PDA

View Full Version : What compass does everyone have?

Mrs Ronnie H
04-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi All
Hope this is in the right section!!!

Just wondering what brand , type of compass you all use in your boats. As it was pointed out to me if your GPS fails then you really do need to have a Compass . Something I suppose was a very lax decision whne we were fitting out the boat.

I am looking at buying one to fit on the dash so it would need to be bracket mounted.
Also exactly how far have you got yours away from your electronics so as not to cause any interference.

Ronnie

krazyfisher
04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I thought by law you needed a compass on the boat?????

cant remember what brand it is but make sure you get a large one with a back light......... GPS will always stop at night.
I have mine mounted in front of the wheel makes it easier to nav. maybe 300-500mm from sounder and GPS

FNQCairns
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Possibly no true help but it suits the conditions i boat in and my choice in fitted accessory, i have a cheapy, not dead cheap and sold as a boat bit anyway it lives in my safety box with all of the other stuff and still in it's moulded transparent plastic case...I assumed i comply and will simply take it on the chin each time if I was deemed as not.

cheers fnq

garman1
04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Mine is a "ritchie" and is mounted just in front of the steering wheel. I agree with krazyfisher about the gps failing at night.

I use the gps a lot for setting a course (like most of us) but it is interesting to steer by compass and to get where you want to go by compass only. I hope that by mucking around with the compass in the daylight, it might pay off if the gps fails on a dark and stormy night.

finga
04-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a compass in the big boat but I wouldn't use it.
I have a good hand held though with backlight and when you use it it's away from all the magnetic crap anyways...and it doesn't just corrode away like the dash mounted one has done. Mine is like this http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-174-suunto-commander-compass.aspx
Make sure you calibrate it too if you bung on in the boat. Just to make sure.

soggy1
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I've actully just gone through the process of making sure my boat is legal and according to the rule book a compass and maps are now only recomened they are not a requierment along with a whole lot of items that have changed for some unkown reason.

PinHead
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
The other thing is to able to read a compass in conjunction with a chart.

TheRealAndy
05-01-2010, 12:17 AM
I own a plastimo iris 50. Its a hand bearing compass. Best compass I have ever bought. Its graduated to 1 degree, and you can easily read it on the water to 5 degrees. On a calm day you get 2 degrees no problem.