PDA

View Full Version : Second Transducer - Help

DarkHorse
30-12-2009, 08:36 AM
G'Day Crew,

Well I couldnt help myself and went and purchased the new Lowrance structure scan unit, unfortunately unlike the humminbird unit it has a second or seperate transducer :'(

Looking at the back of my boat, not too happy about install options........

I DO NOT want to drill straight into the hull, not an option. Your thoughts??

Looking at it either way installed on transom mount one or both transducers will get noise from the hull.

Regards

Rob
Here is a picture:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/737pilot/DSC04945.jpg

finga
30-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Let me get this right.
Will there be a need to have 2 or 3 gizmo's on the back of the boat?
ie if 2 sounders used and there will be 2 tranducers that go pinge with the new sounder having a seperate speed/temp tranducer as well as the pinging one??
If your going to use 2 sounders you can mount the less important transducer on the inside of the hull and them mount the important pinging transducer where shown in the picture and the speed/temp can be mounted next to it. It is not as critical to have 'clean' water for the temp/speed one.

DarkHorse
30-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Finga,

Not a separate sounder as such, just and ADD ON for the Lowrance HDS sounder I have. It uses another transducer for 400/800 Khz I think for the side/down scan.

The side/down scan will only really be used at low or trolling speeds......... I was thinking of mounting it to the left of the current one and moving the current one slightly to the right, trying to use as much of the existing holes as possible.

Regards,

Rob

finga
30-12-2009, 10:33 AM
That's a problem for Grand-Marlin.
Where are you Pete??

Coontakinta
31-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but why not mount the second ducer on the otherside of the boat?

PinHead
31-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I have mine on opposite sides of the boat..no problems.

wetryin
31-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeh me too I had a Hummingbird sounder but it keeps loosing the bottom. So i went out and bought a Lowrance sounder. Beats the Humm hands down. Picks up so much better structure and it is interesting to see how they differ with their fish finding. And no where near as much interference as compared to the hum wiht the motor under full throttle. I too mounted it the other side of the motor. From the instructions it seemed that you had to play round with it to get the right setting but I must have done it right first time. I have not touched it at all. That was 3 months ago.