PDA

View Full Version : 2000 tournement !

mako rod
21-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Hi just wondering if anyone has any info on the 2000 bluewater tournement. Seems to be a good looking boat tossing up between one or a 625 c/c explorer. Cheers Rod.:D

TJ Bear
21-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Have deleted previous post as after investigation my source was found to be not accurate. Tournament boats appear to be well made, I am sorry if anybody read the post and was mislead.

mako rod
21-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for your input tj bear i am heading towards the cruise craft they do seem to be a better finish.

bulldogs7
30-12-2009, 09:37 AM
TJ bear whats your experience with tournament?was thinking about buying a 1750?any info good or bad would help

Kdog
30-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Gday Rod,

Mate, without doubt, and as TJbear has said, the CC definitely has a far better finish and are a very classy boat, but at a price.
If your budget doesn’t stretch that far, and you are chasing a good quality soft riding fishing boat and don’t mind that it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles as in the finished product, then you should have a look at the Yalta 615.
A LOT cheaper too!! ;D

TJ Bear
30-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Deleted same reason as above

bulldogs7
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Mako rod, my experience with Tournament only goes as far as looking a few boats over and knowing that a number have had issues with cracking of the hull. In my opinion there is a number of better options, they are cheap but also look cheaply built to me. Would look in no order at a Yalta, Cruise Craft or Haines Signature before a Tournament.

TJ thanks for your input ,Ive been looking at a 1750 tournament and Yatla 555 i havent heard from anyone that owns a 1750 but hear nothing but good raps on the yatla.
If you know on anyone with a tournament i would love to hear anything good or bad!

scott

f.t.r.
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
scott,

i have owned a mustang 1750 ( tournament) for 4 years.

overall very happy.

i sent you a p.m., give me a call.

matty

TJ Bear
09-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Tournement have offered me a tour of their factory and to have a look at how they are building their boats which I will take up.

DAZMC1
10-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Tournament boats have a lot of their build quality coming from Edencraft like the fiberglass stringers and foam filled hull. The gen11 is out and is a great boat as tested by trailerboat.

OPTI
10-04-2010, 07:40 AM
a good friend of mine owns a 2000 tournament,ive been fishing in it a few times ,my personal opinion of it is its average at best ,i did go from the seaway to the 50's in 45 minutes,that was the last time i was allowed to drive it,lol.it bangs into a head sea ,you have to run full up trim 99%of the time,seems to have too much stern lift.its very wet in a following sea etc ,maybe the balance isnt right ,he still has fuel tank problem where the primer bulb sucks flat [pick up blockage maybe]they carnt seem to fix it.stainless work is good trim is good ,seats are terrible and mounting swivels are terrible [flex and squeek].
if your a first time boater with a family its proably all you will want and love .if your experienced and drive your boat hard youll hate it,im pretty sure id break it fairly quickly,but i am hard on my gear.and the 150 etec is just adequate in performance,it did come with sea star hydralic steering which is good,the hummingbird sounder/combo is a waste of money.my mate now realises after owning it for nearly a year ,you get what you pay for and he wishes he had spent a bit more now that he is a little wiser.

Cant Fish
10-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi Opti,

I am a new member as I am in the market for a 6m ish boat and I was told that this forum could be a good source of information. I am a few months off doing something so I thought I would try and do some home work.

I am considering all options and trying to keep an open mind on all brands. I will definately go fibreglass though. You dont rate the Tournament highly by the sounds of it. What do you you own and how does it compare to the Tournament?

I need a boat that will suit the family which includes two young kids. So mainly bay work and some mild water sports. Once I get confident back in boating again I would like to do the od trip with the mates to venture out for a fish. My aim is to be able to change my log in name in the future!

If anybody else has ideas for me please let me know?

Cheers

PinHead
10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Based on my past boats can't:
1. with females and kids a toilet is a good start..a potra pottie..therefore you may need a cabin with some privacy or lock up.
2. Ample sleeping space or rest space out of the sun for the kids
3. As for the boat manufacture i would not buy a boat without the following:
a) must have glass stringer/grid system.
b) no timber in the manufacture including the transom
c) positive or positive/level flotation
d) self draining deck
e) foreward and aft bilge pumps
f) dual battery system
g) transom door for the kids

Any glass boat that does not have those features is old school and not worth the money.

