PDA

View Full Version : what type of tinny to take to cape york? your preference

burleygu
29-12-2009, 09:17 PM
ok guys big cape trip plan'd for mid next year we are going for a month to a place called old mapoon about an hour north of weipa. we have been a few times before and have always only had a 3.75 stessco with a 20hp on the back and it isnt much fun when the gulf gets abit choppy and the sharks you catch are close to the size of the boat..
we will be doing quite alot of offshore work anywere from 2 to 20klms' into the gulf fishing the many reefs aswell as alot of river work when the wind blows up and the crab pots need to be checkd and counted to see how many have been destroyd by the crocs lol.
i already have a trailer and a motor the trailer can take up to a 5 mtr boat and the motor i have is a 50hp yammy tiller steer. so im wanting a boat anywere from 4.3 to 5 mtrs in length just thought id ask you guys if anyone had an opinion on what tinnys you's liked for example how the performed how the fair in choppy water and i guess price lol...... just chasing any information that might narrow my decision a little

Moffy
29-12-2009, 10:09 PM
BurleyGU,

A month - geez - jealous!!!

Was up there for a week in November (5th trip) . We had a pretty good trip weather wise - though the sely blew pretty well of a morning and the afternoon seabreeze came in like clockwork. Made it not exactly calm getting out to the reefs - but always good coming back (as long as you didn't stay too long) Also meant it could be a bit bumpy within Port Musgrave itself (across to namaleta or up to Wenlock/Ducie)

We were fishing out of a 4.7 topender with 60hp 4 stroke yammie on the back - also had a 4.3 topender with 50hp 4 stroke yammie and a 4.3 savage tinny with 25hp yammie on the back in the group of us. 4.7 was (obviously) the pick of the rigs for the conditions we had - it pretty much handled everything no worries - but the two other smaller boats went everywhere we went and caught probably more fish - as we in the bigger boat did a lot more running around exploring trying to find the bigones in the more distant locations - and so put in less time actually fishing.

Mid next year you can count on plenty of sely winds (offshore) and maybe not so much of the afternoon seabreeze to give you some respite. Regardless you will have wind against tide conditions - which is when that area is at its roughest.

What hull depends on how many you want to fish out of the one boat and how much fuel you want to carry etc. I think you'd find a 5m hull more than a little underpowered with the 50hp you have - i'd look at something along the lines of a 4.3 - 4.5m that is rated to carry the 50. The 4.3 topender is not a bad choice - the millenium hul handles the chop up there quite well - though there are many other hulls of similar capacity/ability. Something with high sides and large volume and a decent vee would be ideal.

Cement block boat ramp there now - so you won't have any issues pulling the boat out in terms of not getting bogged in the sand with a heavy boat - except that it will face into the sely and can be quite rough at the ramp.

I think if you are fixed to the 50hp that this will be the biggest factor for which hull you get - you don't want to be underpowered - have had some hairy trips coming the 3 miles back from namaleta to Cullen Point in small tinnies in wind against tide conditions up there - i'd pick something that has 50hp as its max rated hp.

Moffy

burleygu
29-12-2009, 10:55 PM
moffy legend thankyou great info mate!

i know exactly what you mean by coming back from the wenlock and the namaleita in a small boat our very first trip up there we had the 3.75 stessco with a 80's model 8hp mariner! NOT FUN!!!! we even did a trip down to the jainie? i beleive by water roughly 10 klms out from the mouth and lets just say that much motoring isnt fun with that size motor!
a ramp will be a big bonus! half of my decisions were going to be based on dragging my boat across the sand flats at low tide there for i didnt want to go to big hence the weight issue.. ive dont quite abit of pricing on the top enders and they are a set up im deffinately looking at however the price for them as aposed to a stessco or allycraft equivlant is abit of a difference. at the end of the day im just going to have to make a choice and be happy with it. alls i know is whatever choice that may be its going to beat the 8hp lol!

any chance you would have any gps marks for sum good bottom out there? we will be re inventing the wheel this trip finding all the ground again as the old handheld threw in the towel. will all be gettin stored on the chartplotter this time.

thanx again moff greatly apreciated!

Moffy
30-12-2009, 12:04 PM
BurleyGU,

Have a look on Google Earth - you will pick up some of the bigger bommies on the close in reef looking at this (plot the marks across to your GPS) - both at the end of Cullen Point itself and just south of Janie Creek - have caught some good fish on this reef - legal trout, fingermark to 4kg, decent parrot, cod etc (not to mention many many barracuda on the troll).

