PDA

View Full Version : Importing Lowrance Sounders

hodges4
17-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I read this yesterday and thought I'd better post it for those considering importing Lowrance products from the US. I don't know how recent it is or if it has been covered before. I was thinking of importing but am hesitant and looking for comments from anyone who has and had any warranty issues. The site is below with the part causing concern below also.

http://www.fishonmarine.com/page.php?page_id=14710

"Most manufacturers will allow you to return your unit to the US for warranty service but we just learned that Lowrance and Eagle will not. Effectively if you purchase either of these brands you do so with the knowledge that you have no warranty."

Stido1
17-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Bit of a worry, it also says that Northstar/Navman may not be covered.

Mike Delisser
17-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I asked one US web site for a quote on a new Lowrance HDS5 and they said forget it, they recon they were having too many warranty issues with them so they decided not to sell them to customers outside the US, he said he would sell me any other brand or any other Lowrance unit but not the HDS series.
Ended up buying a Humminbird locally with full warranty and metric, very very happy.
Cheers

Obi _ Wan
17-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I asked one US web site for a quote on a new Lowrance HDS5 and they said forget it, they recon they were having too many warranty issues with them so they decided not to sell them to customers outside the US, he said he would sell me any other brand or any other Lowrance unit but not the HDS series.
Ended up buying a Humminbird locally with full warranty and metric, very very happy.
Cheers

Mike, I know a few blokes that have had enough of the lowrance failures and now are either talking Humminbird or already have one. This is after continuing problems that just keep turning up even in new headsets
I am having a spit at the moment as my LCX 25C has a few problems which should be easy to fix as the problem is an internal contact and is only intermittent. If lowrance had a repair centre that actually repaired the bloody things it probably would not be so bad instead of saying we don't fix them, give us some more money and we will give you a new headset. With me its $800.00 and an exchange LCX27C an out of date model with only three months warranty.

At the moment i am looking for someone who can fix lowrance sounders with only small problems, if not i will try and fix it myself.

Then i will take the lowrance stickers off my boat.

Cheers,
John.

Noelm
18-12-2009, 08:03 AM
it might seem like a "loose wire" to you, but to find a fault like that can take ages, been in the game for long enough to know.

Noelm
18-12-2009, 08:05 AM
to comment on the post, I guess it comes down to the fact that if you want to buy over seas, then do it, you get the item cheap, and do an Aussie out of a sale, it may go for years and you are in front, it could bugger up next week and your behind, its a gamble, take it or leave it.

Stido1
18-12-2009, 02:42 PM
to comment on the post, I guess it comes down to the fact that if you want to buy over seas, then do it, you get the item cheap, and do an Aussie out of a sale, it may go for years and you are in front, it could bugger up next week and your behind, its a gamble, take it or leave it.

That is true Noelm but reading through the posts I think the bigger issue is companies willing to sell inferior products to punters. Have they ever heard of QA? It shouldn't matter where you buy a product from, sell a quality product & they shouldn't have to worry about warranty claims. Only pick up the odd hiccup that slips through the system & if there is the odd problem & you've purchased from overseas well you're up for postage cost.:)

Obi _ Wan
18-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Agree through and through Stido1, spot on mate.

My first LCX25C Would not even fire up out of the box, no QA no Service, it's just give us the money and rack off.

John.

patrol50
18-12-2009, 07:03 PM
mate i bought an lcx 27 c unit at the right price 18 months ago from B#O#N#S#E#R# I#MP#O#R#T#S an aussie living and trading in the states and if you have a warranty issue you send it back to him and he gets it sorted and splits cost of freight 50 /50 - no problems with the unit so no issues but he always said dont send it direct to lowrance - giver him a try if you like but the hds units do seems to be having too many issues for my liking
see you rob

obi wan try grand marlin - petes pretty handy with electronics

Heath
18-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Seems weird and it does not mention anything on the Lowrance USA website as quoted on the fishonmarine page.

All I can say is that I had an issue with my OS bought Lowrance and I got my replacement quicker than a mate with a locally bought Garmin.

Mike Delisser
19-12-2009, 12:58 PM
mate i bought an lcx 27 c unit at the right price 18 months ago from B#O#N#S#E#R# I#MP#O#R#T#S an aussie living and trading in the states and if you have a warranty issue you send it back to him and he gets it sorted and splits cost of freight 50 /50 - no problems with the unit so no issues but he always said dont send it direct to lowrance - giver him a try if you like but the hds units do seems to be having too many issues for my liking
see you rob

I've heard good reports about your B#O#N#S#E#R I#M#P#O#R#T#S but they also refuse to send over any of the Lorance HDS units because of reliability issues.