The other features will be at your discretion from there on in.

jason p
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi Opti,

I am a new member as I am in the market for a 6m ish boat and I was told that this forum could be a good source of information. I am a few months off doing something so I thought I would try and do some home work.

I am considering all options and trying to keep an open mind on all brands. I will definately go fibreglass though. You dont rate the Tournament highly by the sounds of it. What do you you own and how does it compare to the Tournament?

I need a boat that will suit the family which includes two young kids. So mainly bay work and some mild water sports. Once I get confident back in boating again I would like to do the od trip with the mates to venture out for a fish. My aim is to be able to change my log in name in the future!

Cheers

hi mate i went through the same delemer a couple off years back, to try and find a good all rounder to suit the kids wife and a good fishing seasion o and also the budget. and i found an exccellent all rounder on the suny coast the pursuit 550, it doesn't quite have every thing that pin head stated but most.
you have a good size cabin with room for a porta potti, large bunks, ample shade big feul capacity, kill tank, bait tanks bilge pump and the list goes on. small enough to do a family trip in the river or the bay and sea worthy enough to head off shore as far as your heart desires and or the feul tank. they also now have a 6m model with everything that pin head stated and more. might be worth a call for a brocher. all depends on personal taste i guess
good luck.

jp

OPTI
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Opti,

Cheers
the tournament imop is a first boat buyers boat,or first 6m glass boat,its good bang for your buck and youll be happy with it cause you dont know better ,if that makes sense.it really gets down to price an its the only new 6m in the mid 50's drive away.for the average family that just want to get on the water and have fun it fits the bill.
if your into serious off shore fishing and doing big miles offshore,there are better 6m boats on the market but they cost 20 grand plus more than the tournament.
seafearer 6.2 vagabond and signature 630 f come to mind.it really gets down to how much you are prepared to spend.
i have a edencraft 233 at the moment still not in the water ,its 7.1 meter and much bigger boat,you couldnt compare the 2.
and if you do end up with a tournament at least put a decent sounder in it like a furuno 585 ,not the cheap crap they option it with,that will help you catch fish more than anything else you buy/.

boatboy50
10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
the tournament imop is a first boat buyers boat,or first 6m glass boat,its good bang for your buck and youll be happy with it cause you dont know better ,if that makes sense.it really gets down to price an its the only new 6m in the mid 50's drive away.for the average family that just want to get on the water and have fun it fits the bill.
if your into serious off shore fishing and doing big miles offshore,there are better 6m boats on the market but they cost 20 grand plus more than the tournament.
seafearer 6.2 vagabond and signature 630 f come to mind.it really gets down to how much you are prepared to spend.
i have a edencraft 233 at the moment still not in the water ,its 7.1 meter and much bigger boat,you couldnt compare the 2.
and if you do end up with a tournament at least put a decent sounder in it like a furuno 585 ,not the cheap crap they option it with,that will help you catch fish more than anything else you buy/.

Hey,

Getting off the subject, but there are plenty of 6m boats in the under 60k budget, not only the Tournament. The Haines Traveler TC200 and Lewis 590 Walkaround are a couple which come to mind, but there is plenty out there.

Have a look at the TC200, it's a great hull and suits family/camping needs very well.

Darren

OPTI
11-04-2010, 10:35 AM
yeah im sure there are plenty of 6m boats out there that are better than a tournament,wouldnt be hard to beat it.

PinHead
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
have you owned one OPTI? or just going on some preceived dislike of them?
I would not own many Australian built boats ...and that includes Edencraft..too many bad tales of them over the years also.

It is amazing how people want to bag other people's boat selections yet the one they own is always perfect..methinks that is not the case.

I know every boat I have owned has had its own little imperfections but you buy the boat to suit what you want and your needs...and not what someone else waffles on about.

OPTI
11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
have you owned one OPTI? or just going on some preceived dislike of them?
I would not own many Australian built boats ...and that includes Edencraft..too many bad tales of them over the years also.

