PDA

View Full Version : Fishing comps

PinHead
30-12-2009, 07:24 AM
For those that are keen on comps:
1. Do you prefer cash or goods as prizes?
2. C&R & photo or weigh in of fish?
3. Lures and plastics only or bait also ?
4. What do you consider as a reasonable entry fee?
5. Do you think the numbers of competitors should be restricted?

mylestom
30-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Competitions are individual events and will not work if there is no entrants.

Therefore each one have different formats and types of fishing.

Prizes are only what a sponsor can give and therefore are restricted.

Without the goodwill of all the committee organising, the sponsors and competitors their is no competition.

Sorry but it's not really a one size fits all type of thing.

Fresh, Salt, Estuary, Impoundment, Deep Sea, Boat, Kayak, Tournament, AFC, Catch n Release weigh-in or photo, Catch n Keep, Tag and the list goes on.
Marlin, Tuna, Bass, Barra, Bream, Flathead, Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, Carp, Eel, Trout, Tailor it is endless and hard to find a one size fits all.

Have been through the discussion with others and also government authorities and it is up to the individuals who setup and run these things, mostly volunteers who do a great job. Some are professionally run and others fit somewhere in between.

This is always within the rules and regulations that apply to fishing in that locality.

Regards
Trev

PinHead
30-12-2009, 08:19 AM
thanks for the input trev..i am well aware of all the points you made but I am after what entrants prefer.

Ausfish
30-12-2009, 08:46 AM
No prizes

C&R with photo and weight - secret weight to determine winner

Everything

$100 to $150

Depending on the area and length of time, definitely if on a Freshwater stocked impoundment for safety and facilities. Most saltwater areas would be fine I would imagine.

finga
30-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Depends on entry fee. If a large fee then a prize of some description but I would settle for a trophy but, for me, it would also depend hugely on what the comp was for
either way but to record catch photo on brag mat with item of the day ie keys in picture is the way to go with me
What-ever tickles your fancy...legally of course
Depends on the prizes etc OR depends on where the entry fee is going to. ie fund raising for kids hospital or something similar around the $100 and every one who nominates gets a ticket to say ta and a secret weight trophy given so everyone gets a chance
yes, limited numbers but the number would depend where the thing is run, how much nomination is or the standard of the prizes etc.

So in short it would all depend on the individual competition and what it's purpose is.

What are you thinking Mr Pinhead??

krazyfisher
30-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Prizes
Both it would depend on the type of fish
would fish either
$50 but would be happy to pay more if the numbers were restricted
depends if is a community base comp. proceeds going to a good cause or out and out fishing comp than restricted with a higher entry fee

youngy
30-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi Pinhead, quite a good question really, i think if you asked most comp fisherman the first requirement would be that it is run fairly and honestly.

As far as goods or cash as prizes, the ones where there is no cash prizes would seem to be better with more normal size wild fish weighed in rather than short fat lake fish.

My preference is a weigh in where competitors are limited to 1 fish per species per day, nobody wants to see a slaughter at any comps it's just not a good look.

Lures or bait would depend on species targeted.

I have paid entry fees from $15 to $220, doesn't worry me as long as the entry fee is relevant to the prizes offered.

Competitor numbers should not be limited for any other reason other than the numbers a particular venue can hold.

My 2 bobs worth. cheers wayne.

shrunken pojie
31-12-2009, 12:32 AM
I think goods are a better prize. Donated goods (rods, reels, fish grippers etc.) and a trophy
C&R with tag provided by comp visable in photo (release not mandatory if you want a feed)
3. Lures and plastics only or bait also?
Lures, plastics, baits, even nets (I am pretty handy with a cast net ;)).
$5 - $10 Just enough to cover costs of admim and trophies.
Numbers should be appropriate to the venue.

I have only ever done 1 comp before and it was free. The prizes were all donated goods. It was a good, friendly atmosphere and no one was playing for sheep stations.

Lucky_Phill
02-01-2010, 07:31 AM

Prizes and vouchers. cash attracts the " ferets "....

C & R with pic OR weigh in.... BUT SECRET WEIGHT system is a must.

different divisions are OK.

Enough to cover expenses of running the comp, if any left over, donate it to a VMR or charity.

You will have to play it by ear. The more competitors, the more infrastructure you will need in terms of committee folk, liability cover, facilities and sponsors / prizes.

Greg,

being involved in club comps for many years we both know what is required to run a comp and also the problems that can arise.

Any competition that starts up now will have to be very very mindfull of the current environmental climate and promote that comp with this in mind.

I am not saying, bow to the radical green element that is blind to the real world, simply, if a new comp is to be promoted it would be great if it is done so with the blessing of groups like DPI&F, DERM, Marine Queensland, ECOfishers, various research groups, Tourism Qld, Sunfish, Recfish and of course Info-fish and more.

The information gathered in any comp will prove invaluable to research groups as it is a prime opportunity to harvest frames, lengths, weights, location captures etc

There is a great opportunity in Queensland to establish a recreational fishing competition that would be seen to be at the forefront of fishing conservation, education and research as well as highlighting the importance of social and economic advantages of recreational fishing.

I cannot emphasis enough the importance of taking the whole family fishing. Recreational fishing in Australia has been and is, a cultural event and should be treated this way.

Sorry to have babbled on...........8-)

Cheers phill

gr hilly
10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
from what ive seen if you want a good fishing comp then the sdradie classic needs to go back on the island 1800 entrants will take some beating