PDA

View Full Version : Eagle FishEasy working intermittently

Rapson
01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I recently bought a boat that has an Eagle Fish Easy fish finder installed.

The seller told me that it didnt work, however I have since played with it and have actually been able to turn the unit on about 4 times. Most of the time I press the power button and just get a faint beep. The times that I did get it to turn on it appeared to work fine, picked up the ground and cycled through all the menues fine.

Downloaded the manual but found no help there. The power supply appears to be good, brand new battery in the boat yesterday.

Has anyone had any experience with these sounders? Is there anyone who can fix them or should I just bin it and start again?

dreemon
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I've been having some probs with my sounder but it's getting worse,

I did find that part of the prob was the pin connector behind the unit, on the female side of it there was corrosion that was hard to see, didn't even look like there was a F pin inside, then scraped at it with a hook enough to keep it going.

if you get a small drill bit you could probly clean the connections well enough to bring it back to life, . . . . . . . . . hopfully Cheers

Rapson
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Dreemon, I gave that a shot, even gave the pins a tiny bend to ensure a good connection but no change. Tested with a mulit meter and its getting 12V.
Back to the drawing board.....

finga
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Mate, multi-meters are not good for testing for this occasion or purpose.
They have a very low internal resistance and as such pick up voltages very easily.
For this type of testing a 12v test lamp is the best. You'll probably find the light will be very dim when you put it on the power cable.
I reckon the sounder will come good when your boats all rewired.
Cheers then
Scott

Rapson
02-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Right you are Scott! I just checked out the power wiring for the sounder and you guessed it dodgy conections everywhere!

Disconected the sounder and hooked it directly to the battery and bobs your uncle, she works a treat!

Garry was around this arvo to check out the dogs breakfast of the wiring job I have, hope to get it all ship shape soon.

finga
02-01-2010, 09:03 PM
See. Saved the cost of a sounder already :)