It is amazing how people want to bag other people's boat selections yet the one they own is always perfect..methinks that is not the case.

I know every boat I have owned has had its own little imperfections but you buy the boat to suit what you want and your needs...and not what someone else waffles on about.
couldnt agree with you more,im just giving unbiased feed back from personal experience ,as stated a good friend has one and ive been fishing in it 4 times ,been out to the 50,s etc i have a good feel for its capabilities,as stated good bang for your buck but not what id class as a good offshore hull,simple as that

bastard
11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi opti was just wondering what sort of boat you fish out of ?.

Cant Fish
13-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi gang,

Thanks for the feedback. All great comments and items to put on a list. I may even consider the secod hand market to to see if i can stretch the dollar a bit further. The wife likes the 2000 Tournamnet because of the sliding cabin door. As she is the minister for finance and war then she gets a say in it. After a bit of homework there seems to be two versions of the 2000. The current models have a GENeration 2 Hull which apparently has bigger chines and a sharper entry than the old one resulting in a dryer ride and better stability. Well thats what the salesman told me. Opti, the boat that you went in was it the old or new model hull.

Also do the seafarer , signatures or TC200 come with solid door for the cabin? I will do some more hunting around this weekend but if anyone knows off hand it would be apreciated.

Has anyone had experience in the Baysports or Yalta's as well. They seem very well priced?

Cheers

business class
13-04-2010, 09:29 AM
What u looking at spending Cant Fish?

OPTI
13-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi gang,

Thanks for the feedback. All great comments and items to put on a list. I may even consider the secod hand market to to see if i can stretch the dollar a bit further. The wife likes the 2000 Tournamnet because of the sliding cabin door. As she is the minister for finance and war then she gets a say in it. After a bit of homework there seems to be two versions of the 2000. The current models have a GENeration 2 Hull which apparently has bigger chines and a sharper entry than the old one resulting in a dryer ride and better stability. Well thats what the salesman told me. Opti, the boat that you went in was it the old or new model hull.

Also do the seafarer , signatures or TC200 come with solid door for the cabin? I will do some more hunting around this weekend but if anyone knows off hand it would be apreciated.

Has anyone had experience in the Baysports or Yalta's as well. They seem very well priced?

Cheers
mate i gotta say ,im a bit bewildered that you'd buy a boat because it has a solid cabin door.i do understand the wife bit ,a toilet is a must with some privacy,they certainly dont like using a bucket,lol.
my mates boat is i think 9 months old,not sure which generation it is.if i was going to buy a rig on todays market i would seriously look at the usa,there are some real cheap boats over there,i looked at a 28 ablemerle last week that owed the owner 100k landed,i couldnt believe it ,my 233 owes me more than that and i got to spend another 70 k to get it wet.it will have all the bells and whistles though:evilgrin: .have a look at a striper 2103 alaskan pack ,just as a suggestion.

Kill Bill
17-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Tournament boats have a lot of their build quality coming from Edencraft like the fiberglass stringers and foam filled hull. The gen11 is out and is a great boat as tested by trailerboat.

Are they foam filled hulls? I know their marketting eludes to it however I understand that is not the case (according to one of their dealers), all they have is foam cored stringers................ sounds like a marketting scam, maybe someone can confirm or deny?

OPTI
18-04-2010, 07:05 AM
have a look at flex's thread ,importing a boat from the us,2103 striper for 34 k landed,although his is a centre consol,you will get twice the boat for half as much.have a look at boat trader.com

Bowser
18-04-2010, 07:46 AM
There is another way to look at buying a boat and that is to buy a second hand boat of reputable make. If the motor is older replace it with a new one, you get the best of both worlds and save a lot of dollars. As long as the hull is sound, you can get a very well manufactured and good riding boat with a new motor for substantially less then a e new rig. Fibreglass retains it's properties for years without any deterioration and with a new motor you can be confidant of it's not giving any problems. A lot of the top hulls around have been around for years so you gain little buying a new one as against one that is 10 years old. The only real changes are in the topsides, where trends are more too do with perspective then with real improvement. For instance you will pick up a very good Cruisecraft 575 for around $40k, a new motor will set you back somewhere between $15 & 20k without any trade in allowance. You would end up with a very good boat with new motor for around $50k. And this is without looking at older boats. Without any preferences builders like Carribean and Haines were making great hulls that have stood the test of time 30 years ago. You can end up wit a very good, seaworthy boat for a lot less.

