PDA

View Full Version : Last trip for the Chrissy break

Daintreeboy
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Managed to fit one more trip in with Moffy on Saturday. The weather was pretty awful so we potted around Snapper Island off the Daintree for a fair while before heading out wide just before noon. We managed a couple of nice trout and Gold Spot trevally at snapper so it wasn't all bad, the biggest trout went around 65 cm. With such a late start to the reef we fished only two spots which is not ideal.
The first spot had no run and not much biting but I managed to land a beautiful Jack on a soft plastic which was awesome.
As soon as we hit the second spot fish were chewing their heads off and the bottom fish were all quality. Moffy lost something really big on the initial drift and another fish took him through the coral soon after.
It took me a while to get a bait down as Moffy also had something take the mackerel floater pretty quickly which turned out to be a shark and mine went soon after which was a more promising return of a Spanish Mackerel. My first bait down saw another quality fish hooked with a 5.5 kilo Red Empreror brought onboard. We ended up getting a few more good fish, a Spangled Emperor, Long Nose Emperor, Shark Mackerel, Tea Leaf trevally and a Large mouth nanny were all boated before we had to pull up stumps. The Red Emperor and Large Mouth hook ups both felt like doubles until mid way through both fights where the second fish got off.
It was a good mixed bag for around 3 hours on the reef and 2 spots, especially at this time of year. Would have been good to get out there earlier or stay a bit longer as there were still plenty of fish down there.

Sounded like a lot of boats out, anyone have any luck?

TCSunCoast
03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Great couple of fish there, thanks for the report.

Tony

Pazz01
04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
I went out last week, it was pretty slow going, even in 65 metres of water. We got a few big mouth all around 15 pound and a few big red emperor around 20 - 30 pound which made up for everything.

But the sharks were around.

Pazz