PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo, Emperor and YFT

ON-THE-CHEW
02-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Second time I have had to type this post as the site crashed as doing it so will make it short and sweet.

Bashed our way out to hutchies this morning, had first lines in the water at 6am. Decided to troll first along with the other 20 boats out there doing the same thing. It wasn't long and Gordo landed is first ever wahoo, 125cms and 9.5kg, not bad for a first. It was very slow after this. Weather wasn't flash with the forecast changing over night and the occasional shower and winds that come with it.

Trolled for a while, heaps of bait on the sounder with plenty of fish as well but nothing wanted to play the game. Had a go at plastics and jigs for a while, not much on either which is very unusual, as the kingies usually play the game no matter what the conditions. Nathan caught his PB emperor on a lucanis jig which came out of the blue, with not much to talk about for most of the morning.

We had a quick go with our popping rods and Nathan picked up his first ever yellowfin tuna, wasn't a fair fight with 15kgs of drag and was very green when he was boarded.

Was a funny day, not the best weather, heaps of boat traffic but still got 3 pbs for the trip. I don't know if it was the bloody northerlies or the boat traffic or a combination of both but it was pretty tough work. Still any day on the water is better than a day at work.

Andrew

Dantren
02-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Good work mate. Still worth the bash out obviously......

PlasticFantastic
02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Just finished eating a Wahoo steak from Gordos fish that I grilled on the BBQ, good stuff. Yellowfin with Soy Sauce for tea tomorrow night just need me some Dolphin fish for later in the week. Great day out even though I didn't catch anything, might have to pull the first sickie for 2010 if you head out Wednesday.

PlasticFantastic

ON-THE-CHEW
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
RDO wednesday and it is finally blowing southerlies.

Andrew

Pistol_P
02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Nice wahoo to ya mate Andrew...top looking fish they are.

GT pop on Wednesday..?

Pete

ON-THE-CHEW
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Yah that is the plan hopefully not as much boat traffic, might try a few locations. Pop till I get buggered then troll for a bit then pop, pop and pop some more.

Andrew

madmackrel
02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
8-) Andrew think you were spot on with the comment on the boat traffic, was in the bay on new years day and was listening on 21 to a guy that was cleaning up at hutchies and he mentioned the lack of boats out there. Good work on catching what you did.
Cheers and happy new year to all:D MM

captain rednut
02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
hi andrew i was next to you when you where pulling the boat out at spiinaker today and saw the ausfish sticker, you had the dpi bloke chatting you so i didnt get a chance to say hi, so hello and well done on your mates first wahoo.
cheers jim

vertico
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
sounds like a plan :P

ON-THE-CHEW
02-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Jim,
He was hitting us up to see if we had caught any mackeral species, that would be a tough job sitting there watching people bring their boats in and you just have to sit and watch. I would be hitting everyone up for a trip out and bullshit the figures at the end of the day.

Andrew

Sandman
02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Any size to the yellow fin? Hopefully still a few nomads when i get out there cant pass yellowfin straight from the water:)

ON-THE-CHEW
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
No real size to it only a few kilo, cool thing was it was only 60-70cms long but it hit a popper that was almost half its length.

Andrew

GPB
02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Pete, that's someone else that didn't make it to the Fishhead sale today ;D

Wednesday and Thursday looking the best for next week, so far::)

Sandman
02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Did you get it west of hutchies , seem to get them just off the trench ?

ON-THE-CHEW
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Nah got it just east of hutchies, we made it to fishheads sale but by the time we got there all the good stuff was gone :(

Andrew

Sandman
02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Good wahoo all the same and a little Jelly bean to chew on anyway pity the biger YFT arent around

Horse
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Nice Hoo. How do you do the poppering? Just on the top of Hutchies or around the bait schools?
I can see a mid weeker coming up. Thurs looks best but the window is closing.

Midnight
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Gday On The Chew,
It sure was busy there this morning! Well done on your Wahoo Gordo!
I was the Bertram 25 that passed you at Hutchies a few times. We had a good day, double and triple hook ups on Wahoo, Mahi Mahi and Blacks. We couldnt keep a Marlin on all day, and had some good strikes and fish in the spread.
Ended up with 6 Wahoo, a Mahi Mahi and 2 Yellow Fin.
I will post in the reports tomorrow.

Wednesday,Thursday should be good after the S.E blow.

Cheers,
Myles

lido76
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm heading up to fish the bribie comp next week so hopefully the fish hang around and I can mess with my first hoo and black.Can't wait congrats on the pbs.
Cheers Brendan......

ON-THE-CHEW
03-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Myles,
Where you guys just running skirts or did you have some divers out as well. What worked best for you on the day.

Horse,
Main things we look for when popping, is current, bait, structure and if you can get all three it is a bonus. It is hard to get a fish to hit a surface popper with a lot of boat traffic the fish will tend to stay in mid water.

Andrew

DALEPRICE
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
gday andrew,
i saw you trolling past i think just as that rain and wind
went screaming past and thought, shit these blokes are keen in the open boat......lol
some nice fish in the kit
cheers dale
we were also just dropping some jigs down but couldnt win a trick so gave it up.

Midnight
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Gday Andrew,
Short answer mate, gotta clean the bbq etc haha I will do a full report later tonight after everyone has left.

We ran both, but a red/white Halco Laser pro 190 Crazy Deep caught 4 of the Wahoo, the Mahi Mahi and a Yellow Fin, Same Laser pro in Blue Mackeral colour got a Wahoo within 2 minutes of being in the water and the other Yellow Fin.
Got 1 Wahoo on a Black Barts El Squid Jnr and had a couple of skirts ruined by the Hoos on missed strikes.

The Marlin strikes and hook ups were all on various skirts.

Cheers,
Myles

lethal098
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Top stuf guys, we were on our way to hutchies for a troll about 11am but we had an idler bearing seize on the motor which ruined our plans, we had a bottom bash early in the day and ended up with about 15 fish with some nice pearlies in there. Would have given it all up for a hoo or dolly.

cheers Lee

ON-THE-CHEW
03-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Dale,
A center console is the ultimate all round fishing boat, but getting from A to B and if it rains sometimes you might as well just jump in the drink you get just as wet :) Hopefully get back out there on wednesday have an RDO and weather is looking a lot better (no rain).

Andrew

Goldfinch
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Nice result Andrew. It's a tough time of the year to fish so any PB is a bonus. Later this week is looking good....might see you out there.

Cheers
Dave

rugbymick
06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Is that a Galeforce boat? I have one but in 2 years haven't been out of the bay yet....(never seen to be on the water when the weather is right). How have you found it out that far?

rugbymick8-)

ON-THE-CHEW
06-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Rugbymick,
Yah handles the offshore stuff really well, you get some funny looks from some of the big boats when you turn up at the 50s or further in it, but has handled everything I have ever taken it out in.

Andrew