Whaler that I'm restoring in Melbourne.

1. I've been quoated $600 for a custom travel cover (windscreen to back) and about $900 for a new canopy with a hightened clear front for viewing above the windscreen. This sounds really expensive and I'm thinking of just going for the travel cover cost the rest costs too much.

2. The boat hasnt been started for years and the fuel tank has sludge in the bottom, the problem is it's in board and I dont know how to flush all the sludge out, the only option I can think of is cutting into the boat or using an external fuel tank and I dont want that becuase it takes up too much realestate.

Does anybody have any thoughts??

Thanks heaps,

Nick

Crocodile
07-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Hello Merras,
1. Those prices sound about right to me, if in doubt get some more quotes.
2. Add some fresh petrol, take it for a tow, siphon out the combined petrol and sludge. Repeat until clean.
Now for the bad news, If it has not been started years, how do you know that the motor is any good?
I would advise a very hard assessment of the boat and the financial viability of the project before spending lots of money and time.
Could you supply some more details of the boat and it's condition?

merras
07-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks Crocodile for your quick response.
The motor is a 35 merc redband (around 1990), it was last serviced 2 years ago buy a reputable marine shop in Melbourne, it has been sitting in a garage since and not started. When it was last started it was running from an external fual tank and with new hoses etc. The internal fual tank hasnt been used for 10 years...
The steering was replaced when the engine waqs serviced and was the power titlt and trim for the engine. The wiring works but I would like to redo that and I have everything to get that job done.

maru222
08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
hi
i am going through the same thing on a 4 m tri hull that i resently bought with a 40 johno

it had not been started for 4yrs and sat under a tree for 8yrs

i drained the oil out of the bowls at the botttom of the carbs, put new spack plugs and a remote tank with fresh fuel ,she fired up with lots of smoke but going
will have to do the same thing with cleaning out the under flor 120lt fuel tank
i have just had the timing and carbs readjusted they were wayout
also the tilt & trim was leaking ,replaced the outer seals but internal seal must be leaking as the outbourd slowly gos down over 30 min - 1hr

good luck with your boat, i can see my project is going to entertain me of years
regards davo