PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Bag at John Brewer Reef

levinge
29-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Made some quick arrangements with Ronnien to fish the reef.

All sorted we hit the ramp at 5am for an early start. The carpark was already getting full, with a number of boats still rigging and readying for a launch.
We wait our turn and then drop the boat in and away we go. Looking out to sea, all we could see was a wall of dark grey, this is going to be ugly. The prediction for the day was E'erly's with a moderate swell. Leaving the shelter of the rock wall Ron and I steer in the direction of West Point to the North and away from the storm front (all the other boats headed straight out, poor bastards). 15 minutes later we are rounding West Point with cloudy skies above, but no rain clouds.

Steering NE we head out to John Brewer. We arrive about 7:15am after chasing some Tuna without any luck. We anchor on a spot I fished a few weeks earlier and drop down the baits. 10 minutes into the fishing and I am onto a fish, 1 Trout into the esky, 15 minutes later his mate comes up. This is looking good, well it slowed down a little after that. Talking to Ron, I mentioned he might want to put out a pillie under a balloon (Good Call!!!). Ron rigs and sends the pillie out the back and in less than 10 minutes he is onto a nice spaniard. 5 minutes of a solid fight and his Spaniard is in the boat (Ron lost 4 more to bumped hooks during the day). Flesh baits were hard to find on arrival, but we managed to raise enough Fusiliers throughout the day to keep the bait board busy.

We moved a few times with really good country and visibility of 18 metres under us, but the fishing was slow and hard work, with Ron bringing up 1 more nice trout. We were a little frustrated at seeing no more Trout, Reds or Spangles taking the baits. We did account for some nice pan size Moses Perch (biggest I have seen on the reef in some time). Over the course of the morning we managed 2 sharks, 3 remoras, numerous trigger fish and a dirty big catfish.

We also had a resident whale cruising past the boat for the hole day, closest run would have been about 25 metres from the boat, it could've been either a Minke Whale or a Fin Whale. He was about 7 to 8 metres in length and not frightened of the boats.

Over all, not a big catch, but a nice mixed bag and a good day on the water, we surmise that the Live Trout Boats had recently hit this reef as the structure we were fishing should've had good numbers of fish, but alot were devoid of good fish (18 metres out to 35 metres). We headed back to Townsville around 2:30pm as the winds were freshening and as usual Cleveland Bay was absolute crap yet again...

A good day and both of us were early to bed for a good sleep...

horseboy
29-12-2009, 09:43 AM
That reef seems to be a bit of a mecca for the whales. Just waiting to see whats happening for that trip in the mates boat will give you a buzz if its any good. I will be in Town until the 13th if you need a deckie in that time.

Wade

levinge
29-12-2009, 09:46 AM
No drams Wade, will let you know if I heading out. Keep and eye on the weather and you'll probably be receiving a text....

Scott nthQld
29-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Good day on the wate brett, pity the fish didn't really do it for you.

Try to stay out deeper than 30m, the live trout boats love the shallower stuff becasue they don't have to work so hard and that's where all the smaller just legal trout are (which get a higher price apparently, then the bigger ones we want to catch), also because they lose a lot less to barotrauma.

Ron was telling me about it last night, all about your little tiny creek size baits hahaha, remember big bait BIG fish, catch ahussar, take the whole side, plus the tail, your almost garuanteed a big trout or big red (depending on the country).

Still some nice fish to go in the pan, can't ask for more than that. Well done boys

jtpython
29-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Nice work boys and lovely mixed bag and quality quality fish
Got to love them trout
JT

levinge
29-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah I would've put bigger baits on, but I was rationing a little to stretch out the pillies, it took quite a while before we got our first flesh bait up in the boat...

Even out in the 30+ it was still very hard work to get anything productive, just one of those days I think!!

JT, the missus certainly does love the trout..

ronnien
29-12-2009, 03:14 PM
the fish were a bonus, just great to be out there again! (been to long).
thanks again brett. & trout for dinner tonight!!

ron.

Moffy
29-12-2009, 05:18 PM
This time of year that's about standard for trout fishing.... Still you got a nice mixed bag feed.

Cheers,

Moffy.

NorthC
29-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Brett, shame the fishing was slow but can be like that this time of year - spawning season just finished and hot northerlies.

The trout in the top left "lawn of death" is actually a cod - either coral cod (Cephalopholis miniatus) or tomato cod (Cephalopholis sonnerati) - bit hard to tell from the photo.

Unlikely Brewer has been hit by the live trout boys because yellow zoned reefs are a one dory reef and the vast majority of the live fleet are 4 plus dory licenced boats. I am the only commercial line (trout) fisher who has fished that reef in the last 7 years (that I know of), cause I am one of the very few left that work a single dory. Back when I fished fulltime and Brewer a lot more than I do these days, it was not uncommon to have 30plus rec boats running around. On these days I found it more productive to go as shallow as possible to get away from the deeper 20 to 40m that most of the Tsv rec fleet seem to prefer to fish.

Brewer is a reasonably consistently 25 trout / day reef - but you have to work hard. Your ten minutes before the first trout, well I wouldn't have caught that trout because I would have moved before then. You need to know what to look for, which it seems you do, but you also need to know when to move. Trout are like most other apex ambush predators - they spend alot of time being lazy and just because they are there and you drop a bait on them does not mean they are going to play the game and bite your bait (whatever secret hardbaits you might like to try). You need to keep moving to find that "good looking patch" that does actually hold some fired up fish willing to play rather than wasting time sitting on a good looking patch where they aren't. The best sign you have found the right patch is when the first bait for that hang results in a trout.

levinge
29-12-2009, 08:12 PM
North its actually a Six Spot Cod, chased it down this morning, had the bars on the body and it was a deep deep red, very delicate flesh.. Thanks for the info, we did move around, also lengthened the anchor rope every 10/15minutes to cover new areas on the string.

This is only the second time I have fished this reef and I am pretty happy with the results. As you say the fish can be stubborn, but I don't go out there to bag out, a couple of good feeds and I am happy. That's why I take mates out on the boat, makes the trips out easier on the wallet...

Missus also gives about 50 percent of the fillet away to friends and some of the oldies at her work... I don't mind, happy to hear the stories when she gets home of an evening...

NorthC
29-12-2009, 09:00 PM
No worries Brett, just your last paragraph seemed to suggest the poor fishing was due to live trout dories fishing the reef. I know that not to be the case, and wanted to offer some alternate reasoning.

Never heard of a six-spot cod, that's why we don't use common names in the fisheries research field - too bloody confusing!! If you are thinking it is a Epinephilus sexfasciatus (six bar cod), it may well be, but the head looks too high and steep for me - I'd hedge my bets on C. sonnerati.

levinge
29-12-2009, 11:21 PM
No worries mate..

cam0511
01-01-2010, 03:29 AM
G'Day Brett,

Nice mixed bag!! Making me jealous as hell over here, miles from any water.

Keep getting stuck into them and I look forward to catching up for a session when I get home. ;D

Cheers,

Cam.

levinge
01-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Cam, your on mate. see you when you get back to God's Country!!!!