PDA

View Full Version : Good heavy duty tarps in Brissy??

Bassjunky
03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I am in the hunt for a descent tarp for camping.I dont mind paying good money but want them to last. I would like reinforced corners etc. Has any recently bought one and where could you recommend a shop.
Cheers Craig

(http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=339400)

chisel
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
The oztrail ultrarig tarps aren't strong enough? I thought they were pretty tough, and you can get them anywhere.
You could probably get a heavy duty canvas tarp made up. Perhaps try infrontcampinggear.com.au

griz066
13-01-2010, 07:03 AM
I use durarig tarps from camping world and have had a 24x20 for around 15 years and it is still going strong, been through some sh!tty windy weather without any problems. I just upsized to a 30x24 and put it to the test after xmas at Boondooma Dam once again it stood the test. They have reinforced corners D rings for the poles to go through. Just remember the golden rule A POLE FOR EVERY HOLE.

StevenM
14-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Griz

your ight with your comment "Just remember the golden rule A POLE FOR EVERY HOLE"

they are not put their for sh its and giggles

jclay1773
14-01-2010, 06:53 PM
My 10yr old tarp has finally stopped keeping me dry when it rains while camping. Leaked heaps while at Fraser recently. People mention looking after them correctly. What exactly can you do to preserve them. Should you rinse the salt spray off for example. Does the constant folding do damage? How much would a durarig tarp 20 x 24 set you back. Thanks, John

Seahorse
14-01-2010, 09:13 PM
The silver /green tarps from bcf are fine or any other camp shop.
as said before, the golden rule pole per hole and dont forget the springs on the ropes.
When i went camping up the beach i always put spreader bars acrooss the front of tarp facing the water.
stops the flap, and if ur going to cop the wind then normally s/e or n/e.
Never had a prob yet.
I also had a couple of centre holes put in tarp, and couple poles, pegged to ground.
It could blow 30knt and i would be fine.

Cheers
Greg

jclay1773
14-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi seahorse, thanks for that but I already do all that you mentioned. Is 10yrs about the life span. Gets used fairly regularly for camping trips. Thanks, John

griz066
16-01-2010, 07:32 AM
How much would a durarig tarp 20 x 24 set you back. Thanks, John

The 30x24 cost me $189 and i would expect it to last longer than 10 years

jclay1773
16-01-2010, 04:48 PM
thanks griz066

Chimo
17-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I and a few of my neighbours have started using these peoples tarps.

They have a range of qualities and they supply direct so there are less "middle feeders" The 3 yr guarantee poly (white green)is the one I have over the boat and it will last more than that as they told me to flip it and expose both sides to the sun as they are both UV resistant.

There is a handy outlet here on the GC (with its own 1300 no) as well as the other places listed. If you want the local contac details PM me

http://www.southerntarps.com.au/page/polytarps.html

Cheers
Chimo

Seahorse
17-01-2010, 08:42 PM
10 yrs at $189, thats value.
using regularly, i wouldnt have thought 10 yrs.

TheRealAndy
17-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I know someone who makes custom tarps. He made our ECOFishers banner for nothing. John is the name and his number is 0402 793 188. Uncle of a mate of mine. His work is good, he made a camping tarp for same mate and its bloody good tarp.

Best part is, once made it can be altered. IE, the one we had made is going to get small curtains added so we can put another tarp for a wall without water running in during storms.

griz066
18-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I and a few of my neighbours have started using these peoples tarps.

They have a range of qualities and they supply direct so there are less "middle feeders" The 3 yr guarantee poly (white green)is the one I have over the boat and it will last more than that as they told me to flip it and expose both sides to the sun as they are both UV resistant.

There is a handy outlet here on the GC (with its own 1300 no) as well as the other places listed. If you want the local contac details PM me

http://www.southerntarps.com.au/page/polytarps.html

Cheers
Chimo
How do you find the eyelets hold up in the wind? My experience is 100% fail with eyelets in windy conditions.

Chimo
18-01-2010, 09:13 AM
The corners have solid plastic triangles as eyelets and the edges have rope reinforcing with round eyelets spaced between the corners
No issues with eyelets to report. Did you check the web site for specs?

Cheers
Chimo

YOOT
18-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I use an OzTrail durarig tarp 20x15 foot (roughly) with a spreader bar to shed the water. I rigged up a centre poll to take the weight.

I also have a 4x6 foot tarp for the ute which is 5 years old, and both tarps look brand new. they would go close to being indestructable.

By Brother in-law uses a 30-foot one with elaborate centre pole setup (looks like a marquee), once again it look sbrand new after all these years.

I paid $300 for Tarp, abotu 12-15 poles, guy ropes and sand pegs, canvas pole bag, and canvas peg and guy rope bag. From Downunder camping.

Explorer570
23-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I had a 6m x 6m tarp custom made about 12 years ago now. Sunset Canvas Toowoomba. It is made from reuseable cotton module tarp material. These tarps are used to cover cotton modules waiting at the cotton ginnery. It is a relatively lightweight material, fully waterproof with unsurpassed UV protection. These tarps sit in the sun, wind and rain for up to 4 months of the year and get reused for about 10 years before they are unserviceable.

The tarp I had made has 5 poles on each edge and 5 down the centre. The centre poles are used to shed water. All poles are fitted with springs or tyre tubes. All eyelets are reinforced SS and the entire edge has a rope stiched in to assist strength.

Great tarp setup, but expensive. About $500 for the setup 12 years ago. I will hope to get another ten years out of this setup. After each use I wash down with fresh water, allow to dry and fold neatly.

This setup has been used in near cyclone conditions with no dramas to date. We just move small curtain tarps around the structure to block the prevailing wind/rain.

Just another option. The large factory tarps available now do seem to be good value. Impossible to know the quality though.

Cheers
Sam