PDA

View Full Version : moreton bay water spouts

TheRealAndy
29-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Did anyone see them today? At one stage I counted 5 at the same time. Have not seen any for a good 15 years now. I saw one drop done was pretty fat, not sure if it hit the water, rain blocked our view.

SALTY"D"
29-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi
I always thought they were a wifes tale until i seen two close together inside mud. someone had caught it on video and it was on brownies coast report one night some years back. they were touching the water, but were only skinny ones a cople of metres wide.

Axl
29-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I have been lucky enough to have seen many of them in my 20 odd year's of fishing around the bay and on the island's they certainly are a spectacular sight.

To have seen 5 in one hit would have been amazing.

bluefin59
30-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Yes we saw them yesterday arvo from out at mud ,it was unreal watching the storm forming and the spouts reaching down out of the clouds ....matt

TimiBoy
30-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Nice BBQ yesterday. I saw very little of anything...

But I saw a spout in October last year on the Bay.

Cheers,

Tim

bugman
30-12-2009, 08:49 AM
While heading out to the shelf off Tweed a few weeks back we watched a BIG one work for over 15mins.

The few that I've seen before have always been pretty small and have all been over in a few minutes.

This one was a fair way away from us but the funnel and the base on the water would have been quite big. I'm guessing 100m or so judging by the distance between us and it.

It was quit amazing to watch for so long. We were only in the tinnie and a long way from shore which made it an even eerier feeling.

Brett

juju
30-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Ive only caught sight of one once years ago.....but it was awsome sight

captain rednut
31-12-2009, 06:22 PM
hi andy i was fishing those days at hutchies and didnt see them ones but every year i see them in the bay! three years ago i photographed three in a row over scarborough reef, if i locate the photos i will post them.
cheers jim

shano
03-01-2010, 01:22 AM
i have seen a few at rainbow beach during one of there big storms.