PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Fishelite 480 GPS

cy1301
29-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi guys, bought a Eagle Fishelite 480 from the USA. It does not have Australia map. *duh* Now can someone please enlighten me as what the difference between a Gold Navionics Map and a NAUTICPATH NAVIONICS GPS CHART SD CARD AUS/NZ. The Nauticpath one is $198 on ebay and the Gold one is double the price. Is it worth paying that much more?? Its a freaking map!! Rip offs!!! Non the less, I still need it. *sigh*

Moonlighter
29-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I have an earlier version Nauticpath chart (approx 2007) and have been very happy using it around the SEQ and northern NSW area - pretty good detail and accuracy. The only prob has been the tidal info, which for some reason is way, way out and basically useless and Eagle hasn't been overly keen to do anything about it....

I run it in an Eagle Seacharter 500cdf I brought in from the US of A and it goes great otherwise. Fast, good depth contours but mapping not quite as extensive in its detail coverage as the Navionics (eg it loses detail/beacons around the Jumpinpin pin area), but OK for the price IMO!

The description on E-bay isn't correct - they are not a Nauticpath Navionics chart, just Nauticpath. Navionics is a separate brand altogether. Nauticpath I think is an "in-house" Lowrance/Eagle brand, or is closely affiliated in some way at least.

I'm waiting until mid 2010 when the updated Navionics chart comes out (supposedly) with the 2009 Moreton Bay Marine Park zones included. My rationale is why buy a new card now when the old one will do and I would only have to cough up for an upgraded version in 6 months time.

I will check to find out if the Nauticpath charts are being updated to include these new zones and if they are, I would seriously consider buying a new Nauticpath one if the price diff remains the same! Otherwise will have to get the Navionics.

If you have to buy now, suggest you ask the price of upgrading when the new version comes out with the latest marine park zones in your area included.

Cheers

ML

googarra
29-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi, I recently purchased a Nauticapath off ebay for $198 dollars for a Lowrance HDS 8. I already have a Navionics Gold card running in a Humminbird Matrix 97 but Lowrance have blocked their GPS/sounders from running a Radar overlay on the chart if you do not use one of their cards (The overlay button is greyed out) so I was hamstrung to buy it or lose this capability

I liked the Humminbird so much that I could not part with it but wanted Broadband radar with map overlay so I have both sounder/plotters side by side and can compare the charts while offshore.

Personally I think the Nauticapath is a better chart but there is very little difference other than colour. Both have almost matching detail.

I would check if your Eagle is capable of using the Nauticapath as I know they will not work in Humminbird, but not area of expertise

Cheers

cy1301
29-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys, I will check it out ..... hhmmm .... choices ...

MyEscape
30-12-2009, 06:29 AM
The Gold navonics has charts of areas from Cape yorke to Tasmania

Worth the dollars if you travel around

Steve

Stik-ugly
31-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I have nauticpath card Aust/NZ in my fish elite 480 and I am quite happy with it no problems, has good detail . I can't comment on the goldcard though

cy1301
01-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Bought the nauticpath card. Hopefully it arrives soon ....

John Buoy
01-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I have had both and
Navionics Gold has way more detail than Nauticpath.

Ch Smith Marine selling Nauticpath cheap currently

http://www.chsmith.com.au/cgi-bin/hex4.pl?Search=nauticpath&Show=Full+Results&Type=global

Regards Frank

cy1301
01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Frank, I wish you told me earlier. Bought it for $198. *ouch*

John Buoy
01-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Sorry mate would have if i'd known.

Regards Frank

Moonlighter
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi guys

Did some checking and Lowrance and Eagle Australia both list the Nauticpath charts as "legacy" products on their website, implying that they are no longer made.

So I checked via email with CH Smith and they confirmed that Nauticpath Aust charts have now been discontinued, so no future updates and no new Aust versions planned. Oh well.

So Navionics it will be in future.

Cheers

ML