PDA

View Full Version : outboard oil leak

fbawlgf
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
hi all.
my 2stroke outboard has just started leaking oil from behind the prop its only a few dropes a week but im wondering if its a stuffed seal or a oil build up from the fuel.i took a plug out to see if it was oiled but no more than usual.anyone got any ideas
thanks

Steeler
02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi fbawlgf

Has happened to me in the past and found it to be exhaust residue,i hadn't used the boat for some time and was just giving it a run on the muffs in the driveway hence they don't get a good clean like being fully submerged when out in them.

What type of outboard and is it two stroke oil or does it smell like transmission oil possibly leaking from the back seal of the gearbox.

Steve

fbawlgf
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
hi steeler.its a toyhatsu and the oil doesnt really have a smell but it is black.i thinking if it was exaust residue it would be in the prop but that seems to be clean(for a 2 stroke)

soulfish
02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
My 20hp yammy 2st is doing the same ,i'd say you've done a seal.I unwound 10 metres of braid from around my prop & it's now slowly dripping oil.

jason

Dan5
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
My 20hp yammy 2st is doing the same ,i'd say you've done a seal.I unwound 10 metres of braid from around my prop & it's now slowly dripping oil.

jason

Mate get that repaired asap.........and don't use it until you do......I had one of those engines years ago and if you stuff the box.........well i paid $700 for a secondhand one from golden seal........they are rare as rocking horse shite.

It should only cost you around $150 to get it repaired........

soulfish
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Mate get that repaired asap.........and don't use it until you do......I had one of those engines years ago and if you stuff the box.........well i paid $700 for a secondhand one from golden seal........they are rare as rocking horse shite.

It should only cost you around $150 to get it repaired........

thanks mate,no i wont be using it just waiting for the mechanic to open again from chrissy break.Bloody things only 2 weeks old

jason