PDA

View Full Version : Hutchies dolphin fish

nezevic99
21-12-2009, 01:58 PM
We headed out Sunday to see if we could tempt some bottom fish into the boat. It appeared it wasn’t to be. Rounded the Cape and headed out to deep tempest to see what the current was like. Pulled up only to find we were drifting south at 3kts. We decided that was going to be a no go so came into Shallow Tempest only to find it was just as bad at 2kts south. Hmmm… what to do? Put the poles down, headed out to the 50m line and started chugging north. We got all the way up to Hutchies and still hadn’t found anything of real interest. In came the lures and back out came the bottom bashers as we decided to drift over the northern end of Hutchies. By now it was nearly midday and we’d still done no good at all. Dad hooked up to a nice fish only to have it turn into a short encounter with the gray kind about 20ft off the bottom. Kris then hooked into something that was giving him a bit of a work out. 5 mins later and an 80cm amberjack goes into the bin. At least we are on the board now. It’s the biggest fish Kris has ever caught and he was stoked. About half an hour later, my floater sitting about 50m behind the boat gives a short squeal. I picked up the rod, tightened up the drag, leaned back and a very angry headshaking dolphin fish starts bouncing around the ocean. After 15mins, some really spectacular aerials and burning runs the fish is gaffed and slid over the side to make our fish box look a damn sight healthier than it had an hour before. Out best dollie to date and a ripper of a fish on 6kg. It went 130cm on the ruler and 10kg on the scales. A short dip at Yellow Patch and a quick run home saw us beat the storms and be back at home by 4pm.

b8nburlee
21-12-2009, 02:03 PM
gr8 report and even gr8er fish. worked for it, hooked "em, and beat the storms, nice one!

deepfried
21-12-2009, 05:10 PM
nice dollie mate. never got one of myself which peaves me a bit.

Kdog
21-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Mate,
Yep,and the smile said,"how good is this".That sure is a great effort mate!!
I'm in the same boat, so to speak,as deepfried,just have to keep trying I guess.
Anyhow mate, great report and even better fish.

michael_mad_fisho
21-12-2009, 08:24 PM
gday
nice fish mate we went out on wednesdsay last week to try for some as usual they eluded us. ended up trolling for 1 wahoo which was 10kg. . will post pics
cheers