PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor battery charging

MyEscape
23-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Hello,

Am curious to know whether most people disconnect their electric motor from their battery prior to charging the battery.

The reason for my question is that previously I haven't been doing so and twice now I have had a problem with my Minn Kota for the same reason. A main board has had to be replaced (under warranty). THe problem has been that whilst I have had steering, the actual motor wouldn't work. No spinning of the prop.

Of course when I have charged the battery the foot control has always been disconnected so I would assume there has been no current going through the unit. But..?

Any ideas?

Steve

davo
24-12-2009, 07:26 AM
I would not thought it would make a difference. I turn my circuit breaker off and charge then. The big no no is running along with the petrol motor and leaving the electric down. The prop turns and causes the generator effect and back feeds the electronics.

leelee
24-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi mate.

I have a motorguide tour editon and I have an on board charger. Plug the charger into an outlet and the charging begins.

The problems you are experiencing are normal and BLA should have you back on track pretty quick.

On my previous boat I used to charge the battery but used to disconnect the motor from the battery but I had installed quick release terminals.

These should make it easy to disconnect the leccy for you -

http://www.biasboating.com.au/images/PRODUCT/large/439.jpg

Cheers

Lee

MyEscape
25-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Lee,

Thanks. I've had the motor repaired and no problems since, and repaired quickly too. Only 5 working days from Mackay. So cannot complaim about the service time.

Well the main thing it was back for Christmas as I have a week off.

Steve

Bear001
28-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I also had a similar problem with my minnkota & I ALWAYS disconnect prior to charging. (ctek charger). Hubby reckons I dont have to....but Im a bit anal about the boat....lol

(Had my minnkota back under warranty in 3 days to Rural North West NSW also - GREAT SERVICE!)

Tabs
31-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Have a read of this http://www.ansaqld.com.au/news/solution-for-minkota-bow-mount-electric-motor-foot-control-connectors/. Might not be a charging problem.
Cheers
Steve