PDA

View Full Version : M&G at Hutchies

Angla
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi to all that turned out at Hutchies area yesterday. Good to hear all the chatter on 21

I turned up a little late, leaving Scarborough at 11.30 and sitting on 27 knotts all the way to Hutchies. Found the activity in the area and joined all the trolling vessels with 4 skirts out. I could not turn a reel, so turned to SP for a short while with only 1 biteoff behind the hook.
I went back to trolling but could not seem to find any action so went out to the 50 metre line and turned the speed up a little. Hooked a dollie but dropped it while trying to clear the other lines. Oh well. I had another clear hit a short time later from a Wahoo that hit the lure twice but did not connect then it looked at the green/lumo lure beside and lost interest. Should have checked my skirt after that. Last connect seemed to be a good contact but the main line knot failed??

26 knotts all the way back.

All up 7 hours of travel including 5 hours of trolling for 101 litres and 109Nm. I'm happy with that

Cheers
Chris

Just a little bit of the travelling conditions @ around 30 knotts http://www.youtube.com/user/bitemeangla#p/a/u/0/O9Ya_bC1qjc

vertico
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
you need to rerig those skirts
want em so that just the eye of the hook is inside the skirt
sean

Angla
07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
you need to rerig those skirts
want em so that just the eye of the hook is inside the skirt
sean

Would it be better with a 2 hook setup in a smaller size hook or keep with the large size hook?

Cheers
Chris

sleepygreg
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I would be going with a two hook rig. All my skirted lures for 8kg and above are rigged with double hooks, with the point of the last hook just inside the end of the skirt. They are also rigged at 45 degree angles.

Cheers
Greg

Angla
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I would be going with a two hook rig. All my skirted lures for 8kg and above are rigged with double hooks, with the point of the last hook just inside the end of the skirt. They are also rigged at 45 degree angles.

Cheers
Greg

I will take the time now to setup some new rigs

Cheers
Chris

vertico
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
bugger the 2 hook rigs mate too dangerous and Ive been told that you get as good a hookup with the single hook. Just make sure the eye of the hook is inside the skirt.

trueblue
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I was told the same by lots of people, eye of the tail hook just inside the tail of the skirt, but I have set up a bunch of lures with twin hook rigs

here is to hoping they work..........

cheers

Mick

sleepygreg
08-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Now you have me curious. How is a two hook rig 'too dangerous'? In 30 years of offshore fishing, I have never encountered a situation where a two hook rig was any more dangerous than a single hook rig (other than to the fish). Please enlighten me as I have never professed to 'know everything', and am eager to learn new things.

Greg

GPB
08-01-2010, 07:29 AM
I believe a two hook rig is 'more dangerous' not 'too dangerous', but two hooks are better than one for hookups as well, all hooks are dangerous to the unwary!

bigjimg
08-01-2010, 03:46 PM
The only way they can be too dangerous is instead of having one hook in you you'll have two if it is spat at the side of the boat with weight on it and it rockets back at you.Apart from that it is a proven setup.Each has their way of doing things,I have many of both.Good economy Chris and bad luck on not staying connected. Jim

brisbane_boy
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I bet the next bloke to boat a dolly and end up on one hook and a dolly on the other while it goes beserk will not be the first or last.

vertico
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
two hook rig and a fish goes beserk in the boat just look out...
ill just keep running the single hook when i troll.
sean

TCSunCoast
11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I always use a two hook rig, offset to one another. Can be a bit dangerous but hey, if you throw a 'green' lively fish on the floor of your boat its going to cause trouble.

Tony