PDA

View Full Version : Wavebreak Island

shrunken pojie
28-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking at going over to Wavebreak Island for a few nights. Can anyone tell me the best ramp to launch from and do you think it is safe to leave the car and trailer there?

Thanks,

Phill

Scalem
28-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Phil,

Do you mean camp on the island for a few nights? When are you planning to do that? Right now is a good time to go if you enjoy squeezing into tight spaces and making lots of friends with the local party animals... But liking a quiet camping experience and no crowds it's not somewhere I would go right now.

But if you are considering camping there once the new year and Christmas celebrations die down, I use the boat ramp alongside seaworld Nara which avoids the 6 knot go slow zone. It is literally 2 mins from Wavebreak Island.

Scalem

seastorm
28-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I use the boat ramp next to Seaworld, it has two ramps and a pontoon. The place also has flood lights, but like anywhere it is a risk and it only takes one scumbag to do damage.

Tritto
28-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I agree with Scalem, Don't bother camping on wavebreak at the moment until after new years eve. It is a haven for drunken fools coming over in tinnies and has been known to get quite violent in the past. If you are coming down to the Gold Coast to camp you would be better off to try some of the water front camp zones which also could be booked out, but are safer. Southport Caravan Park on the Broadwater or even better is Tallebudgera Caravan Park south of Burleigh. Cheers

3rd degree
28-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Drove past the Broadwater park today and it had the no vacancy sign up...

Tritto
28-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, thought it could be full.

shrunken pojie
28-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Stik-ugly
29-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Have you tried North or South Currigee camping areas on South Stradbroke, they may have vacancies I think they are run by the Gold Coast City Council.If you can get a spot ,you use to be able to let your boat and trailer parked at Runaway Bay Marina for a small fee.

dreemon
29-12-2009, 09:25 AM
We were there for 2 nights just before xmass and was very quiet, appart from our crew, ( 4 adults and 14 kiddies)

we were there last year to and had a great time and not to crowded, great place for the kids and great surf just outside at s straddie, or you can go the backside where there is a little cove to park your boat and less than 15 min walk accross to the beach, I think with this rain it would be uncrowded right now.

the kids made up a game that they get points for picking up rubbish and puting it in the bins, we left the area way cleaner than when we got there.! ! .

Stik-ugly
29-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Sorry guys I meant car and trailer.

Surething
29-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I just read in the Beacon to Beacon that Camping is not allowed on Wavebreak, obviously this is not enforced.

I have seen on several shows like Creek to Coast and Weekender, a quiet spot at Wavebreak with boats anchored in calm water. What side of Wavebreak is this on?

Does it depend on the weather?

ST

shrunken pojie
29-12-2009, 03:10 PM
ST, my camping there depends on the weather, thats for sure.

SCOTTYGC
29-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I just read in the Beacon to Beacon that Camping is not allowed on Wavebreak, obviously this is not enforced.

I have seen on several shows like Creek to Coast and Weekender, a quiet spot at Wavebreak with boats anchored in calm water. What side of Wavebreak is this on?

Does it depend on the weather?

ST

i guess it depends on the the wind

most boats are parked on the northen side for overnight stays ( i know i guys that pretty much lives there)

or the lagoon on the sth west corner is getting bigger due to the lack of dredging in the rest of the broadwater

good luck camping on wavebreak
no toliets or showers there and as said plenty of yahoos , not very family freindly

try nth or sth curagee ran by the council , i would try nth first as they have better mooring

best ramp would be grand hotel near the seafood shop two ramps and a pontoon
well lit at night but i think you take a risk anywhere overnight

good luck and happy new year

scotty

Mike Delisser
29-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I haven't stayed there for many years but the last time I did we had to keep all the food in the esky as the island had a large population of "RATS". And I hate "Rats".