PDA

View Full Version : Pack of Cobe's

Angla
29-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Just my observations on a day where I needed to get out of the house.

A quick trip yesterday to Wide Caloundra. Launched at midday and found the going be be quite good with a quick trip from Scarborough to the bottom of Bribie doing 30 Knotts then was slowed to about 16 knotts for the rest of the trip out. There were no signs of birds at all for the trip out.

Dropped a couple of bottom bashers with pillies and a nuke chook. After a couple of drifts and no takers I was half way through a drift with all the baits on the bottom when a pack of about 25 Cobes came up to the back of the boat. Look as you may, it is a furious hand that tried to wind a bait up from 50 metres down.

I would say they ranged from 7 to 15 kilos and looked quite ordinary as they just cruised on by with little regard for being spotted.

I kept fishing the bottom for a while longer and was going to change to trolling when the stomach turned over a little so I found that to be the sign that it was a little more uncomfortable out there and turned for home. Back at the ramp by 5 and home at 6.

If you are thinking of going out, I would say it is workable in the bay but less out wider. Trolling would be the suggestion.

Cheers
Chris

trueblue
29-12-2009, 09:20 AM
G'day Chris

I have seen them school on the serface before as well, and they wouldn't touch anything at all

weird

good to see though

cheers

Mick

eugah
29-12-2009, 09:40 AM
We were out from Townsville just over a week ago & my son caught one, with 5 others following him to the surface.

Adrian

frogfuzz
29-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Chris

Last time I was out off Cal Wide I had 2 come up the back of the boat. I threw out a pilly in the mist of a (smelly) berley trial and ended up getting busted up by both (was foolish and used a light raider rod with a small egg beater - but it was fun all the same!)

jtpython
29-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Least ya tried Chris.
Seen massive bunches of them cruising around o0n the bottom of the tide at times just content in lazying around. And other times will frenzy any bait behind the boat but on an average where there's one there is all ways his mate.
Weather is ordinary here at moment looks okay for weekend thou fingers crossed. Am looking at a camp over tomorro night around the islands if this rain will diappear for a bit
JT

DALEPRICE
29-12-2009, 02:51 PM
well done chris,
you wont find out sitting at home i guess hey.
cheers dale

Angla
29-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Chris

Last time I was out off Cal Wide I had 2 come up the back of the boat. I threw out a pilly in the mist of a (smelly) berley trial and ended up getting busted up by both (was foolish and used a light raider rod with a small egg beater - but it was fun all the same!)

Thats funny. I brought up the soft plastic first because of the fast retrieve. A 6 kilo outfit with a little shimano 4000 and 6 kilo braid. I did think that it would be a good fight if I hooked one.

Cheers
Chris

Angla
29-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Least ya tried Chris.
Seen massive bunches of them cruising around o0n the bottom of the tide at times just content in lazying around. And other times will frenzy any bait behind the boat but on an average where there's one there is all ways his mate.
Weather is ordinary here at moment looks okay for weekend thou fingers crossed. Am looking at a camp over tomorro night around the islands if this rain will diappear for a bit
JT

I don't think I have seen one solo yet. They always appear to have mates.

Good luck if you get out

Cheers
Chris

jtpython
29-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Praying to the weather gods mate Praying
JT