PDA

View Full Version : tell tale or not

Bradzee
20-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I have just purchased a 1967 Johnson 6HP auxiliary. I can't find a tell tale on it anywhere, and no water comes out when running it. Anybody know if this model has one.::)

Thanks.

shano
20-12-2009, 08:47 PM
the older one comes out of the exhaust port on the rear of the leg, if you run it with the water ears on it you wont see it! but you should see it if you run it in a bucket of water. make sure its a deep bucket and the leg is nice and deep in the water just below the port half way up the leg.

FNQCairns
20-12-2009, 08:47 PM
My family had one bought the week I was born in 66 and I used it from youngster till 19 and i cannot remember it having a tell tail.

cheers fnq

Pretzil
21-12-2009, 01:03 AM
I guess at some point it went from being an outlet for the cooling water to actually being a tell tale. I.e its only a tell tale if its positioned so that you can use it to tell if waters being sucked.

Noelm
21-12-2009, 07:12 AM
be careful running it on ear muffs, some of those early small motors needed a special setup, as the water was picked up from trhe area were the modern day "fin" that adjust for steering torque is located, not from a side of the gearcase sort of thing.

Bradzee
21-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm new to boating so I appreciate the experienced advice.

The inlet is at the very bottom and not able to use earmuffs as stated by Noelm and Shano. I have put it in a bucket and no water comes out of the exhaust half way up the leg.

How long will the motor run before it gets too hot and stops? I ran it in the river on the weekend and it ran for about 10 mins then stopped, but I think it was a fuel problem as the main motor had just done the same.

bennyboy
21-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm worried that you said purchased, and then for an auxiliary
I'd think twice about swapping a 6 pack for a 67 model motor
I certainly wouldn't be wanting to rely on it in case of an emergency

FNQCairns
21-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm worried that you said purchased, and then for an auxiliary
I'd think twice about swapping a 6 pack for a 67 model motor
I certainly wouldn't be wanting to rely on it in case of an emergency

Not as bad as you might think Benny, back in those days they used good quality aluminium cast not the cheap and nasty apro cast used this last 10-20 years on modern engines and also those engines where just as reliable as anything today.

Only in our minds have we come along way.

cheers fnq