PDA

View Full Version : Mid 2000s Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke - any good?

Scott79
27-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Just interested to hear if anyone has had experience with the above outboard, particularly interested in reliability and fuel consumption, and any other comments - noisy / quiet for what it is, known issues etc. Its for a 6m pressed tinny.

Thanks,
Scott.

two up
27-12-2009, 03:01 PM
If you are after a motor to go from point A to point B and not really troll you will find it hard to get any better. They will use more fuel than DI or 4strk will smell more and be a little louder than some but they are a great motor. Make sure it has been serviced at the correct intervals has a reasonable number of hours, get a compression test done, if checks out and reasonable in price go for it.

PADDLES
27-12-2009, 05:05 PM
yep, i reckon the yammies are the pick of the bunch for a no frills conventional 2 stroke. it will guzzle fuel, but it'll be simple and cheap.

Scott79
27-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys, I figured as much.

Two up, what are your thoughts on the trolling side of things? Any thirstier / more smell than any other 2 stroke (etecs/optimax/HPDI aside) ?
I would probably want to do a bit of mackeral trolling, 5-6 knots.

Thanks

two up
28-12-2009, 01:41 PM
It will be a fair bit thirstier than a DI or 4 strk. At these sort of speeds a DI/4strk would probably use 5-7 lph a 2 strk will probably be using 10-13 lph. 1 of the main disadvantages of two strokes is oiling of the spark plugs when you do a lot of slow trolling. on a friends cat with 2 x 150 johnsons 300-500 litres per day was not unusual for a full days gamefishing. The yammie will probably be on par with other 2 strk motors of this size. If you intend to do a lot of trolling look at a DI or 4 strk, if it is for the occasional troll a 2 strk will be fine.

wrxhoon
28-12-2009, 03:55 PM
I had a Yamaha V6 2 stroke in the late 80'S , very good engien and the first to vary oil injection direct in the carbies . The only problem, they used 2 fule pumps that were a little marginal, so they had to be 100% .

I had twin 90 Yammies on another boat 1990 models , again no probs at all .

I can tell you they both liked to use the fuel, just like any old school 2 stroke engine.

One thing I have found over the years though , Mercs are best as far as corrosion goes and Johnson Evirude next best, jap engines corrode more than both the Americans, I think they used better alloy.
Probably not the case in todays engines though, I think they Japs maybe as good now.