PDA

View Full Version : Water Police Get Power To Confiscate Boats

mod5
22-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Water Police get power to confiscate boats

December 22, 2009 07:16am

FIRST it was hoon drivers that had their cars confiscated. Now, hoons in boats can be forced off the water.
In an Australian first, hoon boating laws introduced in Victoria this week give Water Police powers to keep dangerous boaters high and dry on land and ban their vessels for 48 hours.
As the summer holidays start, Water Police will patrol popular holiday destinations to make sure people were boating safely, Water Police Acting Senior Sergeant Andrew Gardner said.
Those areas included Geelong, Lake Eildon, East Gippsland, Wilsons Promontory, Western Port Bay, Queenscliff and Chelsea.
"The hoon road laws have seen police crack down on dangerous behaviour on our streets and now we are taking these messages to the water", Acting Snr Sgt Gardner said.
"We have found hoon behaviour in our bays and inland waterways to be a growing problem, with a small minority of people putting the wider community at risk."
Police will be able to place an embargo notice on a boat, ordering that it not be operated for a specified period, or that the offender not operate it.
Boat operators must obey laws regarding speed, the distance they must keep from swimmers and other craft, and having a blood alcohol level below .05 or zero for those aged under 21.
Other laws include requirements to carry personal flotation devices or life jackets, flares, two-way radios and fire extinguishers.
People should report to police if they saw hoon boaters behaving dangerously, Acting Snr Sgt Gardner said.

bennykenny
22-12-2009, 11:23 AM
well done to the victorian police, its about time, hope the Qld police pick this up aswell.

Kdog
22-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi mod5,
Mate I`m with bennykenny on this,cannot come quick enought I think.I especially keep away from the broadwater during the holiday periods.

Taroona
22-12-2009, 01:00 PM
We where at Tangalooma last weekend and the amount of fools who go through the boats at anchor at speeds greater than 6 knots is amazing. Same applies to Peel dickheads on jetski's

Marlin_Mike
22-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Bout time i say..bring it on, might calm down some of the jet ski dickheads as well

Mike

levinge
22-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Nice if it was Aust Wide, happy to see D---heads taken off the water...

FrogBat
22-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Why can't boating laws be the same across Australia?
It seems a lot of Governments are wasting time, money and effort by duplicating these necessary laws in each state (hopefully) when they only need to be made by one entity and be in effect across the nation.

tigermullet
22-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Why can't boating laws be the same across Australia?
It seems a lot of Governments are wasting time, money and effort by duplicating these necessary laws in each state (hopefully) when they only need to be made by one entity and be in effect across the nation.

I am glad that the law isn't the same across Australia. What if we went to the lowest common denominator and had Tasmanian rules? We'd be wearing life jackets at all times - even in the bath.

Might be ok for Tasmania but no good for warmer climates. Imagine having to wear the dinky little things in our summers.

Not too sure about the confiscation rules by Water Police. Why is it that many of us cheer whenever our freedom is eroded? I can understand the hooning rule for roads... but on the water? A little chaos and excitement makes life interesting at times.

Axl
22-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Yep more power to them in these cicumstances.

Axl
22-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Nice if it was Aust Wide, happy to see D---heads taken off the water...

I agree
More power to them in these circumstances.

Mister
22-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I am glad that the law isn't the same across Australia. What if we went to the lowest common denominator and had Tasmanian rules? We'd be wearing life jackets at all times - even in the bath.

Might be ok for Tasmania but no good for warmer climates. Imagine having to wear the dinky little things in our summers.

Not too sure about the confiscation rules by Water Police. Why is it that many of us cheer whenever our freedom is eroded? I can understand the hooning rule for roads... but on the water? A little chaos and excitement makes life interesting at times.

Doesn't take much chaos to also make you dead either! There's always one rotten apple in the bowl that likes excitment before being thrown out.

FNQCairns
22-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Devil will be in the detail and the quality of those above the law because of the law, just look at what tasers have bought us.

Wonder what discretion is available for an individual to own and use of these boats. one mans fright is another mans excitement.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=157754&highlight=tiller

cheers fnq

seatime
22-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah sounds great, but why not start with inforcing the multitude of rules that already exist by increasing the frequency and duration of patrols.

This looks like they're wanting a deterent to do the job for them... in the absence of physically getting out there. What's next - deputising rec boaties to do the enforcing for them?

The problem with state gov't depts seems to be repeated across the country - no money for staffing or resources ( except if it's an 'environmental' dept)!!!
Comparing it to road hooning also shows their lack of understanding of the marine environment.