PDA

View Full Version : Xmas seafood smorgasboard on"Alexander"

dayoo
23-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Headed out from Mooloolaba early yesterday morning on super platey "Alexander" with usual crew of 4 on board.

The seas were glassed out so the big boy was given its head and the twin 250 suzukis were humming along at 40 knots. I fell asleep on my bean bag in the back corner of the boat.

Arrived at first snapper mark just after sun up and I boated first two snapps within minutes and then nothing. Headed up to a reef we call tiger shark reef and dropped anchor on a good show but bloody current was running about 2 knots. We changed over from snood rigs to paternosters with 12oz droppers.
The parrot were coming in at a steady rate mixed with a few snapper, gold spot wrasse and moses perch as well as a plague of just under sized pearlies.

Within an hour the reef security guard (aka 4metre tiger shark) made an appearance when it followed up a decent sized parrot. The current started to drop off so I switched back to my light outfit with a 8 ball sinker. I was hit half way down by a decent snapper which peeled off some line with drag set at 4kg. About half way up the tiger shark grabbed my snapper and took off, I reset the lever drag to about 8kg but three of us couldn't get the big buggar to the surface. The 30lb line snapped with only about 20 metres left on the spool out of the original 350metres. Buggar!!!!

The fish went off the bite so we moved 7ks to out favourite snapper mark and anchored on a good show. The current now was non existant so we used snood rigs and small sinkers as per the pic attached. It was slow at first and I foolishly requested a move but the skipper, Pepi was right in staying as the bite improved and over the next two hours snapper and a good 4kg pearlie were boated.

At about 2pm we were getting worried about the storm clouds on the horizon and decided to head in early with a good mixed bag of 47 fish. As we moved closer to Mooloolaba we could see lightning and the seas were getting very choppy. Nearing the boat ramp it started to rain, lucky, lucky as we had thoughts of going up with the boat if a lightning bolt struck us. After a change of undies we got stuck into two large pizzas then headed back to Brissy.

Cheers
Barry

Benno1
23-12-2009, 12:01 PM
You lucky bugger Barry!!!...perfect day for it as well...a well timed re-stock for Christmas. That parrot is a cracker!!!
Thanks for all the top shelf reports and piccies...all the best to you and yours this Chrissy mate...followed by a happy and prosperous New Year.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

indy
23-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice going barry we also had a shark down there which would have nailed atleast 10 good fish and we also had to move as the fish shut down on this spot.

Nice going once again
cheers pete...

popgun19
23-12-2009, 01:50 PM
well done Barry, nice mixed bag. looks like a great day had by all even the resident tiger.
Merry Christmas:)

Cheers!
Brian

-spiro-
23-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Bazza you sh!tting me off sitting right here looking at those conditions.

Good catch well done.

lethal098
23-12-2009, 08:27 PM
top stuff Barry, the weather certainly could not have been better. Cheers Lee

ooglie74
23-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Go the bean bag barry got to love them.
You proboably would have fallen asleep on the floor without it in those conditions.
Great catch guys.

Cheers Troy

Damned67
23-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Awesome fish and report there Barry!

As an aside, I'd also like to thank you for helping out my son, Tristan. It's greatly appreciated! We'd love to take you up on your offer of showing me how to pour the jigheads.... but on one condition: you let me know what you drink, so that I can bring you a carton/bottle of your favourite booze as a hearty 'thank you'!

Cheers!
Jason

MEGA'bite
24-12-2009, 04:39 AM
thanks for the report barry marry xmas to you and your family
cheers adrian

TimiBoy
24-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks Baz. Merry Christmas Young Fella!

Cheers,

Tim

craigie
24-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Barry,

Great catch of fish as we have come to expect !

Hope you put the new undies order into Santa !!

Merry Christmas mate, I'm going for a Christmas drink this afternoon with a few Titles Office mates. You've caught a lot of fish since you were in those 4 walls !!

Regards
Craigie.

Dean1
25-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Gee what great conditions to fish in Bazza their the trips that make it all seem so worth it with a great feed to show! Bet those Zukes were hummin ;) Have a gr8 Xmas and New Year.

Catch ya mate,

Deano..

Fishing_Freddy
26-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Great report as usual, looks like there will some nice fillets for the freezer.
well done
Ken:beer: