PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor Query re best size & type

patrol50
18-12-2009, 06:49 PM
hi need some advice re an electric motore to drive a Quintrex 470 coast runner runabout with a 50 hp 4 s Merc on its tail ::) - thinking to use 12 v for ease of battery set up and maybe a stern drive mounting with an EM around the 50 / 55 thrust size - any advice re best to go stern mount or on bow mount (which is a bit complcated to do) on this size and type of boat much appreciated and - and dont want to start a big debate about which is the best but out of Mini kota , Watersnake or Motorguide any recom about an ideal unit to put of the Quin 470 would be appreciated from some who have an EM mounted on a similar type of boat - also any tips about best deals and place to buy in brisbane town or nearby appreciated
thank rob ;D
ps sorry posted this originally in boating section but guess it should have been in electronics :-[

Blackened
19-12-2009, 08:37 AM
G'day

Intended use? I'm going to say you will need something in the vicinity of 74lb ( I think that's the size) 24V

Dave

patrol50
19-12-2009, 11:48 AM
hi blackened thanks for the comments - had a bad feeling i would be told need to go bigger than 50 / 55 thrust which of course means a 24 v unit but to locate a 24 v dual battery system on the q470 is a quite a a big issue and have 2 off 12 v on it now and the 2nd battery is not a full size batt due to space storgage issues
oh well thats the reason for the post to get feeddback
currently thinking i will go with biggest 12 v unit i can find i.e 50 / 55 thrust , bow mounted and with an auto control and with an extended extra long leg

cheers rob

borisdog
19-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I'd be amazed if you needed a 24V. I have a 4.55 Polycraft with a 4st 60 Merc with a bow mounted RT55AP Minn Kota and it goes very well.

As pointed out it will depend on your usage, my usage is manoeuvering etc for snag casting - I never troll.

I would guess that my boat would be pretty close to the weight of yours bearing in mind the difference between Poly and Alloy. My battery for the electric is also a 32kg AGM separate to the start battery, so more weight there.

Don't even consider a stern mount in a boat that size - it will disappoint you and drive you nuts with lack of response due to not being mounted down the centre line of the boat. Spend the cash - you won't regret it.

I've got a fishing mate who's mounted a 55MK on the nose of a Seajay runabout, as you say it's difficult but can be done - he made a sort of extended bowsprit and the leccy sits parallel to the windscreen if you get what I mean.

Cheers, Darryl

NAGG
20-12-2009, 09:31 PM
G'day

Intended use? I'm going to say you will need something in the vicinity of 74lb ( I think that's the size) 24V

Dave

I reckon you're on the mark Dave ....... I certainly wouldn't put a 12 volt system on anything larger than a 4.5M boat.
Sure they work ..... but with any tide , current or wind ..... you'll be running flat stick & drawing the battery charge down real quick
I run a 74lb on my 480 Hornet ..... & at times you need every bit of it !
with a high sided , windscreened boat ....... even more reason to go 24vlt

Chris

patrol50
21-12-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks guys and yes ok it llooks like a 24 v unfortunately is the best way to go on the Q 470 CR - but due to my budget and the fact it will get only pretty min use may still stick with the 12 v system for ease of making it happen - my main use is a very occassional foray into the northern rivers after barra so aim to get in out of difficult spots quietly and also to follow a reef or coffee rock line on the drift in the bay now and then
cherrs rob

davo
21-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Wait and get the 24V motor. The biggest issue is windage particularly with the likes of a Quinnie. The brother in law has the 55lb bowmount on a 4.5 Bluefin and finds himself pushing the motor very hard at times. 24V isn't the hassle you think it is. I've been running a RT65 bow mount on my 4.8 Fisher for over 7 years and I have only just ordered ne batteries. My advice is a Minnkota RT70 from the US. You will save heaps. I have mine set up with a pug in charging system so I can simply come home and plug in the charger and leave it. Note I don't have an on board unit. Happy to supply information on the installation just PM me.

leelee
21-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Here are my 2 cents.

If you put a 12v system on your boat i can gaurantee you will replace it within 6 months and the $ you will loose for selling the 12v unit will make the cost of upgrading to a 24v system even more expensive.

