PDA

View Full Version : running two sounders

Kleyny
29-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I just brought a little cuda to put on the Bow Mount.

Now the question is should i turn my main sounder off whilst flicking off the front?

I dont want the two mixing signals if thats possible.

My boat is 4.6m if this makes a difference.

thanks

neil

cam0511
30-12-2009, 03:00 AM
G'day Neil,

I am no expert on the subject but I also run two sounders on my 4.45 Hornet. I tend to turn the main sounder off and only run the one mounted on my electric when flicking lures, particularly when fishing impoundments. I mainly do this to reduce the "ping" from running two sounders in the hope that this will increase the stealth factor and reduce the likelihood of my boat sounding like something from the Hunt For Red October!!

Besides that I am unable to see the main sounder from my position on the front casting deck when throwing lures, so turning off the main sounder also reduces the drain on my battery, although I suspect that this would be minimal in any case.

Hope this helps.

Cam.

TimiBoy
30-12-2009, 05:48 AM
I run two - a .6 kW HB, and a 2 kW Furuno. No interference at all, and the transducers are only a couple of feet apart.

Cheers,

Tim

finga
30-12-2009, 06:32 AM
If the sounders operate at different frequencies then no trouble to leave both on.
If you have 2 sounders the same then they will interfere with each other.

NEWBY
30-12-2009, 07:29 AM
According to LOWRANCE, they only interfere with each other if they are the same frequency...I have not experienced this myself and run 3 sounders. All trnasducers are/were within 1.5 metres of eacc other. 1 x Koden 83kw?(I think) 600w transducer 1 x Lowrance HDS 10 with 1kw Transducer (Dont even ask about this) and a Navman 6600 with 600w transducer. I run navman and lowrance at 200 most of the time. Never a problem and I have tried turning one off to see if any difference...None

leelee
30-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I run 2 Lowrance units on my boat and they run the eact same transducer.

You get bot of interference but if you swap to say a 83khz and have on e on 200khz then the interference is not noticable.

If you are using different manufacturers then you should be right unless you they share the same transducer eg Eagle and Lowrance.

Cheers

Lee

Kleyny
30-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I run 2 Lowrance units on my boat and they run the eact same transducer.

You get bot of interference but if you swap to say a 83khz and have on e on 200khz then the interference is not noticable.

If you are using different manufacturers then you should be right unless you they share the same transducer eg Eagle and Lowrance.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

They are both eagles, so to be on the safe side i think i will be turning one off whilst using the other.

neil