PDA

View Full Version : 'Hoo 2, Vitamin Sea 0

Vitamin Sea
23-12-2009, 04:57 PM
G'Day

Finally made the decision today to go and chase the target species for this year, wahoo, never caught one before.

Left Many about 5.20 am and proceeded to the area of choice in the northern bay, 65 k's away, good run up, travelled at 60 odd k's most of the way, usual crappy bit around Comby and the Kianga chanel.

Lures in the drink at 6.30, 6.32 short corner starts screaming, sh%t, that was quick:o, quickly accelerate the boat (read that somewhere) young fella grabs the rod, next second long corner goes off:o, this is ok:P. Unfortunatly the rod I'm holding goes slack, wind in, hmmm, broke off above double>:(.

Matty is having fun with his fish and gets it to the boat, I have gaff in hand when the fish goes for a final lunge beside the boat, bye, bye fish, line broke above wire trace, neither of us are terribly happy at this stage, I may have uttered a word or 2 in displeasure:-X

Anyway, did not get another touch all morning, left about 10.30 and drove through the middle of a storm off moreton, don't like lightning around when I'm in a boat.

Learnt a few lessons today, particulary on drag setting.

If anyone catches 2 'Hoo with nice and shiny dentures, please return them to there rightful owner;D

PS: gee they are nice looking fish when they are all lit up.

Next time
Cheers

Bill

siegfried
23-12-2009, 05:21 PM
OnyaBill, BTW fullas theres a bloke on here looking for Hoo frames for research if any of youse are willing to help..unfortunately I have lost his details:(

sleepygreg
24-12-2009, 12:59 AM
his nick is Apache J. Mitch is real keen to get wahoo frames, If you cant contact him, PM myself or Captain Rednut, and we can give you his details. Just make sure the frames include the intact Gut...as otherwise they arent of major value to him. (sorry Jim dumped you in this one...but im sure you would help out).

Greg

MEGA'bite
24-12-2009, 04:00 AM
at least you got out there bill, not like some of us with boats sitting in our front yards trying to fit them out with all that gear

merry xmas
cheers adrian

death_ship
24-12-2009, 10:30 AM
nice one Bill, better back the old drags off a bit, especially at the boat or check your line. were you using the lures we spoke about? nearly broke your hoodoo

Vitamin Sea
24-12-2009, 01:49 PM
nice one Bill, better back the old drags off a bit, especially at the boat or check your line. were you using the lures we spoke about? nearly broke your hoodoo

Hey Brett

Yep, the short corner had one on, Bonito colour 2.5m +, long corner had a Blue Pillie deep runner in the blue/chrome.

Definatly had to much drag on, will get some scales to set them up right, thought you may have been out there, gave you a quick call on the radio, heard Jimmy.

Next time

Talk soon
Cheers

MJ-Apache
24-12-2009, 07:18 PM
G'day Guys

Thanks for the post Greg, yeah I'm still chasing as many wahoo frames as I can get over the next two years for my PhD project. If you do catch one over the holiday period please keep the full frame (with gut intact) in a bag in your freezer, record the date and location it was caught, and contact me ASAP to arrange pickup. You can PM me on here, send an email to mitchell.zischke@csiro.au, or give me a buzz on 0419 715 912.

Cheers
Mitch

Searaider 2
25-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Geday Bill ,
Bad luck in not boating One , but it sounds like you getting close to getting that first one .

DALEPRICE
26-12-2009, 05:08 PM
well done bill, sounds like a couple heart in mouth moments.
I heard on the grape vine that you got out and actually released the fish
as a gift to the fish gods for the upcomming 2010 season.......lol

top stuff, much boat traffic??
cheers dale

Vitamin Sea
26-12-2009, 06:22 PM
well done bill, sounds like a couple heart in mouth moments.
I heard on the grape vine that you got out and actually released the fish
as a gift to the fish gods for the upcomming 2010 season.......lol

top stuff, much boat traffic??
cheers dale

;D;D;D

There was 7 boats when we got there Dale, quite a few more turned up as the morning went on, a lot were fishing the bottom though.

Cheers

Bill

Vitamin Sea
26-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Geday Bill ,
Bad luck in not boating One , but it sounds like you getting close to getting that first one .

Next time Pete;)

captain rednut
27-12-2009, 10:24 AM
hi bill
the hoo can be touchy at times? and dont you hate it when another one bites your line off whilst hooked up?? its been too busy at the hoo spot lately so ive been trolling for my favourite species (billfish) and not catching as many as i would normally this time of the year! anyway just getting the boat ready now for the good weather on tuesday, im going to fish for four days and make the most of it! ill keep an ear out for you. and i hope to bring some hoo back for mitch.
cheers jim. and thanks greg for the recomendation. lol