There is also some rubble patches out around 4 miles out from the point - round about where the contour line is on your GPS chart - a bit of time sounding out around near the windy bit in the contour line (you'll see the area i mean) should put you onto some fish - the rocks don't need to be very big to hold fish......

You should also get to Kerr Reef no probs with a bigger boat with the 50hp (I usually fish out there out of my 3.95 dart with 25hp no problems) though it was pretty quiet out there last trip. Just have to watch the conditions closely given how remote you are out there.

Would love to have a 6m+ boat myself up there now there's a decent ramp to launch from - we have some spots that are as far as 17 - 18 nm out in the Gulf - given the distance offshore they can be white hot to fish - the right window to fish them in smaller boats doesn't come along too often either - but these marks are sworn to secrecy i'm afraid.....

Moffy.

burleygu
30-12-2009, 04:29 PM
i think i may have a mark for the bommies down south near the janie. we caught some moster spanish mackeral off those. have noticed kerr reef on the chartplotter and am willing to have a run up there to see what its all about. am looking at a brooker 450 seaman good price has anchor well and extruded decks for 4200 so far my next choice is a bluefin viking 4.5 but they are 6200 for the hull.. if only money grew on trees and i happend to have one in my front yard lol

Kondo 1
30-12-2009, 06:05 PM
ok guys big cape trip plan'd for mid next year we are going for a month to a place called old mapoon about an hour north of weipa. we have been a few times before and have always only had a 3.75 stessco with a 20hp on the back and it isnt much fun when the gulf gets abit choppy and the sharks you catch are close to the size of the boat..
we will be doing quite alot of offshore work anywere from 2 to 20klms' into the gulf fishing the many reefs aswell as alot of river work when the wind blows up and the crab pots need to be checkd and counted to see how many have been destroyd by the crocs lol.
i already have a trailer and a motor the trailer can take up to a 5 mtr boat and the motor i have is a 50hp yammy tiller steer. so im wanting a boat anywere from 4.3 to 5 mtrs in length just thought id ask you guys if anyone had an opinion on what tinnys you's liked for example how the performed how the fair in choppy water and i guess price lol...... just chasing any information that might narrow my decision a little

Gday Mate,

Going through exactly the same dilemma at the moment :)

I have a Brooker Fisherman that came from Weipa and is a great boat but is getting a little long in the tooth and has had a hard life...

I have pretty much narrowed down my choice to the Seajay Territory (in either 4.55 or 4.85 - either of which should go fine with a 50 Yam) and the Blue fin Warrior. Little bit of a price premium on the warrior and it is a bit heavier I believe but both look pretty good for the trip up there.

I haven't been for a ride in either as yet - my descision so far is pretty well based on layout and room, but I reckon the Blue fin will probably ride slightly better but I dont reckon there would be much in it to be honest.

I know I am bloody jealous of your trip :)

burleygu
31-12-2009, 09:32 AM
ay kondo i have previously owned a blue fin viking 4.75 with a 40 3cyl merc on the back and i will tell you now they can handle some horrible seas. the viking hull is basically the same as the warrioer except the warrior is deckd out with more luxuries.
i havnt lookd at the sea jay territories myself so might be worth a look. another good contender is the stessco 465 tornado i think its calld on its website. or any of the rv range they are standard with rod lockers casting decks anchor wells and rails havnt yet got a price on any as alot of places still seem to be closed until the new year

burleygu
31-12-2009, 09:49 AM
DAMMIT KONDO! youve made me want a warrior now lol!

poppers81
31-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Burleygu,
mate i went up that way in august for 4 weeks and set up camp at mapoon. I towed my 4.4 quinnie dory and my cuz took a little booker car topper.. myboat had a 35 johnno on and my cuz a little 15.. we went e verywhere and i mean everywhere... up the wenlock the dulcie and the janie by boat... AS you know the bay is HECTIC when the weather and tide fights and my cuz almost had a bit of a incident in his coming back from the skardon (camped up there for 2 days bloody big crocs) is some less then ideal swell.. In saying that he scored a heap more barra then we could at the time cause he had the ability to drag his tinnie along sandflats and the like. good up there now...when iwas there army where doing the roads up... fun fun fun trip...have a look at even staying at the janie end of the beach... decent boat ramp at hte turtle camp and agood little creek to fish... any more question mate just ask...

burleygu
31-12-2009, 08:44 PM
thanx poppers weve been up to mappon 2 times already. im keen to have abit of a play in the janie as we never gave it a try previous. this time im towing my boat well when i get a boat towing it up on a trailer so i can choose to launch down the wenlock abit further or drive down to the janie with the boat on the back if the weather turns bad. should allow for a few more options. am really looking forward to the trip. just still scratching my head over what hull to buy.. and how much i should spend. lol

mudrunner
31-12-2009, 08:49 PM
dummy...its qld...you take XXXX tinnies!!!!!

Kondo 1
31-12-2009, 10:19 PM
DAMMIT KONDO! youve made me want a warrior now lol!

haha burley - u and me both!

burleygu
01-01-2010, 01:18 AM
first thing monday kondo i will be ringing up getting sum prices on the warrior.....

lets see how scared i get

GAD
02-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi ,
The tinnie the bigger the better , it pounds like heck when she is up but more importantly , the trailer is a point I would look at , seen a lot of broken trailers and sad fishermen on the side of the road up there , trying to get the old rusted out trailer to get to weipa , laura , Coen , or where ever they can get to , puntured hulls becuase rollers dent and bend tin if they are too tightly strapped , and fibreglass it just wears holes in , with the corregation and bull dust creeping in to the small gaps , much better to have slide rails to carry the boat over that . Rock and stone chips and dents can and do puncture hulls .
Then there is My favourite , broken axles , my favourite because I have broken two axles on my trailer [ should have seen the tree branches and wire we used to get it home] and bent another all up the cape , though admittedly the roads are a lot better now and Weipa is able to get or fix nearly every thing now , it is some thing to take in to account .
Now I ain't trying to put you off because it great fishing up there , just trying to point out the forgotten part of the preparation in some peoples trips , I mean we all get the rods , reels and fishing gear ready , service the motor and spend a shite load on lures that will or won't work but look great in your lure box , service the truck , get the tent and swag ready , food sorted , genny and fridge working fine.
But the trailer most don't give to much thought too , just greasing the bearing buddies is not enough , take the grease gun with you and top it up every so often , make sure you have a least one spare for the trailer , and take you time because there are to many idiots are on the road now so get there safe and don't let them ruin your trip.

Greg

Dan5
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
first thing monday kondo i will be ringing up getting sum prices on the warrior.....

lets see how scared i get

When i got mine (Warrior) 2 1/2 years ago in Cairns from Mitchell's marine it was $8000 on the knocker.........Hull price only.....The Viking was about $6500 from memory........

Dan

burleygu
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
gad ive fully rebuilt my trailer from top to bottom new everything has been gusseted and re dip in gal! basically brand new trailer..

dan was ur warrior painted when u bought it? im going to be pricing one without paint rod holders and anchor well so hopefully should be a lil cheaper if its around 8 grand i may just have to order it! lets hope

what size motor do you have on it are you happy with it aswell?

Dan5
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
gad ive fully rebuilt my trailer from top to bottom new everything has been gusseted and re dip in gal! basically brand new trailer..

dan was ur warrior painted when u bought it? im going to be pricing one without paint rod holders and anchor well so hopefully should be a lil cheaper if its around 8 grand i may just have to order it! lets hope

what size motor do you have on it are you happy with it aswell?

Yeah mate mine was painted.....I think all the warriors are painted from the factory.....could be wrong though.

I put a 60 4strk yammie on mine.

I don't think you would save much money by dropping a few of the lesser extras but it's worth a try i suppose.

I'm happy with mine it's been a good little boat,it's solid and well built for the price.....good welding, fully ribbed,bulkheaded instead of pissy framework, 3mm side decks,proper bowsprit with a roller etc.

There's not too many tinny's around built this solid in this size range unless you go custom really.......most of them are 2mm bottom 1.6mm sides and decks.

My only whinge really about the boat is that the pedastal seat bases they use are rubbish the underfloor fuel tank should be alot more forward and the timber floor is crap and needed replacing pretty much they day i got it home.

I've done a few good trips in it.....150ks open water down the NT coastline etc.....never felt unsafe or too small........it's a good cheap boat to run.

