PDA

View Full Version : Vhf Problems

indy
23-12-2009, 09:05 AM
G'day

I bought a new vhf about two months ago and i seem to be having problems with it being that my output is ok but when people go to talk back to me i cant here them. I bought a good vhf being a icom brand suppose to be one of the best but so far very disappointed.

Do i go buy a new aerial and try that or just take it to someone that knows about vhf's like a radio tech or something

cheers pete...

FNQCairns
23-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds like a stupid question but how do you know they are talking to you??

cheers fnq

Wyoming
23-12-2009, 09:23 AM
If you are transmitting OK, then you certainly don't need to replace the antenna. Can you hear chatter on the channel (or other channels) rather than people simply not responding to your calls? If not, you have your squelch turned up too high.

indy
23-12-2009, 09:59 AM
FNQ

I was fishing over the last couple of days with another boat and he was talking to a friend of ours that was some distance away clearly, and he could here me but i could not here him. The guy that was fishing near me said i was scratchy but he could here me and he told me that our friend could here me but i defeniatly couldn't here him responding

wyoming

the squelch is all good and i can here other people but no where near as many as i should, with the old vhf i could here people all day long now only a handfull a day

FNQCairns
23-12-2009, 01:42 PM
i wrote are reply but it disappeared, didn't say anything incitefull anyway but will repeat - if it where me i would consider swapping out the aerial and/or mic if you can do that without cost as a test, like hooking it up to another boat for the aerial, dunno if your mic is removable.

Sounds like it's time for a service agent or a new one even considering the cost of parts and labour in this country, I have 2 icoms and i don't think the rf is adjustable in any user way except by the last step which is simply volume and you have that covered.

VHF is too important to to have it working constantly.

good luck

cheers fnq

lethal098
23-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Pete, if you need to try an aerial let me know, i have a new 2.4 m aerial that i have not yet fitted to the boat so you are more than welcome to try that first.

did you change the aerial when you got the new radio??
cheers Lee

indy
24-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Lee i ended up buying one yesterday so i just need to test it out. I called redcliffe coast guard from my house and he said i am getting 5/5 so thats good so far i tryed to test it with spiro yesterday but he didn't get back to me must have forgot. Thanks for the offer. Ps i have called coastguard redcliffe with the old aerial and they did get me also but not sure what rating it was.

Have you been getting out for a fish

cheers pete...

lethal098
24-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Pete, ah good stuff, thought it might have been the aerial, nah mate havent had a chance to fish, weekend weather sucks and my boat still in rebuild process, was hoping sunday monday with my mates 7.4m boat i have the use of but the weather looking crap. Let me know if you are chasing a deckie i would be keen.

Oh you are a fridgy arent you??

cheers Lee

indy
25-12-2009, 07:43 AM
G'day lee still no joy with the vhf i put the new aerial in $100 later and still the same problem will have to take the unit back and get them to have a look at it.

Do you have a vhf i could try out of my boat just to elimanate any other problem that there may be before i send it off, that way i could call chris again and see if it is just my unit.

No i am not a fridgy, i am a sheetmetal worker but i install airconditioning units/ductwork kitchen hoods etc.

Might have a spare spot if i get out of christmas break will let you no.
Pm me your mobile no.

lethal098
25-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Pete, yeah mate i have 2 of them here you are more than welcome to try,

bugger i need an air con guy to service my split systems at home.

will pm you number, i will be home most of the weekend so let me know if you want to try radio.

cheers Lee

Willo
30-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Indy
I bought a Icom from the US and all was good untill I was having trouble talkin to people a long way out on some channels 77 76 78 .Noticed that were locked on the low power setting and couold not unlock to a higher power setting .So then I read the instructions ::) seems they have 3 preprogramed channel .....USA...Canadia..International. to change to international just press the up and down button on the VHF unit togetther and you can choose U is USA ..C canida ..I international
I changed to international and it unlocked all the low powered channels to high power
So might be worth a try
Willo

indy
30-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks willo will give that a try tomorrow let you no how i go

cheers pete...

indy
31-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Willo i think you have solved the problem tested it with a mate and all good land based so will have to test it next time i am on the open water, thanks for your post.

cheers pete...

captain rednut
31-12-2009, 06:17 PM
hi indy willo is correct i have fixed this problem on several boats i service when they mention they cant receive properly i adjust the frequency as willo suggested and they are all now working! i heard you today getting your radio check and you were clear transmitting at bribie. all icoms must have the letter (Int) on the screen at all times!.
cheers jim

indy
01-01-2010, 07:09 AM
yeah jim tryed a few different channels yesterday and all was coming back really clear, pity the guy i was talking to from icom the other day couldn't tell me that would have solved alot of stuffing around and money.

cheers pete...