PDA

View Full Version : Croc signs at Tin Can Bay

Hell Boy
30-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I was up fishing at Tin Can Bay for xmas and i noticed that they have put up a warning sign in the carpark. But where do you think they put them??? you would think that they would be at the boat ramp with the marine park sign, so you can see them when you launch your boat.

But No, they have put the sign up next to the wash down bay near the exit. What moron would put it there!!!! you only see the sign after you been fishing and going home. i wonder if they put it up there so the people that feed the dolphins don't see it.

im going to write to the council for a please explain for the location of the signs, and if there is croc signs then from a safety point of view there should be a floating pontoon for launching and retrieving.

has anyone heard more about sightings up that way?

Cheers,

Bryn

tigermullet
30-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Crocs at Tin Can Bay??? About as much use as putting up a sign asking people to be careful when reversing down the ramp so they don't run over the tooth fairy.

MyEscape
31-12-2009, 05:50 AM
I'd agree.

I think the authorities just try to cover their a...

There seems to be all sorts of "unconfirmed" sightings down that way. If there are crocs there then there will be the obvious other signs like slides on the bank etc.

Steve

marty+jojo
31-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Barra and Threadfin in the Bisbane river, i think there is every chance a croc or two can stray a bit further south. I would not be to worried about launching and retrieving the boat though, if you are just keep yourself between the boat and the ramp.
Marty.

jimbamb
31-12-2009, 09:40 AM
M&JJ.
Now the crocs know your strategy for launching/retrieving..I bet they will now attack from the sides.. BEWARE!!!!!!! Killer crocs are very smart...and read posts on ausfish!!!!
Jim

Sandman
31-12-2009, 09:47 AM
54607Photo taken by Michael Howcroft in Bulolo PNG town water supply 1986?

Entirely possible no croc proof fences!! I caught this fellow in PNG i know different country etc but it was at 2000ft above sea level in our Town water supply, now it didnt travel there naturaly but quiet a few that got out have grown to significant size one was sighted way before this was caught being over 3mtrs now for the easter highlands of PNG thats a big lizard :)
In Australia on the east coast i believe there is historical photoes as far south as Logan in the 1900's of crocs being caught, why ? could be many reasons croc swim a long distance maybe the odd one gets caught in a current after bad weather, but i for one will never doubt a sighting as the proof in my photo is it is entirely possible even at 2000ft:o

mick

Scott nthQld
31-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd agree.

I think the authorities just try to cover their a...

There seems to be all sorts of "unconfirmed" sightings down that way. If there are crocs there then there will be the obvious other signs like slides on the bank etc.

Steve

Cros slides aren't as obvious as steve irwin would have everyone think, in the 8 years I have been living and fishing in Townsville, I have seen only one croc slide, plenty of crocs, but one slide. Slide don't just stick out like dogs balls you really have to be looking for them to spot them, and even then its very difficult.

BTW, there's nothing stopping a croc from going down that way, except winter maybe. Crocs can swim very, very long distances, they have been recorded way offshore with no land for miles in any direction.

tigermullet
31-12-2009, 01:54 PM
54607Photo taken by Michael Howcroft in Bulolo PNG town water supply 1986?

Entirely possible no croc proof fences!! I caught this fellow in PNG i know different country etc but it was at 2000ft above sea level in our Town water supply, now it didnt travel there naturaly but quiet a few that got out have grown to significant size one was sighted way before this was caught being over 3mtrs now for the easter highlands of PNG thats a big lizard :)
In Australia on the east coast i believe there is historical photoes as far south as Logan in the 1900's of crocs being caught, why ? could be many reasons croc swim a long distance maybe the odd one gets caught in a current after bad weather, but i for one will never doubt a sighting as the proof in my photo is it is entirely possible even at 2000ft:o

mick

Thanks for the very interesting post and for the reminder about the old photographs.

I take back my remarks about the tooth fairy - it seems it is possible for crocs to travel so far south.

I'd love to see one at the Pin causing a scatter among the hordes of little, white, fluffy dogs.;D

Hell Boy
31-12-2009, 03:12 PM
After we saw the croc signs when we were leaving the boat ramp, we had a bit of a laugh, because i made my girlfriend dive in the water at the docking pontoon to put the bungs, because she forgot to put them. (her job). She won't forget next time::)

Sandman
31-12-2009, 05:48 PM
It wasnt that long ago there was a confirmed sighting at Hervey bay at the ramp so best to be a little cautious until you get as far south as Tweed i reackon :)

sandbankmagnet
31-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Woah woah here..... I need some clarification. Is the tooth fairy OK? Because my daughter is currently spitting teeth out like a gatling gun and costing me a fortune.

Sandman
31-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Woah woah here..... I need some clarification. Is the tooth fairy OK? Because my daughter is currently spitting teeth out like a gatling gun and costing me a fortune.

Think you better get onto Tin Can Bay Council the croc ate her after being done over by a cruiser backing her boat out ;D

MyEscape
01-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Scott,

Slides, yes well the crocs around Mackay seem to leave them. See evidence regularly in the creeks to the south of Mackay where I fish.

Steve

Donny Boy
01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
New RACQ ad perhaps ????

" Tooth Fairy ??.........What Tooth Fairy ???? " ::)

hondaguy
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
The pros fishers at Tin Can reckon they turn for a few weeks each year with the barra in January/February with the warmer waters. Only small numbers but enough for the locals to keep an eye out for them.
The reason you would not see slide marks as there is only a few mud banks in the Sandy Straits that I of. Plus the tides are smaller so less bank to see the slide marks
The signs are most likely put up by DERM (EPA) not Coolola Council which would explain things. Is there still dolphin feeding near the boat ramp? The store may have had the signs moved not to scare the tourist feeding the dolphins.

Brandon
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I have seen a photo of a 3m croc taken by the guys at range control of the military training area at wide bay.

gr hilly
10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
i wouldnt be suprised so many people have them as pets and when they get to big well they might let them go near your local boat jimbamb watch out for your toes mate lol

fishel
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
No saying they are not there, but I wouldn't be too worried about crocs at Tin Can Bay as there would be a far greater chance of a shark attack than a croc attack. When I was there a couple of years ago a girl came into the supermarket with a wound on her leg she said was caused by a shark which bit her on the calf when she was in knee deep water at a boat ramp. Some idiots were throwing fish remains into the water alongside the ramp. Good shark attractant.

Eleanor