PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted on camp sites in northern nsw

uglyfish
03-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Happy new year to all i trust everyone had a great x mas break.Im want some advise on bush camp spots in northern nsw.
Next to a river so the young bloke and me can be entertained, fresh or salt dont really matter to me.
Thanks in advance guys...

chisel
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Depends how far you want to go but I enjoyed "The Gorge" in the Clarence River gorge area. I didn't fish, but I saw quite a few large bass (I think) near the gorge falls.
I'm sure there are many other spots.

uglyfish
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Will travel about 3 hrs..Whats the price per night to stay mate?

Aunty Jack
04-01-2010, 12:01 PM
If Ballina not to far theres two good parks.
300m to beach driving/ fishing one side,
30m creek finshing to the other side.

uglyfish
04-01-2010, 01:02 PM
where is this place mate???Is it bush camping or caravan park style, and how much per night?

JEWIENEWIE
04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Its called the clarence river gorge. West of copmanhurst. Neil winters is the man you need to speak to. Been there plenty of times and will go again for sure, Dont have his number but google it and you will find it. Bush camping and bugger all cost.:-X
Jewie

uglyfish
04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Any fishing to be done mate, and apart from bass what else am i likely to hook on to?

Aunty Jack
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
where is this place mate???Is it bush camping or caravan park style, and how much per night?

PM sent look in your in box.

reilly
05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Woody Head good, national park camp right on water no power but has hot showers fire places on most sites and free firewood just google it
caught skippys flathead and snapper offshore (beach launching) ramp

Sandon is a bit further opposite brooms Head has a boat ramp in the river a bar to get offshore but the river had plenty of flathead bream whiting to be caught this spot was voted one of the most beautiful places on earth by some mag
has hot showers no power free firewood and fireplaces on most campsites you can beach fish nil charge for the 4wd this place has all bases covered beach river all just a step away and some great fishing

These places are on unique headlands and offer endless safe lagoons rock-pools to entertain the kids for hours my boys just loved it.

chisel
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Will travel about 3 hrs..Whats the price per night to stay mate?
Info here http://theclarencegorge.com/index.html
Might be more than 3 hours. $15/night for the whole family.

The other places mentioned (eg. woody head, ballina) aren't really bush camping to me. Minnie water (in the natnl park) is a bit more like bush camping and pebbly beach is better again but they are more than 3 hrs.

uglyfish
06-01-2010, 10:10 AM
thanks for all the help fellas,change of plans just heading down to flannagans reserve now...Does anyone now what the river down that way produces??

chisel
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I haven't been there but isn't flanagans near bigriggen? The "river" there is really just a creek with a few deeper holes. I guess there might be some catfish and eels

Knackers
07-01-2010, 05:15 AM
We were at Flannagans reserve ( near Rathdowny) last May. Not sure what else is there fishwise but saw up to a dozen decent fish in the water and thought I'd have a fish and flicked a line out. Turned out to be carp about 2kg each. Caught 4 in half an hour.
Knackers

Aunty Jack
07-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if there wernt a few dirty old CARP.

manchild
08-01-2010, 03:42 PM
You can always fish maroon dam around the corner.Bass is better than carp.
George

Haji-Baba
10-01-2010, 02:54 PM
For fresh water camping and fishing contact The Forestry Dept. Glen Innes.

Quite a few years ago I was sent maps and details of all the reserves and public access areas for "The Northern Rivers."

Maybe it has all changed now but at that time their help was outstanding.

In my opinion the Northern Rivers. of N.S.W. is "God's Country."

You have to get off the beaten track and explore, never miss a chance to talk to a local cocky and always thanks, or a gift if you get nformation.

I used to often have a small item of wood turning, eg Tooth pick holder or similar.

If I went back onto private property a small item turned from their wood heap would be appreciated.

Your style of approach to country people will often open closed doors/gates.

Ask for and obey any local rules.

And remember take your rubbish home, don't bury it.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

bungie
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.wavehillfarmstay.com.au/

Saltboy
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I'd definitely suggest staying at Brooms Head. As mentioned earlier you have Sandon River near by and also Redcliffes and Yamba and Iluka close by. Best of everything and the bowls club does a lunchtime Chinese feed for $6.00 !!!!!!!!!!

Dave