PDA

View Full Version : Install outboard to transom

outsider580
21-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Any tips on installation of 135 optimax to Fibreglass transom. I have new stainless bolts nylock nuts and large load spreading washersfor inside and a tube of sikafex. Will I need a piece of plastic board between motor and transom ?

Steeler
21-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi outsider

Its only a personal thing i have always done and will be doing again hopefully this week ( if and when boat comes back from the f/glass repairers ) but i get a nice piece of marine ply about 5mm thick and give it a few coats of gelcoat and place between the outboard and transom.

Have a great Chrissy

Cheers

Steve

Spaniard_King
21-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Outsider.. go witht he plastic transom pad as you have indicated.

I will outlast several outboards on that hull, get plenty of sika around each hole between the pad and the transom and coat the bolts well.

Mr__Bean
22-12-2009, 03:10 AM
The ongoing integrity of the transom will depend heavily on your ability to have an "absolute" seal of sikaflex around the transom holes.

Do not skimp on this part of the install, clean all faces properly and seal between everything to ensure there is NO possibility of moisture getting past those bolts and into the transom.

Apply a ring of sealant between the washer and the transom, apply a ring of sealant between the bolt head and the washer. Where the bolt goes through the hole (or slot) in the motor bracket is another spot that I fill with sealant.

Seal, seal, seal......

Don't worry about the mess you make doing it, it cleans up easily before it dries with a rag moist with turps.

- Darren

outsider580
22-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Outsider.. go witht he plastic transom pad as you have indicated.

I will outlast several outboards on that hull, get plenty of sika around each hole between the pad and the transom and coat the bolts well.
Where can I buy aplastic pad.

Spaniard_King
22-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Any boat dealership should have them or whittys or Bias.

Noelm
22-12-2009, 08:03 AM
if you can't locate one at a boat place (you should) try a plastics supply place, tell them you need something that is UV resistant and they will fix you up, do NOT use a cheap cutting board, it will crack and fall to bits out in the weather.

outsider580
22-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys picked up one from Australian marine windows Clontarf $50.