PDA

View Full Version : Bait Tank Plumbing Advice

FireFly
06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

Firstly, I must apologise for the bad weather through Christmas...you see, I bought a boat ...last time I did that it rained for weeks as well !! >:(

Anyway, I'm new to the AF forums and recently bought a 4.5m Bluefin Predator (2nd Hand - only 10hrs!) and plan on fishing the local estuaries and hopefully Moreton Bay on good days. I'm concerened about the Live Bait tank plumbing and will explain as best as I can...

The bait tank on the Predator is flush fitted into the rear casting deck which is quite low. It has a through hull bilge/pick-up with 19mm hose to the tank and this part seems okay? My concerns are with the outlets from the tank...there is a outlet up high next to the inlet in the tank, and another at the bottom which I think is normally plugged during use and unplugged to let the water run out back at the ramp? Anyway, it appears who ever has plumbed this thing has joined the two outlets with a tee piece and both outlets flow to a THROUGH HULL outlet which IS BELOW WATER LEVEL right next to the pick up?? Is this usual practice on Boats with lower inbuilt Bait Tanks??

Has anyone had any experience with these lower mounted bait tanks?? Just want piece of mind as sinking the wife and the kiddies ain't gunna go down well! ...Will take rubber bungs just in case ;D

Thanks, Rob

Damned67
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but water shouldn't flow 'uphill'. That is to say, that despite the fact that the outlets are below the waterline, it 'shouldn't' feed water up into the bait tank. That's why most people use pumps to pump the water up into their tank.
In my eyes, the only risk of sinking would be from the outlet not being sealed (and I'm sure it is sealed properly) and allowing water into the hull?

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the new boat!!!! A 4.5 will get you all over the bay in decent weather!

FireFly
06-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Thx Damned... logic in my head makes me want to believe this, good to have another opinion though!

My main concern is that if the water pressure equalizes at water level in the intake pipe then if I am stationary and use the pump to keep bait alive (and don't turn it off) will it stay at water level given the outlet is only gravity fed and the inlet is under pressure??

Here's a photo... bait tank is at rear, flush mounted.

stabi 659
07-01-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a stabicraft and the live bait tank water pick up is a skin fitting on the under side of the hull. I have a shut off to stop water coming in if not required. As long as it is off no water will come into the tank. If open i cant see water coming in if stationary as there is no presure pumping. I also have a pump to pump water in if required. If concerned fit a cut off to stop water coming in when not required.

Angla
07-01-2010, 11:07 PM
It sounds fine. I take it the pump is a small volume pump where the water can easily flow through the outlet hose (volume wise). It would make not too much difference whether the outlet was under the waterline or not. The height of the water will make it travel to the lower point.

Congrats on the new boat purchase.

I did think it was my holidays that were making the rain and wind and big seas. I am back at work on monday so all should be well after that.

Look forward to all your post of catches with photos as evidence (some of us just look at the pic's you know).

Cheers
Chris

FireFly
08-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a stabicraft and the live bait tank water pick up is a skin fitting on the under side of the hull. I have a shut off to stop water coming in if not required. As long as it is off no water will come into the tank. If open i cant see water coming in if stationary as there is no presure pumping. I also have a pump to pump water in if required. If concerned fit a cut off to stop water coming in when not required.

A Cut-off is on the cards for this weekend Stabi - just to be safe or for piece of mind...not necessarily in that order

Cheers
Rob

FireFly
08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
It sounds fine. I take it the pump is a small volume pump where the water can easily flow through the outlet hose (volume wise). It would make not too much difference whether the outlet was under the waterline or not. The height of the water will make it travel to the lower point.

Congrats on the new boat purchase.

I did think it was my holidays that were making the rain and wind and big seas. I am back at work on monday so all should be well after that.

Look forward to all your post of catches with photos as evidence (some of us just look at the pic's you know).

Cheers
Chris

Yes, pumps only a small volume jobbie Chris. Maybe I can fit some kind of 'auto switch' so the pump only kicks in for a minute or so and then off agin for a minute just to give outlet water time to clear. Anyone know if something like this exists?

Gr8, I'll plan a few fishing trips after Monday then ...when the suns back out! :2vrolijk_08:

Cheers
Rob