PDA

View Full Version : kids and liftjackets.

Brenno
22-12-2009, 09:38 AM
hi all

hope you all have a great time over the christmas break and catch plenty of fish:D .

my question is, the wife and i will be heading to Burrum heads on boxing day. the wife has invited the neightbour n her 3 kids up to for a few days, the kids are just getting into fishing, n while i know every child under the age of 12 must wear a life jacket while not at ancher, i have one PDF1 vest with the collar that will fit the 10 n 7 yr olds but what i would like to know is are the cheap square jackets that come with the boat be accptable for the 4 yr old to wear?

many thanks

Mark

finga
22-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Look at the weight rating on them matey.
If I remember they're meant for 40kg plus.
If the kids fall into the weight rating then that'll do.
Ask about here as someone might be able to lend a few jackets that will fit better.

And enjoy the break :)

Brenno
22-12-2009, 03:16 PM
thanks finga, think the 10 and 7 yr olds are over that weight but the little is in doubt.

so dose any one live on the west side of Brisbane n have a lift jacket that i could borrow or buy off them.

it will be the little mans first time out in a boat so i want to make it enjoyable for him.

Thanks Mark

finga
22-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Mate, I had a look and most of the cheapies have a weight limit of 60kg which rules out most kids.

Hell Boy
22-12-2009, 03:53 PM
as for kids life jackets they are pricey, and they grow out them so fast. And it depends on how much you like the neighbours kids;) if they are quiet and well mannered then all means find them a life jacket, if they are noisy and rude kids you don't need a life jacket::) LOL

FrogBat
22-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Please select the appropriate jacket for the child.
The jackets have a weight range which best suits the child.

stevej
22-12-2009, 06:30 PM
In order to comply with NSW requirements, all
lifejackets must be ‘approved’, and ‘appropriate’.

if the jacket doesnt fit them properly id say it would be deemed to be in apropriate

your the skipper its on you unfortunately to comply, and its no just weight to consider if they dont fit properly they could drown in the thing meant to save them

Knotpretty
22-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Look on ebay everyday one will come up. Merry Xmas

Damned67
22-12-2009, 10:19 PM
You could always ask the neighbour to buy one or two for her kids (or go halves with you)... Could use the excuse that it'll help facilitate more trips in the future...?

Of course, $$$ can be tight at this time of year.
If I hadn't already been roped into taking friends and their kids out all over the xmas break, I'd be happy to lend you mine.

Zooter
23-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Mate i have got some of ET'S range cheap at Big W, under $50!!

$38 i think it actually was a while back, check out if they any specials going,

enjoy ur holiday and stay safe,
regards,
zut

Sea-Dog
23-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Hey Mark,

We are heading to Hillcrest at Burrum from the 11th of Jan, so it may be a bit too late.

I do have some smaller jackets that my kids have outgrown that suit 12 - 25 Kg.

If you're interested, I could bring them with us.

Cheers, Ross.