Dan,

smashed crabs
02-01-2010, 10:08 PM
mate have a look at a Max Truck by Stessle , i bought the 440 and a mate bought the 470, we both run 40hp on them and they both run really well , big tinnys for the bucks, loads of room.
my 440 is great in the rough but scary on my own with the 40hp, the 470 handles much better in the rougher stuff, i would of bought the 470 but because they are such a big tinny it would of made it too hard for me to crab up the tight creeks and drains.
Worth a look if you want a strong tinny with plenty of room

cheers

NIZ180
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
If money was no object surely one of the barcrusher XS hulls would be the ducks nuts.

burleygu
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
cheers for that dan. i only wana get rid of a few extras as they dont suit my needs paint will get destroyd towing it up the cape and the plastic anchorwell i do not like worst case i should be able to save myself 800 odd bucks. lets just hope there still about 8 grand lol

thanx smashed crabs ive never given a thought to look at the stessyl range! been lookin at alot of boats and some makes just seem to slip your mind.

niz180 unfortunately money comes into play i would love a barcrusher lovely shaped hulls..

Dan5
03-01-2010, 08:29 AM
If you have some time to look around maybe you could be lucky enough to find a secondhand Fisher 4x4 open tiller..........I wanted one of these origanally but never got any E-mail reply's from the guy's at Fisher unfortunatly...

They would be the duck's nut's in the size your looking at.

Dan

smashed crabs
03-01-2010, 09:07 AM
cheers for that dan. i only wana get rid of a few extras as they dont suit my needs paint will get destroyd towing it up the cape and the plastic anchorwell i do not like worst case i should be able to save myself 800 odd bucks. lets just hope there still about 8 grand lol

thanx smashed crabs ive never given a thought to look at the stessyl range! been lookin at alot of boats and some makes just seem to slip your mind.

niz180 unfortunately money comes into play i would love a barcrusher lovely shaped hulls..

I paid $8,500 for boat and trailer,my 440 has a 2.05m beam , high sides , 3mm bottom and 3mm sides

burleygu
03-01-2010, 09:27 AM
hey dan already priced a fisher 460 tiller there 5 minutes from my place so it was first port of call they quoted me around $12000 for the bare hull no extras. so once weighed up it was going to turn out abit costly althought they retain there value and build quality is superb! around 8 grand was going to be my limit cus after that i still have to buy a new sounder/chartplotter combo and a few other neccesitys. the warrior is now probably at the top of my list dependant on price. i use to own a 4.75 viking and i only had a 40 3cyl merc on it and it handled some horrible seas off mooloolaba. tommorow will sort alot out when i can actually talk to some ppl about pricing. i was surprised how many places wernt open between xmas and new years

Chimo
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi burleygu

These are, IMHO, a great hull and would eat the conditions you want to use it in. They are not all that heavy either. Hornet Rider on here has one and he had Pedrodepacus do some work on it not long ago so there are two more people to talk to. It has extras that you could keep or flog so the price could be even more suitable. Just a thought for you to consider. By the way its not my boat, just saw the add and as i know the boats I thought I'd pass it on for what its worth. Sounds like a great trip too.

Cheers
Chimo

burleygu
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
alright guys been doing some pricing..
brooker 450 seaman $4290
seajay 4.55 magnum $4900
allycraft 4.5 tank $6680
makocraft 4.4 truck $7000
horizon 4.45 gulf $ 6800
blue fin4.5 warrior $10700
blue fin 4.5 viking $6300
blue fin 4.75 viking $6700

i did price a few more like the brooker 500 discovery and a few lesser known brands. however i had my mind set on the 4.5 blue fin warrior but im going to get a 4.75 blue fin viking and option it myself the warrior is a viking hull with extras and they seem to think that it has $4400 worth of extras.. but i think the viking is best value for my dollar.

Flex
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Well,
The bigger the better really. But you do have to compromise onsize v Fuel usage and especially weight. if you gotta do dodgy launches off creek banks, or drag a boat across a bar you dont want a 5m plate with a 100hp on the back. But when your 20km offshore you do:)

Also, if your chasing the tide all week, you dont wanna worry about dragging your flash new plate boat with super duper 4 stroke across fud flats/rocks etc either. I think your average unpainted tinny with a simply 2 stroke is the way to go.

So, ask yourself where your taking it? and how many are fishing out of it?

I have been going up cape york for years and years. My setup is ideal IMO, i take in the biggest size boat i can for the amount of fuel we carry and road conditions.

I run a 07, 4.55m seajay SP model- with 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke.

But honestly any boat in the 4.5-4.75m range is fine. as they allow you to go offshore aswell as up creeks, can be manhandled by 2-3 people(which you may need to do) and they run all day on average of 20litres.

Im selling mine if your interested. As im buying a big glass boat shortly:)

burleygu
09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
hey flex thanx for that mate i have a 50 2 stroker so just going a big solid unpainted tinny would take my 5.2 formosa but its painted and would get destroyd! so i think ive settled with a viking for now