PDA

View Full Version : Snapper action off the Cape

Mozziemagnet
20-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Headed out at midday for a bit of fun on the water. Found some bird action in the bay off the northwestern corner of Moreton and got into some mack tuna but they were small at 40cm. . Out at the Cape the gulps got the snappers excited and we hooked into a few - even had a double hook-up - until the storm looked ominous, and we took our leave. I caught the big one at 85cm.

Kdog
21-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Gday Mozziemagnet,

Mate, that’s a great effort, and to think you, “Headed out at midday for a bit of fun on the water”.
It’s always good to see the other half getting stuck into it as well!!
The question is my friend, what time is the Barbeque happening
Once again mate, well done.:)

rosco1974
21-12-2009, 05:41 PM
mate great fish,looks like u got outfished by there better half like most of us on here,well done,
cheers rosco

Benno1
22-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Thats the stuff!!!...great piccies...did you catch them on a drift or pinned???
Thanks for the piccies and report.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Tinlegs
22-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Ausfishers,

I'm the bloke in the green t-shirt there looking like I've just been outfished by my Mrs.

A bit more info for you about the trip and maybe some questions for the Ausfish collective.

There was a question there from Mrs Benno1 - we were drifting the reefs on our para-anchor fishing soft plastics. I don't like anchoring up if I can avoid it. We'd been fishing 5" gulps and not getting a touch, so I dropped a 2" shad down on my 6lb bream gear and got absolutely monstered.

Don't ask me why I did that.

Changed Elle's leader down to 20lb fluorocarbon from some 30lb mono I was trying out and put on a 4" shad in pumpkinseed and you can seen the results for yourselves.

Peanuts for elephants.

Here's my question - the fish went absolutely nuts in the 1/2 hour before that storm came in on Sunday afternoon - we had huge hits and double hookups, and we could see that they were in the "feeding" pattern on the sounder.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

22-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Some nice snapper there mate!

It is a well known phenomenah that fish can come on the bite before storms due to the sudden change in air pressure. Cannot say I have ever experienced it personally but your experience is no dobut consistant to the theory and does not suprise me one bit.

What sort of dept were you fishing mate and how heavy were your jigs heads?

Cheers
CT

Tinlegs
22-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Didn't really look at the depths - just the usual stuff around Brennans, Smith Rock and Hutchies.

I usually just sound around until I find the fish and drop down onto them.

Jig heads between 1/4 and 3/4 ounce - as light as possible for the speed of the drift, 14lb fireline and 20lb fluorocarbon leader is heaps.

timddo
22-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Tinlegs i notice you have a shimano raider rod in the background. How did that rod perform.

Tinlegs
22-12-2009, 07:12 PM
G'day Timddo,

Those are the last generation Snapper Raiders from Shimano - well spotted. We use them with Daiwa reels, Elle's is a CY-3000 and mine's a Tierra 4000 that I'm trying out(awesome, by the way). We've had them a couple of years.

Absolutely brilliant rods for the money, between us they've caught a couple of snapper in the 85-90 range, big spangled emporer, kingies, AJ's, tuna, trevally, jobfish - basically everything you'd expect. Nice action, not too heavy for Elle/Mozziemagnet, and a good weight for the inner reef stuff where we fish the most.

We release most of our fish (all the ones in the pics are still there, alive and well) and this gear is enough to get them up quickly and in good shape.

sleepygreg
22-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Hey Tinlegs, thats the way, If she outfishes ya..she has to do the report. Way to Go Elle.

As to the approaching storm, it is anecdotal, but overwhelming in those anecdotes, that most fish go nuts on the bite when the barometer is dropping rapidly...as in the case of an approaching storm...the nastier the storm the bigger the bite. Over the 45 years I have been fishing, and talking to other fishos, I am in no doubt whatsoever about this. Have had my ar$e soaked and bruised many a time when not taking heed of the impending weather front because the fish are going off their heads.....and that applies to freshwater (bass, yellas, goodoo), estuary (name a species), and offshore (top bottom and midwater).

Just make sure you keep your OWN safety at the top of your thinking...a fish is not worth YOUR life. Also note that immediately after a storm the bite shuts down real quick. (yeah...been still out there when this happens :-X )

Greg