I used to own a 455 profish and ran a 65lb then a 75 lb 24v motor on it for 4 years and not once did it ever let me down. I limped back from the pipline in the Brisbane river to Pinkenba ramp against the outgoign tide and still had power left in the battery's.

Your boat will drain a 12v battery in the wind and current within 3 hours maybe less. The high sides of your boat will see you using the electric more which will in turn use more power.

My advice is to get a 24v set up and go the biggest lb thrust you can afford

One other issue to look at is shaft length. Get the longest you can in the model you are after as this will ensure in swell that the motor is still usable.

Cheers

Lee

patrol50
21-12-2009, 08:22 PM
ok guys your all hard men - so a 24 v unit it will be then - say go with the 75 and the longest shaft i can get and with remote controlled - anyone good for a loan - why is anything to do with boats so bloody expensive
thanks guys appreacite the good advice
cheeers rob

leelee
21-12-2009, 09:40 PM
ok guys your all hard men - so a 24 v unit it will be then - say go with the 75 and the longest shaft i can get and with remote controlled - anyone good for a loan - why is anything to do with boats so bloody expensive
cheeers rob

One more bit of advice. I used to own a 75lb wireless motorguide. Great motor but everytime you use the unit it beeps. It beeps for everything. Speed up, speed down, speed on speed off, turn right, turn left.

It becomes very annoying very very quickly

Cheers

Lee

NAGG
22-12-2009, 07:40 AM
cheeers rob

Hi Rob

electric motors are one of those things that are too easy to get wrong ..... I nearly did (changed the order just prior to installation)
fortunately I spoke to someone (hand on heart stuff) & said that he wished he had gone to a 24 vlt system ...... & he had a smaller boat that I had ordered...... he struggled on Alpine lakes when the wind got up.
The other thing that is noticeable , is that the 12 vlt system makes slower turns ..... takes longer to slow the momentum of the boat ( you crash into more things) So yes, there's a greater initial outlay - but you wont be disappointed either.

Chris

leelee
22-12-2009, 04:56 PM
( you crash into more things)

Imagine how many more things I would crash into then with a 12v system:o

Cheers

Lee

Scott Mitchell
23-12-2009, 06:26 AM
The old saying goes "You can't have too much power" http://www.fishntales.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif

I have always run 24 volt motors & never run out of battery life. As Al said - batteries are also important & I am going with deka Seamate AGM's on the new Haines 485SF with a 24 volt Motorguide 74lb freshwater wireless with universal transducer http://www.fishntales.com/forum/Smileys/default/rocker.gif

Then you need a good charger as well - I'm going with Ctec on board this time.

Regards Scotto

patrol50
23-12-2009, 01:59 PM
ok thank guys 24 v it will be then naggs bow mounted with an extra long shaft and foot type remote controlled - i dont like lots of beeps either lee - one query is what is the real advantage of an auto pilot ???? worth the extra dollars ??
cheers rob

leelee
23-12-2009, 06:52 PM
ok thank guys 24 v it will be then naggs bow mounted with an extra long shaft and foot type remote controlled - i dont like lots of beeps either lee - one query is what is the real advantage of an auto pilot ???? worth the extra dollars ??
cheers rob

Auto pilots are good if you plan on using them.

The real advantage is you point the nose where you want to go, press he auto pilot button and the boat keeps heading to the point you wanted to go to.

Its great for working a deep drop off or bank. They also have a good use which most people do not use them for and that is over a shallow reef. Just point the boat into the tide or wind on the top current side of the reef and press the auto pilot button and dial in the correct speed to keep you sitting over the reef in hte one spots or slowly drifting back. They are a great bit of gear.

Cheers

Lee

mjc85
24-12-2009, 09:31 AM
24v 80lb MinnKota for sure, 12v is for baby boats.

leelee
24-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Just double check on the warranty and if it applies to saltwater applications. If you get a riptide then you will have no issues with warranty but if you get another model from Minn Kota that is black, black indicates fresh water, then using in saltwater may void your warranty.

Cheers

Lee