PDA

View Full Version : Fitting aftermarket stereo

FNQCairns
28-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Just then almost finished fitting an aftermarket stereo to my wifes lancer, I have done this before a fair few times but never to one with factory fitted anti theft radio and whatever other antitheft do-dads.

The problem I am having is the factory 12 power feed (Yellow) now no longer feeds any power, is this because of the anti theft side of it all denying power because the computer does not recognise the stereo ...somehow??

or is my imagination out of control, have checked all fuses.

I can run dedicated power to the radio but would rather not as getting through the firewall is a right pain and it's nice to use the power already fitted.

Any advice welcome.

cheers fnq

Kero
28-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Why don't you take power from another 12V source that is switched via accessories on the ignition key.
You could take power (piggy back in parrallel) from the ciggy/12V socket cabling. That way the radio will only fire up when Accessories is switched from the key. This way no cabling has to come through the fire wall.

FNQCairns
28-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks Leigh for the reply but i worked it out, the bloody cars manual is wrong and so is the under hood fuse box key! never come across that before.

The fuse box shows the radio and the interior light are on separate fuses but in real life they are combined at the interior light 10A fuse spot and the "radio" 10 fuse is nothing but a dummy spare.

Sent me on a wild goose chase there for a while and even got my wife to double check everything I was seeing to verify.

A lesson learnt anyway I shouldn't have cut all the stereo wires in one go when I pulled the original stereo out.

Well at least i now know that if the radio goes of and the interior light will not turnon it's the fuse:).

Leigh i didn't want to do that because rarely the 40L Engel will be run from the cig lighter and it's wire is stupidly thin.

cheers fnq

Kero
29-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Glad to hear you got it going FNQ.

"ROCK 'N ROLL"

;D

NEWBY
30-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Just then almost finished fitting an aftermarket stereo to my wifes lancer, I have done this before a fair few times but never to one with factory fitted anti theft radio and whatever other antitheft do-dads.

The problem I am having is the factory 12 power feed (Yellow) now no longer feeds any power, is this because of the anti theft side of it all denying power because the computer does not recognise the stereo ...somehow??

or is my imagination out of control, have checked all fuses.

I can run dedicated power to the radio but would rather not as getting through the firewall is a right pain and it's nice to use the power already fitted.

Any advice welcome.

cheers fnq
Gees mate you dont learn do ya?;)
Stop F********G with the cars....lmao... I am still in the doghouse from the last post about the ABN number and car yards mae..::)

FNQ go to Autobarn or similar and get the adapter harness from Lancer Harness to new stereo. We use them often in our used cars and they are easy to use.bWe did a CH lancer a few weeks back. $25 for the thing from memory