PDA

View Full Version : fuel 8months old........any good

yellahunter
17-12-2009, 07:53 PM
get guys,

ive got a full tank of fuel that ive had for around 8 months,
its 2 stoke premixed, i havent used the outboard since so the fuel has just been sitting in the tank,

is this still ok to use after its been sitting around so long..?

cheers,

Ben

Roughasguts
17-12-2009, 08:13 PM
get guys,

its 2 stoke premixed, i havent used the outboard since so the fuel has just been sitting in the tank,

cheers,

Ben

Yep OK for weed killer!
Fuel has gone off in 3 months even less with oil in it.

Cheers.

bigjimg
17-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Ditch it alltogether otherwise get new garden equipment as well.Jim

DTHCoCo
17-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Sometimes fuel surpries u I have straight unleaded in my eu20i Honda generator that is over 2 years old no joke lol and it still starts on the second pull. Now I don't recommend using stale fuel especially in a boat. I believe 2 stroke doesn't store that well for long periods.

sandbankmagnet
17-12-2009, 10:00 PM
My question is how to dispose of old fuel? Other than the environmentally bad. Or running a strip up the street and setting it off at New Years....

Roughasguts
17-12-2009, 10:39 PM
How much??

Moffy
18-12-2009, 07:39 AM
mix it in the 2 stroke mower half and half with new fuel - won't be a problem.

I'm still using weipa fuel that's 2 years old (now it is crap - its almost orange....) but still goes alright as a half mix in the mower.

otherwise some servos will have a waste fuel bin you can dump it for free usually - one here at portsmith in Cairns if anyone up this way needs that info)

Moffy

Moffy
18-12-2009, 07:40 AM
mix it in the 2 stroke mower half and half with new fuel - won't be a problem (add oil if needed to get the right mix for your 2 stroke).

I'm still using weipa fuel that's 2 years old (now it is crap - its almost orange....) but still goes alright as a half mix in the mower.

otherwise some servos will have a waste fuel bin you can dump it for free usually - one here at portsmith in Cairns if anyone up this way needs that info)

Moffy

cormorant
18-12-2009, 09:55 AM
You can't refresh stale fuel, no ifs no buts - you can't

Running it in any motor will put it at risk especially a outboard under load.

Do a search of previous threads - not worth loosing or reducing the life of a motor over. Fuel quality is average enough when fresh.

2yo fuel in Genny - well for the sake of 4l $6 I wouldn't risk a $2000 genset. The waxes and gums, varnish all stay and the volatile elements evaporate off and you then run your motor on that. Not good for it. Little hondas with strong ignitions will run on average fuel but it ain't good for em. Will end up paying for service to get varnish out of carby or have the jets varnish up and it will run lean and you will have heat or valve issues.

Weipa fuel usually has some extras in it to keep it freshin hight temp and humidity but ............... not worth it

Do yourself a favour and dispose of it at the mechanics or save it for parts washing next time you need it.

If you know you are going to have to leave old fuel around buy some fuel stabiliser and use it as you are filling the tank and every time you top up.

Kdog
18-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Ben,

Mate,I`m with cormorant and most of the other guys,I would unload it.
Its not as if you could just hop out of the boat and walk home if something was to go wrong.

nickstock
18-12-2009, 01:22 PM
get guys,

cheers,

Ben

Throw it out you tight bastard ! A true Darmody;D

Nick

P.S

You coming up with Sam and Whittle in April?

gone_fishing
18-12-2009, 06:51 PM
it will be great to use if you like rowing :)

yellahunter
18-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Throw it out you tight bastard ! A true Darmody;D

Nick

P.S

You coming up with Sam and Whittle in April?

hahaha yeah buddy,

umm April not sure hey il have a chat to Sam,
the only thing with that is you gotta watch where u eat when hes ordering meat, cheese only LMAO haha

gr hilly
18-12-2009, 07:41 PM
weed killer mate unless you like swimming

Pedro Jnr
18-12-2009, 07:51 PM
My two bobs worth, mix the old fuel 50/50 with new fuel, don't waste it mate

disorderly
18-12-2009, 07:51 PM
For the price of a tank of new fuel why would you bother using it in either your outboard or any other motor.

What a cheap-ass.!

If you want some value from it,collect and stack all your burnable junk,make a bonfire in the backyard,pour the fuel over it ,stand back 4-5 meters and light it up..thats the only use for stale fuel IMO.

Scott

Axl
21-12-2009, 07:23 PM
yellahunter

Your joking right dont even consider using it in your whipper snipper throw it out.

groverwa
21-12-2009, 10:50 PM
If it stinks then do no not use for anything but weed killer

Getout
22-12-2009, 06:27 AM
For the price of a tank of new fuel why would you bother using it in either your outboard or any other motor.

What a cheap-ass.!

If you want some value from it,collect and stack all your burnable junk,make a bonfire in the backyard,pour the fuel over it ,stand back 4-5 meters and light it up..thats the only use for stale fuel IMO.

Scott

First, you had better call the ambulance and have them put a unit on standby!

Axl
22-12-2009, 08:32 PM
If it stinks then do no not use for anything but weed killer

After 8 Months it would be lucky to kill a weed let alone stink.