Kill Bill
18-04-2010, 10:49 AM
have a look at flex's thread ,importing a boat from the us,2103 striper for 34 k landed,although his is a centre consol,you will get twice the boat for half as much.have a look at boat trader.com

Great idea, and then get half as much as you paid when you go to sell it..... regardless of how good the US boats may look the used market for grey imports is no where near as bouyant as the used market for Aussie built boats. People importing these boats to try to make a quick buck are also finding it harder and harder to move the boat for a profit

OPTI
18-04-2010, 12:04 PM
i dont think you would loose anywhere near as much bringing in a 2103 striper @40k compared to what you will dump on 60K TOURNAMENT,remember tounament have been building boats for what 2 years now ,out of the old mustang moulds [remember mustang]??
anyway im not talking about bringing in a BOAT TO MAKE MONEY ,just what you can get for 40 to 60 k,and a 2103 striper kills a 6m tournament in every department imop;D

nigelr
18-04-2010, 06:20 PM
True, the price of new and pre-owned boats in the US is almost unbelievable compared to Aus, for some unknown-to-me reason.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-SEASWIRL-Striper--2101-WA-94368272
Perhaps it comes down to cheaper materials and larger market?:o :'(

Vitamin Sea
18-04-2010, 07:31 PM
How about this one,

THIS is a boat, one day...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Albemarle-247--Just-Reduced-$5k-96194572

OPTI
19-04-2010, 06:43 AM
yeah that ablemerle is a copy of a 233[same bottom]ive got to stop looking at boat trader,im gettin depressed,my 233 owes me over 100k and i havnt got engines hanging on yet.

business class
19-04-2010, 10:27 AM
yeah that ablemerle is a copy of a 233[same bottom]ive got to stop looking at boat trader,im gettin depressed,my 233 owes me over 100k and i havnt got engines hanging on yet.

100K without Engines:o i feel depressed for you....... How can it cost thaty much?

Cheers
Matty

OPTI
19-04-2010, 11:20 AM
100K without Engines:o i feel depressed for you....... How can it cost thaty much?

Cheers
Matty
you know boats mate ,the hull only was 60 k bare when it left the factory,if i had my time again i would do it differently thats for sure,thats why im telling people to look around at the moment ,the worlds a small place now and there sure are some bargains out there.

Jarrah Jack
19-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Cheers
Matty

OPTI has a thread somewhere on the fit out of his 233. He is an absolute perfectionist where I think his boat has become a bit more than something just to go out to the shelf in.

Reading those US used boat sites makes me want to weep.

business class
19-04-2010, 03:24 PM
you know boats mate ,the hull only was 60 k bare when it left the factory,if i had my time again i would do it differently thats for sure,thats why im telling people to look around at the moment ,the worlds a small place now and there sure are some bargains out there.

Yeah im hearing ya..... Thats alot of cash to spend on extras, i guess sky is the limit when u got to have sounder, GPS, riggers, and all the fit out gear plus trailer and engines.... 60K for hull only, was that a custom built to suit you or is that always the price for the 233?

Cheers
Matty

OPTI
19-04-2010, 04:50 PM
they were 44k standard ,it was customised to what i wanted

PinHead
19-04-2010, 06:58 PM
what did you want in the hull that was an extra 40K ??

Manjilad
20-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Tough decision buying a boat!
My penny's worth is stick with CruiseCraft, Haines or Whittley. 2nd hand expect to pay $45k to $100k. Go outboard, low motor hours and fully inspected (Hull and motor) before purchase. I ended up with a Whittley 603 (glass stringers) and very happy. Luxury for the kids and wife (zipper door) and fish for the blokes and good for overnighting. Safety is always first in Hull and motor reliability. 2nd hand quality boat is much better than a new low quality boat but Up2U! Cheers