PDA

View Full Version : What's the best bet for a sounder/gps unit now?

Stido1
20-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I was saving for one of the Lowrance HDS units but it would seem that they have really let themselves down with the quality of them.

So where to from here? I'm after something in the 5" - 7" screen size & combo unit. What do you guru's recommend is the best bang for buck for someone who can't afford over say $1200 or so?;D

krazyfisher
20-12-2009, 03:16 PM
if spending over $1500 there are a number of good units but for under $1000 I would still go with the HDS. I have one and for the money it is great.
I just wished I had spent the extra, my next one will not be a lowrance.... just got to convince my self to upgrade a 2mth old sounder....

Razgo-
20-12-2009, 05:43 PM
i ended up going with a Ray MARINE A50D combo for 1300 that came with a $475.00 VHF radio as well. I think the promotion is still on at http://www.whitworths.com.au/

comes with a good base map. no need to purchase additional detail maps unless you go offshore.

Trekka273
20-12-2009, 06:01 PM
i ended up going with a Ray MARINE A50D combo for 1300 that came with a $475.00 VHF radio as well. I think the promotion is still on at http://www.whitworths.com.au/

comes with a good base map. no need to purchase additional detail maps unless you go offshore.

Like Stido1 I have been planning to purchase a Lowrance HDS-5 or HDS-7, however I am concerned about some of the reports going around about them at present. That's not to say that I am definitely turned off them, but I am lookinf for alternatives as well.

The Raymarine mentioned here is one that I have just started to consider as well. Does anyone have any opinions on this unit? Is the map that it comes with sufficent for areas such as Port Phillip Bay, Gippsland Lakes, etc? I don't need a unit that has every bell and whistle possible, I just want a unit that reads the depth well when travelling at speed and has a good GPS/plotter. And the added bonus of the VHF could be very nice....

Awoonga
21-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Like Stido1 I have been planning to purchase a Lowrance HDS-5 or HDS-7, however I am concerned about some of the reports going around about them at present. That's not to say that I am definitely turned off them, but I am lookinf for alternatives as well.

The Raymarine mentioned here is one that I have just started to consider as well. Does anyone have any opinions on this unit? Is the map that it comes with sufficent for areas such as Port Phillip Bay, Gippsland Lakes, etc? I don't need a unit that has every bell and whistle possible, I just want a unit that reads the depth well when travelling at speed and has a good GPS/plotter. And the added bonus of the VHF could be very nice....
Trekka, HDS 5 Units are tops Just a slight probem with water in the unit....Twice....So thats two units returned so its the bird for me.. oh... do you wish to buy my new HDS 5 ????....Never used not game....

Trekka273
21-12-2009, 07:34 PM
How did the water get in the unit? Is it just from condensatin, etc, or did they get submerged or splashed a lot? I really like the look of them, but hearing about people on 2nd and 3rd units, problems showing depth over 12 knots, etc is making me think again.

BR65
21-12-2009, 07:40 PM
How did the water get in the unit? Is it just from condensatin, etc, or did they get submerged or splashed a lot? I really like the look of them, but hearing about people on 2nd and 3rd units, problems showing depth over 12 knots, etc is making me think again.

All Lowrances suck in water. Its a fact of life, Ive owned lowrance for a lot of differant boats, for a lot of years, off shore, creek, fresh.
Number one rule, dont leave them in the boat over night if you dont have to ie. if your not useing them, take them out.
Depth readings over 12 knots sounds like transducer placement?

I have the HDSX5. Do I like it - yes.
Would I buy another - yes touch wood this one hasnt had any issues.
Am I looking at alternates for future - yes.

whiteman
23-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone with a long memory will remember that the previous flavour of the month, the Navman sounders and combos like the 6600 (I've got a 5200), were plagued with problems. They settled into a very reliable unit. The Lowrance will probably do the same. It means it may not be worth it to buy offshore, rather, buy from a big retailer that will back service claims should they arise.

I would get the HDS8 right now if I could justify the $3.5k.

fatovich
25-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I bought one of the Raymarine A50D units and so far i am pretty pleased with the results. I have to do some adjustments to the transducer as we lose bottom at around 15-20 knots. I suspected i would have to adjust the angle when i installed it and there are spacers to do this.
I cant comment on the detail of the maps in your area, around NQ it seems OK I think i will upgrade at some stage.

Trekka273
25-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks Fatovich. It is definitely a unit I am considering. I haven't had a good look at them, but hopefully with a correctly setup transducer I wouldn't have any problems. Of course, i would need to learn how to set up the transducer correctly :)

Sheik
25-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Have had an A50D for about four months now. LIke most units, it takes some time to get to learn its plusses and minusses. It can be customised if you want to spend some time on it which helps.
Have trouble with any reading at speed, and have put transducer on sliding bracket. It works best when right down, ie about 50 mm below boat bottom, but there's a shocking rooster tail.
The sounder is very good though, now that i've learnt the best approach wiht it. Gave me great readings out from mooloolaba two weeks ago.
Taking it to Turkey beach next week, and will be putting a review up in the Qld FIshing MOnthly maybe APril or May. TO summarise, GPS is nowhere near as easy to use and effective as the Garmin 620 (see QFL December and January) but the sounder is very good. Screen is small but easier to view than a garmin. Soft keys which change with the screen are good once you get used to them. GO the 7" if possible but the 5" still goes alright, and is plenty large enough for sounding. Hope that helpos for whatit's worth.

Jabba_
26-12-2009, 07:01 AM
I have the HDS 8 with through hull transducer.. Holds the bottom up to 35mph in the ocean on a calm day, flat water it will hold the bottom up to 40mph, but I have to increase the ping speed....

It's easy to use and marks up the fish better then my last Lowrance...

Trekka273
26-12-2009, 08:12 AM
I really just want a sounder that reads the bottom well at speeds up to 40 or 45 km/h (bit more if possible), and the GPS/plotter that is easy to read, understand and use. I don't fish in massive depths, usually just in the bays and rivers around Melbourne and East Gippsland.

I am hoping in the next 1-2 months the problems that I have read about on this site with the HDS units will be fixed, however if nt I will need to to look at something else.

tunaticer
26-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I was thinking of a HDS with structure scan, but I find myself reassessing the Humminbird 798csi and the 997 csi side imagers. Seems to me that too many ppl are having dramas with the hds/s and they do not do a standalone strucure scan and offer it as an add-on at much increased outlays.

I have had about 7 or 8 Lowrance sounders over the years and everyone of them had fogging from overnight in open air.

The Garmins I currently run are very good with no issues, just not quite as good as the furuno 585 for clarity tho.